Extreme Couponing Tip: Cereal Sales
“When does cereal typically go on sale? When should I stock up?”
- At the beginning of the year, you’ll find a lot of the diet and healthy cereals on sale — like Special K and Kashi, for all the New Year resolutions. January is also National Oatmeal month.
- February is National Hot Breakfast month. During this time, you’ll find a lot of oatmeal, cream of wheat, and grits coupons & sale promotions.
- June is national dairy month, so there will some good prices on milk, and therefore cereal. Keep a look out for promotions like “Buy 4 cereals, get a free gallon of milk Catalina”.
- September is National Breakfast month. In ads you’ll find a lot of kids cereals on sale during August/ September saying things like, “Start your kids’ day off right by eating breakfast!” Back to School specials will usually include Cheerios, Life, Frosted Flakes, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, etc.
- In November and December, you’ll find great deals on cereals like Chex and Crispix that are great for holiday party mixes.
Stock up prices for cereal should be $1.00 or under for larger boxes (17 oz +) and more expensive types (e.g. Post Selects, Kashi GoLean Crunch, etc). Aim for $0.50 or under for common varieties under 16 oz (e.g. Cheerios, Chex, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, etc).
Also be on the lookout for these extras:
- Mail-in Rebates: Look for specially marked boxes that offer mail-in rebates, free gas cards or movie tickets when you buy participating cereals.
- Try Me Free! New cereals will sometimes offer a “free after rebate” just for trying the cereal. For the cost of a stamp, you can sample the newest flavors and mixes!
- Peelies: Some cereals will have peelies that offer savings on that box or a corresponding product, like fresh fruit or milk.
- Free Samples: Sign up for free cereal samples from your favorite companies when they come around. Not only will you get a complimentary bowl full, they’ll almost always send a coupon for your next box!