I will admit, I have always been frugal. Some have even called me a cheapskate. But what really turned me into a raving saver was having a baby. I never understood what a huge chunk of one’s budget disappeared once that little bundle of cash-strapping joy arrived. So, I started hitting the couponing websites (which led me to my new best friends, the Krazy Coupon Ladies!) and signed up for every baby club I could find! I am proud to say, I have never once paid full price for diapers or baby food in my daughter’s 19 month life!
Here are a few of the programs that helped me:
Diapers & Wipes
• Pampers Gifts to Grow: You will not only receive manufacturer coupons in the mail, but earn points for every package of diapers and wipes you purchase. The rewards catalog is full of goodies you can purchase using your Gifts to Grow points, including toys, magazine subscriptions, and even coupons for FREE diapers!
• Huggies Enjoy the Ride: Same concept as Pampers, different freebies catalog.
*Note: Being enrolled in both these programs helped us to learn which formulas our daughter could tolerate and which one upset her tummy without having to spend 20-something dollars on a can of formula! Major BONUS!!!
• Enfamil: Upon registering, you will receive a welcome package with formula coupons (in the form of what are known as manufacturer checks), informational materials about newborn feeding, a sample can of formula (which is actually pretty big!) and either an insulated bottle bag or something similar (they change from time to time). You will continue to receive manufacturer checks toward Enfamil products about every month or so, in addition to emailed newsletters full of info on baby care. Once baby turns one year old, you’ll start receiving coupons for their toddler formula, Enfagrow.
• Similac Strong Moms: The Strong Moms program is similar to Enfamil’s program in that you’ll receive a welcome package with coupons, formula samples, and other freebies. You will also be enrolled for their monthly newsletter.
Baby Food, etc.
The following programs will enable to you to receive TONS of manufacturer coupons both in the mail and in their monthly newsletters. The best part is that since you enter your child’s date of birth, they will send you coupons for the age-appropriate foods, etc. as your baby grows!
• Gerber Start Healthy Stay Healthy: LOADS of coupons mailed to you at each stage of baby’s growth!
• Beechnut: Along with the coupons you‘ll receive in their monthly newsletters, Beechnut has recently started a rewards program to earn ADDITIONAL coupons toward their products!
• Earth’s Best: Earth’s Best really should have a category of its own since they carry a variety of organic baby through preschool age products, including formula, baby food, diapers, and snacks. They do not have a rewards program but have excellent printable coupons on their website.
Grocery Store/Mass Retailer Baby Clubs
Creating a baby registry at either Target or Walmart will automatically get you a plethora of baby product samples and coupons. However, I found that enrolling in the baby clubs at my local grocery stores paid off BIG TIME in coupons! Since grocery stores are so regional, I won’t list all the programs available, but go to your local chain’s website or visit customer service to get an enrollment form on your next trip.
Here’s an example: Since I live in Florida, I joined the Publix Baby Club. Not only have they sent me amazing store coupons for baby products but coupons for cleaning products, milk, meat, and deli items. Even better, some of the coupons are for FREE FULL-SIZED PRODUCTS!! Even though my daughter is a toddler, I’m still getting coupons. It is totally worth it to see if your grocery store(s) have similar programs.
So, the moral of the story is, “It may take you years to get back that pre-baby body but only a few clicks of the mouse to get back your budget!”
This has been a guest post by Michelle from Port Charlotte, FL
Find out more about the KCL Contributor Network!