Shortly after graduating college and having my first baby, I found myself in a rather desperate monetary situation. Before I discovered the extreme couponing way of life, I was forced to get very creative with the ways in which I spent (and did not spend) my hard-earned cash.
While shopping at my local supermarket, I came across an organic section with a large sign that said “Food/Health and Beauty products.” Interested, I began browsing. I came across a bottle of Organic Apple Cider Vinegar and began reading the back of the bottle for its multi-purpose uses. Since I had no Internet access at the time, I decided to put a $2.39 gallon of apple cider vinegar to the test–supplementing the areas of my budget where health and beauty items would typically fall that I could no longer spend money on.
While I may have begun using these strategies out of desperation, the benefits of apple cider vinegar will never be replaced by an expensive name-brand product for these uses by me ever again!
- Face: Apple cider vinegar regulates the pH of your skin. Combine 1 cup apple cider vinegar with 1 cup cold water in a plastic bottle (I use recycled baby food jars) and apply with a cotton ball morning and night in lieu of a toner, astringent, or age spot remover.
- Feet and Hands: Rubbing apple cider vinegar onto swollen hands or feet reduces swelling. A wonderful thing to have during pregnancy!
- After-Sun Exposure: Diluting 1-2 cups of apple cider vinegar in a warm bath after excessive sun exposure – that may have yielded a sun burn – relieves symptoms and lessens the duration of a burn.
- Hair: Use apple cider vinegar as a shampoo/conditioner replacement. Combine 4-5 Tbsp. baking soda with 1 part apple
cider vinegar and 1 part water for a clarifying and chemical-free shampoo. Rinse and then apply 1 cup apple cider vinegar as a conditioning rinse. If you have a difficult time with the smell in the shower, add essential oils to your mixes. Some of my favorites are citrus and lavender.
- Weight Loss: Have an extra 10-15 stubborn pounds you need to shed? Try adding a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to every 8 oz. glass of water you drink throughout the day. If you maintain the daily intake of 64oz. of water, you will start to see the pounds shed fast!
- Detoxification: If you are looking for a healthy detox, look no further than apple cider vinegar. Combine 1 ½ cups apple cider vinegar with one gallon of water and drink throughout the course of a day for an overall body and kidney detoxification. You can repeat this process for up to three days, but one to two days is generally sufficient.
This has been a guest post by Hillary from Lansing, MI
Find out more about the KCL Contributor Network!