Are you a teacher in desperate need of classroom supplies? Are you someone who wants to give back to education by putting materials in teachers’ and students’ hands? The website DonorsChoose is the perfect solution. This non-profit charity organization allows teachers to obtain donations for their classroom and for donors to choose projects they want to support.
So many of us have creative ideas for lessons and projects, but we do not have the materials we need. With DonorsChoose, you can create and submit a proposal with your project idea. Once it’s posted, donors around the world can contribute to your project. I have had four projects funded, which has placed over $1,000 worth of materials in the hands of my students. Because of this website and generous donors, my students now have flip video cameras, web cameras, a digital picture frame, and a series of biographies they use to enhance their learning experience.
The steps are easy:
- Set up an account and verify that you are a public school teacher here.
- Create a project by going through a step-by-step process on the website. You will select the materials you are asking for and explain the purpose behind your idea. Be creative with your title to catch the attention of potential donors.
- Post your proposal!
- While you are waiting for it to be funded, you can personalize your Teacher Page, email it to friends and family, and share it on social networking websites such as Twitter, Facebook, and Pinterest. All of these steps allow you to to spread the word about your fantastic project idea!
- Once it’s funded, you will receive notification, and DonorsChoose will ship the supplies directly to your school.
- Then, you and your students will show your gratitude by creating a Thank You package for the donors who contributed to your project.
- Last but not least, start using the materials you received and put your project into motion!
What do you need for your classroom? The possibilities are endless: computers, books, art supplies, furniture, iPods, technology. Start dreaming and let DonorsChoose handle the rest!
With this website, you have the ability to personally put materials into the hands of students around the world. DonorsChoose is a non-profit, charitable organization that allows you to hand-pick the project you want to support.
The steps are easy:
- Set up a donors account here.
- Start browsing projects that teachers have submitted. You can specifically search for projects by location, subjects, or resources.
- Once you’ve selected a project, you can donate as little or as much as you wish. All donations are tax-deductible.
- If the project is fully funded, you will receive correspondence from the classroom with personal thank you letters and cards.
You can feel good about giving back to the world of education and making a difference in the lives of students and teachers!
This has been a guest post by Keri from Slidell, LA
Find out more about the KCL Contributor Network!