Collecting junk mail might seem a little like a bad episode of “Sanford and Son,” but there is nothing funny about saving money. Become a neighborhood hero by offering to collect those unwanted pieces of mail, and enjoy the extra benefits that will come from collecting those additional coupons.
Many folks receive weekly mailers that contain a packet of coupons. In some cities, weekly mailings include SmartSource coupons (the following Sunday paper’s inserts).
Here’s how to snag more inserts and coupons for free:
- Renters: Speak with the apartment or condo manager and ask for permission to set up a recycling bin next to the mailboxes. Offer to empty the bin when it gets full.
- Homeowners: A similar collection process can be followed by asking a neighborhood association (or surrounding neighbors) for permission to set up a recycling bin near mailbox collection areas.
- Place the bin in clear view of the mailboxes and label it for recycling junk mail.
- Write a note and distribute to neighbors inviting them to toss their junk mail in the recycling bin. Sweeten the deal by attaching a piece of candy to each note.
- Is there another coupon enthusiast in the neighborhood? Speak with them and offer to share the riches!
This is a guest post by Erica from Austin, TX
Find out more about the KCL Contributor Network!