Here are the directions for the Franken Pops from our Budget Halloween Party. To learn where to find the best deal on all supplies needed for this bargain party, read more about our $50 Party Challenge and recreate this party for yourself!
FRANKEN POPS [cost $6.99]
Marshmallows, regular size
1 C Confectioners’ Sugar
2 TBLS Milk
2 Tsp Light Corn Syrup
Green Food Coloring
½ C Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips
½ Tsp Shortening
- In a small bowl, stir together confectioners’ sugar and milk until smooth.
- Stir in the light corn syrup.
- Add green food coloring a drop at a time until you achieve the desired green you’re looking for. Set aside.
- Gather the following supplies: black edible marker, 10 pairs googly eyes, 10 lollipop sticks, block of floral foam and toothpicks.
- Take 10 marshmallows and insert a lollipop stick in the center of each marshmallow.
- Dip each marshmallow into the sugar glaze. Gently tap off excess sugar glaze on the side of the bowl and place coated marshmallow into your block of floral foam to dry. Note: this can get messy as the glaze may continue to drip as it dries. If this happens, use a toothpick to scrape off the excess as it dries.
- Allow the glaze to dry for a little bit before sticking on the googly eyes.
- Once the eyes are in place, allow the pops to dry completely.
- Once they’re dry, melt the chocolate chips and shortening in a microwave safe bowl for 30 second intervals; be sure to mix in between so as to not burn the chocolate. Do this until you achieve a smooth consistency.
- Dip the top of the marshmallow pops into the chocolate allowing a bit to hang over the top of the marshmallow. Using your toothpick, begin to pull down a bit of the chocolate to form Frankenstein’s hairline (see photo). Allow to dry.
- With a black edible marker, draw a scary mouth of your choice and don’t forget Frankenstein’s stitches!
- Once dry, take some floral foam and/or crumpled up newspaper and place inside a Halloween tin bucket that can be found in the Dollar Spot at Target. Cover the newspaper with your shredded tissue paper. Arrange you pops how you like. So cute!
More Halloween Tutorials
This party was planned exclusively for KCL by Simply Chic Living.
Photographed by Profinish Design.