Everyone deals with mess and odor in their home. Did you ever think of looking in your cupboard for the solution? Vanilla extract is usually used for baking, but it can also be used to make your home clean and smelling great. Use these helpful and inexpensive solutions.
- On your vacuum filter or dust bag, add a couple drops of Vanilla Extract to create an amazing vanilla aroma every time you vacuum.
- For a quick clean up in the microwave, place a few drops of Vanilla Extract on a wet sponge and wipe down the inside. This will cover up any burnt or strong odors as well.
- Empty out your refrigerator, place a few drops of Vanilla Extract on a clean, wet sponge and wipe the entire inside. This will leave a delicious smell and attack tough odor. Not to mention, your refrigerator will smell great every time you open it.
- When you clean out your coffee maker, add a few drops of Vanilla Extract. Not only will this make the machine smell great, but your next batch of coffee will be less bitter.
- Out of air freshener? Soak a few cotton balls in Vanilla Extract and place them in the bottom of a vase with fake flowers or just a bowl. The smell will fill your room in no time.
I prefer to use Clear Imitation Vanilla Extract. The imitation extract has a more potent smell that will last longer than pure extract. Also, the clear extract doesn’t leave a brownish tint when wiping down the microwave or refrigerator.
Vanilla Extract can be found at these national stores and also at your local grocery store (prices vary).
- Walmart: McCormick Clear Imitation Vanilla Extract 2 fl oz: $2.06
- Target: Market Pantry Imitation Vanilla Extract 2 fl oz: $3.89
- Mackenthun’s (local grocery store): McCormick Clear Imitation Vanilla Extract 2 fl oz: $3.19
With these helpful tips, you’ll save money and have your house smelling refreshed! Next time you’re searching for a way to get rid of an odor, grab some vanilla extract out of your cupboard, and get cleaning.
This has been a guest post by Alesha from Waconia, MN
Find out more about the KCL Contributor Network!