Heather and Joanie on stockpiling savings
Joanie and Heather have created a video series to introduce stockpiling to newbies and experienced couponers alike. I’ve watched it four times already, and each time I watch it, I learn something new.
- Watch this month’s video: Couponing: What’s on Sale in October!
Stockpile these items
The categories are in bold, and the items that follow are just intended as examples—use them as your guide as you coupon, save and stockpile.
- Halloween: Get great deals on holiday candy, costumes and accessories!
- Baking sales (mid-October to late December): Take advantage of discounts on canned pumpkin, evaporated milk, baking chips and pie crust (mix and ready-made frozen).
- Seasonal Produce: Find deals on apples, artichokes, arugula, beets, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, chard, cranberries, parsnip, pears, pomegranates, potatoes, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, winter squash, turnips and yams.
- Outdoor gear: Camping in October, anyone? For most, this is a “no,” and retailers want to offload their extra inventory.
- Snow removal gear: Snowblowers, shovels, de-icers…in many areas, folks don’t need these things yet, but they will. Get yours early at a discount.
- Swimwear: Swimsuits, cover-ups, shorts, flip-flops, goggles—retailers are eager to unload these items in most parts of the country, where temperatures are rapidly falling.
- Jeans and juniors wear: The back-to-school rush has ended and the extra inventory must go to make way for holiday festive wear.
- National Seafood Month: Specials on fish, shrimp, lobster, crab and promotions around the topic of sustainable seafood.
- National Breast Cancer Awareness Month: You will see lots of promotions and deals featuring participating “pink” products, as well as free screenings and self-check tools.
- National School Lunch Week: October 4-10, look for savings on healthy snacks and packaged lunch foods for kids.
- National (Healthy, Affordable, Sustainable) Food Day: On October 24th, the whole nation celebrates access to healthy, affordable, sustainable food sources. Expect to see savings on eco-friendly products and groceries.
- National Greasy Foods Day: In what is perhaps the ultimate irony, October 25th is National Greasy Foods Day. Fast food eateries will be celebrating to the hilt with freebies and discounts.
- ASPCA’s Adopt a Shelter-Dog Month:October offers a whole month devoted to shelter rescues. Look for deals on wet and dry dog food, dog toys and chews, as well as special offers when you adopt a shelter pet.
Don’t buy these items yet
November ushers in a whole new crop of mouth-watering deals, discounts, and savings as the holiday shopping season begins in earnest. Hold off on buying any of these items until November 1st.
- Baking goods: Deals on nuts, chocolate chips, evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, coconut, cake and brownie mixes, and Chex cereal (for homemade Chex mix—yum!).
- Canned foods: Deals on soup, broth, vegetables and fruits and spaghetti sauce.
- Holiday staples: Pick up discounts on turkey, canned pureed pumpkin, stuffing mix, boxed potatoes, gravy mixes, ready-to-bake rolls, frozen pies, cranberry sauce, gelatin and marshmallows.
- Seasonal Produce: Score tasty discounted apples, beets, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, carrots, celery, cranberries, kiwis, lemons, oranges, pears (Anjou & Comice), potatoes, pumpkin, squash and yams.
- Halloween Clearance: This is the best time to stock up on things for the next year: door decorations, spider webs, candy bowls, yard and outdoor props, plates, cups, napkins and tablecloths, window clings, pumpkin carving kits, streamers, confetti, string lights, Halloween candy-alternatives to stretch next year’s candy bowl supply. Also party favors like: spider rings, erasers, plastic fangs, pencils, bookmarks, stickers and bouncy balls.
- Black Friday/ Cyber Monday: Deep savings on doorbusters and advertised items ranging from clothing and toys to electronics and appliances. Research sales, make a list, and stick to it for the best results.
- Seasonal clearance: Get cheap rakes, outdoor furniture and bikes.
Curious about upcoming stockpile savings?
If you just can’t wait to see what savings the future holds for your growing stockpile, you will love this post by Joanie & Heather!