From cable-knits to chinos, seersucker to sailor stripes, J.Crew is a preppy powerhouse. But ever since our oh! so fashionable First Lady starting sporting J.Crew at high-profile public appearances, the prices at J.Crew have seemed to skyrocket alongside the brand’s newfound popularity. And frankly, when the fashion media reports that Mrs. Obama and other celebrities mix in “low-end” pieces from J.Crew with more expensive labels, all I can do is laugh in disbelief at the media’s idea of “low-end.”
Flipping through the most recent J.Crew catalog, I saw ballet flats for $158.00, linen pants for $118.00, and striped oxford shirts for $79.50—with these steep price points, J.Crew is anything but “low-end.” After all, at full price, J.Crew merchandise is out of reach for the majority of shoppers. Fortunately, if you’re anything like me and covet all things J.Crew, there are various ways to save money at J.Crew.
- Student/Teacher Discount: I never knew about this until I saw an itty bitty sign tucked away in the back of a J.Crew dressing room.Teachers and students can receive a 15% discount on full-price items by presenting a valid school ID. This discount is only valid for in-store purchases, and some exclusions may apply.
- The Red Phone: There is a red phone in all J.Crew stores that allows customers to place store and catalog orders for full priced items. All orders placed using the red phone will receive free shipping.
- Online J.Crew Factory Store: While the J.Crew outlet (known as the J.Crew Factory Store) offers some great deals, not everyone lives near the outlet store. Luckily, everyone can shop at the online J.Crew Factory Store which is a weekend only virtual store that opens Friday at midnight and closes Sunday at midnight. While both the online and brick and mortar J.Crew Factory Store generally feature “made straight for outlet” merchandise that is of inferior quality to normal J.Crew merchandise, you can still pick up some great pieces at discounted prices at the J.Crew Factory Store.
- Shop J.Crew Children’s Line: J.Crew’s children’s line, Crewcuts, isn’t just for the kiddies—many of the clothes and shoes at Crewcuts are mature enough for grown women. In fact, some Crewcuts items appear to be almost identical to their grown up counterparts at J.Crew, albeit significantly cheaper. If you are petite and slender, then you may be able to fit into some of the larger Crewcuts sizes. For example, a Crewcuts Girls Size 14 is indicated for a female 4’10”-5’3”, 90-112 lbs., with a 26” waist, 34” seat (hip), and a 32” bust (chest). By comparison, a J. Crew Womens Petite Size 2 is indicated for a woman under 5’4” with a 25” waist, 34” hip, and a 32.5″ chest. As such, if you can fit into a J.Crew’s Womens Petite Size 2 or smaller, it’s likely you will be able to fit into about a Crewcuts Girls Size 14. As for shoes, a J.Crew Womens Size 6 is equivalent to a Crewcuts Girls Size K5. For complete J.Crew and Crewcuts size charts, click here. Check out the following Crewcuts items that are nearly identical (except in price) to J.Crew items:
Left: J.Crew Women’s Crepe Cotton Cardigan in Safari Cat ($88.00)
Right: Crewcuts Girls’ Caroline Cardigan in Safari Cat ($58.00)
- Find Coupon Codes, Discounts, and Promotions: J.Crew frequently has online coupon codes and promotions for free shipping or discounts. I stay abreast of these coupon codes, discounts, and promotions by both looking up J.Crew at RetailMeNot and subscribing to J.Crew emails (sign up here). Also, I regularly check out the blog J.Crew Aficionada (which is neither affiliated with J.Crew nor KCL). On the right-hand column of J.Crew Aficionada’s main page, there is a frequently updated section called “Events and Promotions” that lists current coupon codes, sales, and discount information for J.Crew, Crewcuts, J.Crew Factory Outlet, and Madewell (J.Crew’s new sister store).
- The J.Crew Credit Card: If you sign up for a J.Crew Credit Card, you will receive 10% off your first purchase with your J.Crew Card (discount may not be applied to the purchase of gift cards, vintage and one-of-a-kind items, bridal gowns and third party branded merchandise). Under the J.Crew Card Rewards Program, you can earn a $25.00 gift card for every $500.00 you spend on your J.Crew Card.
- Earn Cash Back: When you shop at J.Crew through Ebates, you get 3% cash back. When you shop at J.Crew through Shop at Home, you get 7% cash back.
- Buy Discounted J.Crew Gift Cards: Buy discounted J.Crew gift cards for typically 5-15% off their face value at Plastic Jungle and GiftCardRescue.