It may be Independence Day weekend, but there are still some good airfare deals to be had. For travel newbies, a number of US airlines offer last-minute airfare specials beginning Tuesdays for travel on the upcoming weekend. Most fares are non-refundable and must be purchased immediately, but these specials often represent significant savings over advance purchase fares.
United Airlines – Dozens of Internet specials this week, mostly to or from their hubs in Houston, Newark, Chicago, Cleveland and Denver. Purchase before 11:59 p.m. (EST) July 6. Departures after 7 p.m. on July 6 or anytime July 7 and return on Monday, July 9 or Tuesday, July 10. Taxes and airport fees are additional. This week’s fares include:
- Atlanta to Houston – $220
- Chicago to New York City – $221
- Cleveland to Philadelphia – $161
- Houston to Memphis – $155
- Los Angeles to Tucson – $161
US Airways – Purchase E-saver fares by 11:59 p.m. (EST) on July 7 for travel departing July 7 and returning July 8 to July 10. Taxes and fees are additional. The best round-trip fares:
- Pittsburgh to Hartford, CT – $228
- New York/LaGuardia to Greensboro – $230
- White Plains, NY to Washington/Reagan – $200
Delta Airlines Web Deals – There are no weekly Web specials for Delta this week.
American Airlines Net Fares - Specials for both this weekend and for next weekend. These must be purchased by 11:59 p.m. (CST) on July 6. For this weekend’s specials, you can travel July 6 after 7 p.m. or anytime July 7 and return July 9 or July 10. For next weekend’s specials, you can travel July 13 after 7 p.m. or anytime on July 14 and return July 16 or July 17. Highlights include:
- Chicago to Lexington, KY – $180
- Chicago to Little Rock – $208
- Chicago to Ottawa, Ontario, Canada – $294
- Nashville to Washington DC – $182
- Chicago to Huntsville – $196
- Cincinnati to Tulsa – $282
Remember, there are a limited number of seats available for these airfares and they may sell out at any time. Read the fine print before you purchase.