Sorry — this deal is no longer available. Never miss another deal! Sign up for daily updates:
You would be shocked at how many times a day we get comments and emails like this one regarding Target and their coupon policy:
I had a quick question for you. Today my mother went to target and tried to use some manufacturer coupons. She tried to use them on the travel items in order to get them for free. When she presented the coupons to the cashier she said that they could not accept them because they were for more than the price of the item. Example: She tried to use a $1 Manufacturer Coupon for tide on a travel size that was selling for $.94. She looked at the coupon and it said any tide product. There was no size restrictions or anything. When asked why they couldn’t accept the coupon the cashier asked the manager to come to her line and the manager preceded to tell my mother that they couldn’t accept the coupons. I have read on your blog and others that you can use manufacturer coupons and store coupons on travel items to get them for free. Has anyone else ran into this problem? Is there an official store policy? When my wife and I used coupons at target on a separate trip they allowed us to use them although the coupons were worth more than the price of the item. Also on your post about getting target cereal for free or cheap, it said to get target to price match the walgreens ad, but in your store policies section it says target will not price match. Will they price match or will they not?
Thank you for your time
So here it is:
- Target Stores MUST accept a coupon for $1 if the item rings up at $.94, but they do not give overage, they just adjust the coupon down. Here is verbatim what their policy says: “We can’t give cash back if the face value of a coupon is greater than the purchase value of the item; in this case, we’re able to adjust the value of the coupon to equal the price of the item.”
- Go HERE for the Official Store Policy, or better yet, request your very own copy by emailing corporate.
- Target does Match Competitor Prices. Just bring in their ad, and they will match the price on the EXACT item.
- Lastly AND MOST IMPORTANTLY Target has this to say: “All Target stores should be following the same coupon policy. The next time you have an issue using coupons please have them call us at (800) 440-0680 while you’re still in the store. Our Guest Relations Team will help assist with any questions they may have about coupons.” If you run into a problem like this KCG mentions in their question, and the manager is refusing your coupon (especially on a trial size item when there is NO size restriction) have the manager call the number listed while you are still in the store. We have had a large number of you do this, with great success. Corporate will explain to their manager that you are correct! Please insist that the manager call EVERYTIME you have a problem. This is the only way they will start enforcing the policy correctly and consistently.
1. Grab your cell phone. (I’ll wait while you do)
2. Dial (800) 440-0680
3. Save this Number as Target Customer Relations.
4. Leave a Comment, letting us know that you did it.