Finding activities to keep our children occupied while maintaining a tight budget can be difficult. By using a little creativity and a few items you have on hand in your pantry, you can create a fun-filled afternoon for your kids and maybe a few of their friends as well. Get ready, get set, GET OUT THE CORN STARCH!
Let's start the afternoon out with some HOMEMADE FINGER PAINTS!
- In a sauce pan, mix together 1/4 cup cornstarch and 2 cups cold water.
- Bring to a boil and continue boiling until the mixture becomes thick.
- Pour the mixture into several small containers.
- Let your children create their favorite colors by adding food coloring to each container.
- For younger kids, this is a great time to help them learn their colors!
Now that we have made many beautiful, colorful and very unique designs, let's hang them up to dry, and make some FACE PAINT!
- Mix two tablespoons of corn starch with one tablespoon solid shortening
- To add color, just use a little food coloring.
- Your kids will love it!
Next on the docket, for older children, help them write secret letters to their friends using "INVISIBLE INK."
- Use two tablespoons of cornstarch mixed with just a little bit of water.
- Cook this mixture on the stove until it becomes fairly thick.
- Using a small paintbrush you can write your message on paper with the cornstarch mixture.
- Make the following solution using iodine and water to make your message appear.
- Mix one part iodine to ten parts water
- Paint the mixture onto the message to read the secret letter.
Just because we have a tight budget doesn't mean we can't have fun. The important thing is to remember that we can have fun with anything at anytime, no matter what our resources may be. So let's open our pantries, get out that corn starch, and let the child in all of us enjoy this perfect play date!
This has been a guest post by Sheri from Geneva, IN
Find out more about the KCL Contributor Network!