Sorry — this deal is no longer available. Never miss another deal! Sign up for daily updates:
Living frugally doesn't mean that you can't take good care of yourself and still look your best. It's important that you pamper yourself a bit so your frugal lifestyle doesn't begin to feel like a deprived lifestyle. Commercial beauty products are very expensive, so what can you do?
Introducing a product that 99% of us have in our homes; it costs around a $1.00 a dozen and can be the secret to looking your best. What is it, you’re wondering? The INCREDIBLE EGG! A lot of you probably don't know that by mixing a few common household ingredients with eggs you can create a variety of very inexpensive hair treatments and facial masks sure to leave you shining!
HOMEMADE HAIR TREATMENTS
Lemon offers cleansing properties that help your hair shine and your scalp remain healthy while egg is an excellent moisturizer that will coat your hair with a protective shield.
- 1 Egg
- Any Fragrance Oil (use if you want to avoid smelling like an omelet!)
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
1. Mix all the ingredients in a bowl until they are blended together well.
2. Apply the mixture to your hair like a regular shampoo and massage well into scalp.
3. Let sit for 5 minutes; rinse well with cool water.
Egg & Olive Oil Hair Conditioner
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ tsp olive oil
- ¾ cup lukewarm water
1. Beat egg yolk until yolk is thick and white.
2. Add in oil and water and mix well.
3. Massage into scalp and hair. Let sit for 15 minutes.
NOTE: If you find that Fido's coat is lacking a little shine, add an egg to his dog food each day. He will love the tasty treat and will be guaranteed to be wagging tails at the dog park!
HOMEMADE FACIAL MASKS
Egg yolk masks, rich in Vitamin A (a strong anti-wrinkle agent), are ideal for those with sensitive and dry skin. Egg white masks can also make the skin tighter and firmer…goodbye, Botox!
Egg Yolk Facial Mask
Take one beaten egg yolk and apply it liberally to the face with a cotton ball. Let it dry on the skin for 15 minutes and then rinse off with cool water. This egg mask will replenish the skin and tighten up the skin pores.
Egg Softening Mask
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/3 cup of avocado, peeled and mashed
- 1/3 cup of milk
1. Beat the egg yolk until fluffy.
2. Add milk and avocado, mixing thoroughly with the yolk.
3. Apply to the face and leave on for 15 to 20 minutes.
4. Rinse off with hot water.
Frozen Egg & Honey Mask
- 1 egg
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon of honey
1. Beat the egg in a small bowl.
2. Add the coconut oil and honey slowly and beat the mixture until it is the consistency of mayonnaise.
3. Spoon the mixture into a cardboard toilet paper roll that is sitting upright in a small bowl.
4. Set in the freezer overnight.
5. To use, peel away the top of the cardboard roll and smooth the frozen stick over the face. Leave it on for 5 to 10 minutes, then wash off with warm water. Keep the stick covered with plastic wrap and freeze between uses.
Now that you know the many at-home treatments using eggs, host a beauty party and invite all of your couponing girlfriends over to share what you've learned, and help them start saving money on their beauty products too!
This has been a guest post by Staci from Geneva, IN
Find out more about the KCL Contributor Network!