If you're familiar with this term, you've probably seen one before. For the confused, I already know what you're thinking…diapers and cake probably shouldn't go together in the same sentence, right?
But that's exactly what this gift is all about: diapers formed into the shape of a cake! Not only will you capture the attention of the room when you bring in your one-of-a-kind gift, but this can also double as a centerpiece for the party. Florists and on-line websites charge anywhere from $50 up to $200, but you can make them for so much cheaper with a little coupon shopping and some craft time.
Diaper cakes can be as elaborate or as simple as you want to make them. You can incorporate different baby items, colored ribbon or objects to match the theme of the shower. You can even buy diapers with color on them. I know Huggies has a super cute denim diaper out right now that would make a great western-themed diaper cake!
If you are not the crafty kind – no worries! These are very simple to make. I even let my kids help. Here's a list of supplies you will need:
- A platter, cake board, or other sturdy item to use as the base
- Small clear rubber bands
- Diaper pins
- Wide ribbon
- Any baby items or décor you want to include: travel size baby lotion, baby shampoo, bottles, wash cloths, onesies, bibs, etc.
- Removable Glue Dots, or any other form of adhesive that won't stick to and ruin the diapers
I recommend venturing out to the dollar store, as most of the items listed should be available there. At my local Dollar Tree, I was able to find the ribbon, rubber bands, diaper pins, and several small baby items. You can also find hot deals on ribbon right after the holidays! Stores tend to mark it down dramatically, and that's when I like to stock up. Another great place for cheap ribbon is craft stores such as Hobby Lobby or Michael's. I often get "50% off one item" coupons in the Sunday paper, which makes even regular priced ribbon a great buy!
- Begin by rolling up each diaper and securing it with a clear rubber band.
- Once you have all of your diapers rolled, start forming the first layer of the cake. Take your ribbon and form a circle that is slightly smaller than the base of the cake. Cut the ribbon and secure with diaper pins. This is what holds all the diapers in place and also makes your cake look pretty! Begin to fill in your circle shaped ribbon with the rolled diapers. Depending on the size of your layers, you may need an extra set of hands on the first layer.
- Once the first layer is complete, repeat this step again making each layer smaller than the first. Three layers are adequate, but the sky's the limit!
- Next, stack your layers. To secure each layer, use a few removable glue dots in between. Also remember to secure the bottom layer to your base.
- Behind the ribbon perimeter, you can add baby items or décor you've chosen. You can also pin on bows, stuffed animals, or just add curled ribbon in between the layers.
- Make it your own! Be sure to use something fun for the cake topper.
The end result will be a unique, creative gift that the mom-to-be will surely love! The best part is that you've spent time putting lots of thought, love and creativity into your gift, but not a lot of money from your wallet.
This has been a guest post by Amanda from Palmer, TX
Find out more about the KCL Contributor Network!