A store where you can get anything for a buck lures in many frugal-minded shoppers. While many items are a great buy, especially when paired with a manufacturer coupon, others should be passed up in favor of better deals at other stores. Here’s a Buy It and Skip It list to help you get started.
- Food: Look for items that typically do not have coupons, like lasagna noodles, minced garlic, or frozen fruit. If you’re looking into buying name brand items that can pair with a manufacturer coupon, compare price per ounce to make sure you’re getting a deal that rivals or beats the grocery store.
- Crafts: Skip the full-priced craft stores and pick up dried flowers, photo frames, greeting cards and invitations at the Dollar Tree. Also check out candles, incense, and vases. Also check the Dollar Tree for holiday decorations including window clings, wreaths, garlands, ornaments, and Christmas cards.
- Kitchen: Get bargain prices for one dollar on glassware, rubber spatulas, plastic wrap (150 feet), plastic storage containers, terry washcloths, cloth napkins, and table runners.
- Personal care: While most personal care items will be cheaper at national drugstores with coupons and store rewards, the dollar store has the best prices on pill organizers, medical face masks, spray bottles, and pregnancy tests. Other miscellaneous items at great prices are shoelaces, socks, flashlights, measuring tapes, and night lights.
- Cleaning: Sponges, all-purpose cleaner, scrub brushes, bathroom cleaner, spray bottles, and dusters are all reasonably priced at $1.00 and even better if you use a manufacturer coupon!
- Party and Children: Make entertaining easier with great prices on paper plates, table covers, plastic utensils, gift bags, gift tissue paper, party favors, birthday candles, and balloons. Looking for goody bag fillers? Check out kid toys, puzzles, coloring books, stuffed animals, glow sticks, squirt guns, and costume accessories. If you’re taking part in a baby shower, look for great ad-ins like a bottle brush, bath bubbles, bath books, and baby spoons.
- Back-to-School: If you missed out on the awesome school supply deals from July to September, tide over your stockpile with goods that will be less than the specialty office stores for paper clips, rubber bands, folders, pens, scissors, student planners, poster board, etc. The Dollar Tree is also a great place for cheap calendars for the upcoming year!
- Cookware: That tiny muffin pan and mini saucepan are cute and cheap, but it is better to invest in high-quality supplies that will perform consistently for years. If you can’t afford new, check out the local Goodwill or thrift store.
- Personal care: Many toiletries are cheaper at national drugstores when you combine store and manufacturer coupons with reward programs: Think toothpaste, toothbrushes, floss, deodorant, feminine liners.
- Food: Some foods are far less expensive at the grocery store when store coupons and promotions are paired with manufacturer coupons and Catalinas: boxed pasta, candy bars, frozen veggies, paper towels, canned beans, brownie/cake mix, salad dressing, cream soups, tuna, macaroni & cheese, ketchup, and soy sauce.
Great news for all KCL Dollar Tree fans! We’ll now be covering some good deals each week and pairing them with available manufacturer coupons, so stay tuned.