The kids are back in school, so try this kid-friendly recipe—perfect for lunch or an afternoon snack! Use this coupon to save money on cheese: $1.00/2 – Kraft Natural Cheese Blocks, zip code 23235 – (coupons.com).
Ham and Cheese Pinwheels
1 1/2 cups warm water
2 Tbsp sugar – $0.04
2 Tbsp yeast – $0.12
1/2 tsp salt – $0.01
4–4 1/2 cups flour – $0.40
1/2 pound sliced ham – $2.37
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese – $2.00
1. Preheat oven to 170 degrees. Pour water into electric mixer bowl. Add sugar and yeast. Turn mixer on low for 30 seconds, until ingredients are combined. Let mixture rest 5 minutes or until it starts to bubble.
2. Add salt and 2 cups flour. Mix until combined and add 2 more cups flour. When dough begins to pull away from bowl, you’ve added enough flour.
3. Let dough mix on medium speed 5 minutes. Spray a baking sheet (we used a 21″x15″) with cooking spray and set aside.
4. Split dough in two and let rest 5 more minutes. On a floured surface, roll one ball of dough out into a rectangle about 15″x20.” Cover with half the ham and sprinkle with one cup cheese. Roll up and cut into 2″–3″ wide slices. Place rolls on pan.
5. Continue with remaining dough. Place pan in oven for 10 minutes (this helps the pinwheels to rise). Turn oven to 350 degrees and bake 15 more minutes or until golden brown.
Total Cost: $4.94