Here in part two of our two-part series on finding unclaimed cash, learn about seven more great resources for tracking down funds that may be owed you. If you missed part one, click here. Hopefully by the time you work your way through each of these resources, you’ll be richer without spending a dime!

6. FDIC insured unclaimed bank account cash

If you previously had a bank account of any type at a bank or other financial institution that was insured under the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) before it failed, you might have unclaimed cash still being held by the FDIC.

Here’s how to check using the FDIC's online search tool:

  1. Visit
  2. Enter your full name.
  3. Enter the name and state of the failed institution.
  4. Follow the instructions on the page to claim any funds owed you.

7. NCUA unclaimed credit union funds

In the same way that the FDIC is in charge of holding on to unclaimed funds from failed banks, the National Credit Union Association (NCUA) is in charge of the same for credit unions. Once a credit union that held federal insurance is dissolved, the NCUA does its best to return funds to former credit union members. If they can’t locate a member, they hold the cash. It’s important to claim these funds as quickly as possible, as unclaimed cash only holds its full value for the first 18 months.

Here’s how to check using NCUA's online tool:

  1. Visit
  2. View the "Listing of Unclaimed Deposits" page (or just click here:
  3. If you find your name, use the instructions on the main page to print out the claim form (located here: and submit your claim.
  4. You can also search by state using the web links on the main page (scroll to the bottom).

8. PBGC unclaimed pension funds

The Pension Benefit Guarantee Corporation (PBGC) is a U.S. Government agency that serves a similar function to the NCUA and the FDIC, but for unclaimed pension fund cash. If your pension plan failed, you may be owed cash.

Here’s how to use PBGC's online tool to search:

  1. Visit PGBC at
  2. You can search in three ways: by pension plan name, company name, or the 8-digit case number PBGC issues to prospective claimaints.

9. EBSA retirement funds

The Employee Benefits Security Administration, or EBSA, is yet another government-run agency that has the daunting task of matching up retirement funds with their rightful owners. Unfortunately, the EBSA doesn’t have one simple search tool like the other resources listed here—but you can contact them to request assistance unique to your situation.

Here’s what to do:

  1. Visit
  2. Visit the "Request Assistance" page at
  3. From here, you can choose from several options listed on the page, including asking a question, submitting a complaint, or reporting a problem.

10. National Registry of Unclaimed Retirement Benefits (for unclaimed 401K cash)

If you’ve left a job for any reason—whether you were let go, left of your own accord, or the company failed—you may have left unclaimed 401K cash behind. The National Registry of Unclaimed Retirement Benefits is a neat resource that was actually developed by employers to help employees find unclaimed retirement benefits.

Here’s how to use it:

  1. Visit
  2. Click on the button that says "Perform a Free Search" (or just click here
  3. Look to the right sidebar and enter your social security number
  4. If you have potential unclaimed cash, the search results will give you the next steps.

11. VA benefits

If you’ve served in the Armed Forces, the Veterans Administration (VA) offers tools to help you track down and claim funds that are rightfully owed you.

Here’s how to search:

  1. Visit the Veterans Benefits Administration at and enter your email address to stay updated on benefits and services administered through the VA.
  2. Visit the Veteran's Affairs website at to search the VA database on various types of unclaimed funds.
  3. Be sure to have the veteran's full name, date of birth and (if applicable) date of passing handy.
  4. You can also call this toll free number to request assistance: 1-800-669-8477

12. FHA-insured mortgage refund

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) tracks unclaimed refund money from insurance policies and mortgages related to FHA-insured housing. HUD has a special department just to handle inquiries called the Mortgage Insurance Premium Refund Support Service Center.

Here are four ways to search for unclaimed refunds:

  1. Visit
  2. Enter your name and case number to search.
  3. Send an email with this information to
  4. Call the toll-free number at 1-800-697-6967

Visit the free listing of state-specific distributions that are unclaimed:


For similar articles, check out:

Escrow: It’s Money You Never Knew You Had

401 Money-Saving Tips and a Fee Guide You Can Actually Understand

Got Money in Your Mailbox? Rebate Tips That’ll Get You Excited


How to Find Money Owed to You in Any State, Part II