If you have children in the house, then you know how quickly a box of fruit snacks can disappear! They are sweet, chewy, and the perfect portable size. Even adults want to nibble on them!
Why not have a little fun and whip up your own batch of fresh mango flavored fruit snacks? Not only is it fun, but you can avoid all of the preservatives and loads of sugar found in store-bought snacks. You only need a few ingredients, and the process is a cinch.
- 1/2 cup ripe mango, pureed
- 1 1/2 cups plain applesauce
- 2 tsp. powdered pectin (baking aisle)
- 2 1/2 cups sugar , divided, plus additional for coating
- An 8 x 8 glass pan
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Candy thermometer (for this recipe, a meat thermometer will do)
- Combine the mango puree and applesauce in a medium saucepan.
- Whisk the pectin and 1/2 cup sugar together in a small bowl.
- Clip a candy thermometer onto the side of the saucepan and bring your mixture to a boil.
- Whisk in the remaining sugar.
- Bring everything to a boil and stir constantly until your mixture reaches 225°, then remove from heat.
- Spray your pan with cooking spray then pour the mixture into your pan.
- When cool, sprinkle sugar on top and allow to set for about two hours.
- Once set, cut your mixture into 1-inch squares, or use a mini cookie cutter sprayed with non-stick cooking spray to make shapes.
- Dredge in sugar and dry overnight on a piece of parchment. Store covered for up to two weeks!
Not interested in mango flavored fruit snacks? Substitute pureed strawberries, blueberries, or your choice of fruit instead!