As Krazy Couponers we want to be beautiful AND frugal. One key to a great makeup finish is wearing a primer underneath your eyeshadow and foundation. It helps your makeup look fresh and last the day long. A downside: primers can be expensive. For example, my favorite commercial brand of makeup primer starts at $36! Eyeshadow primer is easily $20 a tube! A friend introduced me to two recipes which are now a staple of my makeup collection:
- Foundation. Try Maybelline New York Fit Me foundation at Walmart for under $6.00. But any foundation will do as long as it matches your skin tone.
- Moisturizer. Try some baby or sensitive skin lotion with sunscreen for about $6.30. Price match and use coupons to get the price even lower.
- Aloe Vera. Walmart offers this brand at under $4. But I found some at my local dollar store.
- Sunscreen (optional)
Eyeshadow Primer: Use equal parts foundation and lotion to make an eyeshadow primer that rivals an expensive department store brand. My eyeshadow lasts all day.
- ½ tsp foundation (that matches your skin tone)
- ½ tsp moisturizer or face lotion
- 1-5 toothpicks to mix
- old eyeshadow container (washed and dried thoroughly)
Mix the foundation and moisturizer with toothpick. Store in repurposed cosmetic container. Apply with sponge, brush or finger. Keep fingers out of the storage container so bacteria isn’t introduced.
Face Primer: There are many recipes for face primer. This one works for me.
- 3 Tbsp. moisturizer or face lotion
- 3 Tbsp. aloe vera (preferably clear but the green will work)
- 1 ½ Tbsp. foundation (that matches your skin tone)
- empty lotion bottle or crock (sterilized)
Mix together moisturizer, aloe and foundation. If you wish, include a few drops of sunscreen. Mix with a clean spoon. Apply with a brush, fingers or sponge.
This has been a guest post by Samantha from Pittsburgh, PA
Find out more about the KCL Contributor Network!