Want to expand your extreme couponing into retail? Kohl’s is the only store where saving an average of 60% or more is easy when you use Kohl’s coupons and these tips:
1. Spend $48—not $50—to get $10 in Kohl’s Cash.
During Kohl’s Cash earning periods, you can receive $10 Kohl’s Cash for every $50 spent. But, according to official store policy, as long as your order is over $48 you’ll still earn the $10 Kohl’s Cash. Remember, you must reach $48 after all applicable discounts are applied and before tax.
2. The best time to shop is 3PM Friday to 1PM Saturday.
Shop Power Hour specials to save an additional 10-25% both in-store and online. Night owls will want to shop between 3PM to close on Fridays. Early birds can shop Saturdays from open to 1PM. These in-store and online markdowns come around a couple times per month and will be advertised in your local paper and online.
3. Look for price tags with a square in the upper-right corner.
A square in the upper-right corner of an LCD price tag indicates the item has reached the lowest price of the season. The price of this item won’t drop again unless it goes on clearance.
Bonus Tip: Use Ibotta to earn cash back on apparel purchases.
One of KCL’s favorite rebate apps, Ibotta, can be used on more than just groceries! Browse through apparel offers in the app, unlock rebates by performing simple tasks like taking a one-question poll, then snap a photo of your receipt after purchasing a qualified item. The app is free, and right now you can instantly earn $11 just by downloading the app through our link.
4. Decode Kohl’s electronic price codes.
Like Costco, Kohl’s has a coding system to track markdowns and place signage. Codes appearing in the upper-right corner of an LCD price tag can include:
BB = Bonus Buy
BGH = Buy One, Get One Half Off
PP= Product Placement: The sale price is fixed and not a percent discount.
S = Sale: The item will be on sale for 1-2 weeks.
5. Price match in-store and online.
Kohl’s honors competitors’ prices for in-store items only—but you can still use a 15% off coupon on the lower price. (15% is the maximum discount offered on price-matches.)
Price-matching commandments you need to know:
- A competitor can be any national retailer that has a brick-and-mortar (physical) store (ex: Best Buy, Lowe’s, Walmart).
- Kohl’s won’t price match with wholesale clubs (Costco, Sam’s Club) and online-only retailers (Amazon).
- Kohl’s stores won’t match prices from Kohls.com.
- The price of the item must be sold by the retailer and not through a separate vendor.
- Kohl’s won’t match clearance prices or “Buy One, Get One” promotions—either by Kohl’s or a competitor.
- If you’d like to use a coupon, Kohl’s will only offer up to an additional 15% off the sale price when price matching. Simply, they’ll honor the competitor’s sale price with a coupon up to 15% off, or the current Kohl’s price with the entire coupon value.
- You can redeem Kohl’s Cash when price matching with a competitor.
- You must bring a copy of the competitor’s ad with a current date.
- If you want to price match an item on Target.com, you can show the price on your mobile device, and it will be at the store’s discretion whether or not the mobile version is honored.
- If the item you want to price match is an online item, send Kohl’s a link of the item on their website and the competitor’s website for verification.
6. Get paid when the price drops after your purchase.
If an item you bought goes on sale (at Kohl’s or at a competitor) within 14 days of your purchase, show your original receipt and proof that the price of the item was further reduced from the final price you paid (clearance and BOGO markdowns are excluded). Request a partial refund at the customer service desk or by calling (855) 564-5705. Also keep in mind that any coupon codes applied to your original purchase must still be valid in order to apply them to the new sale price. See Kohl’s price adjustment policy.
An example: Let’s say a week ago you bought an Adirondack chair for $62.90 after stacking two coupon codes, and today the chair is on sale for $59.99. You can receive a price match of $2.91.
Adirondak Chair (
reg $239.99) $84.00
Use code HONOR10 to get $10.00 off a $30.00 purchase
Use code SPRING to get 15% off
Free shipping with $75.00 purchase
Final Price: $62.90
If the “$10 off a $30 purchase” coupon code is still valid, you can get a price adjustment of $12.91. If the chair is on clearance for 80% off ($47.99), you can’t price match because Kohl’s doesn’t price match clearance.
7. Stack four Kohl’s coupons per purchase.
Insanity is shopping Kohls.com without a coupon code. Kohl’s allows up to four coupon codes per order. Find coupons at Kohl’s Today’s Deals and in your local Kohl’s “Today’s Ad”. Use up to four of the below:
- Up to one sitewide percent-off coupon code (ex: 15% off an entire purchase).
- Up to four department-specific, percent-off, or dollar-off coupon codes (ex: 20% off home bedding, $10 off a $30 children’s apparel purchase).
- Up to four Kohl’s rewards codes (ex: Kohl’s Cash and Yes2You Rewards).
- Up to one free shipping code (ex: free shipping on any order).
Make sense? One sitewide+two department specific+Kohl’s Cash. Or, one sitewide+three Kohl’s Cash. You can’t use more than four codes total.
8. Forgot coupons? Get credit even after purchase.
Forgot to use a coupon on your last Kohls.com purchase? Just email customer service with your order number and promo code. Once they verify the code is valid on the date of email and on the date of purchase, you will be credited in the form of the original payment.
Show unused coupons and your original receipt at the customer service desk for in-store purchases. Acceptance of coupons post-purchase is left to individual stores’ discretion.
9. Save an extra 5% all the time with Kohl’s free loyalty program.
Sign up for Kohl’s Yes2You Rewards in-store, online, or in-app. When you pay, just show your rewards card, your mobile device, or your email. Get one point for every dollar spent and $5 for every 100 points. Don’t hurt yourself thinking about that too hard. It’s basically like 5% cash back.
In addition to regularly accruing points with each purchase, you’ll also earn bonus points and receive special offers throughout the year (I’m talking about percent-off and dollar-off coupons, people!). Just don’t make the rookie mistake of not giving them your birth date when signing up. You want a birthday discount, don’t you?!
10. Calculate your savings in this order.
Regardless of the order in which you input your coupon codes or present your coupons in-store, this is how they’ll be calculated in the Kohl’s system:
- Department-specific, dollar-off coupons ($5 off a $20 fragrance purchase); then percent-off, Kohl’s coupon codes (15% off a women’s beauty purchase) will be applied to qualifying items.
- Dollar-off coupons (like Kohl’s Cash or Yes2You Rewards or $10 off an entire purchase of $50 or more) will be subtracted from your subtotal.
- Only one sitewide, percent-off coupon (15% off an entire purchase) will be applied.
11. Get free shipping on any item to any US location—no minimum.
Place any order for any item at the Kohl’s kiosk and ship it to your home or someone else’s home for free. (So, never buy a gift from Kohl’s and ship it yourself for your niece who’s out of state. Hello!) At the kiosk, you can stack coupon codes just like online, as well as earn and redeem Kohl’s Cash.
The only downside is that kiosks can be a little slow, and I’ve run into a handful of hiccups that required assistance from a sales associate (think of the kiosk like a self-checkout lane at the grocery store).
12. Connect to Kohl’s WIFI for an in-store coupon + points
Connect to Kohl’s WIFI for a free coupon (often $5 off $25 or $10 off $30) to use in-store. Open the Kohl’s app while connected to WIFI and get 10 free Yes2You points.
13. Aim for at least 60% savings.
With easy access to so many coupons, I make a point of not purchasing anything from Kohl’s unless I’m saving at least 60% off retail price.
14. Consider the Kohl’s credit card if you’re spending over $200 per year.
One of the most worthwhile store credit cards on the market today, the Kohl’s credit card saves customers an unheard-of average of 20% on every purchase all year. That’s because of regular (like, near-constant) exclusive coupon codes for Kohl’s cardholders that stack with other coupons. Exclusive Kohl’s coupon values fall between 15-30% off and are sent out to cardholders at least 12 times per year.
15. Pay down your Kohl’s card at the register.
Don’t trust yourself to pay off another store credit card without late fees? Use cash or a check to pay off your card at the register—or at the in-store kiosks immediately after each purchase (like, before you leave the store).
16. The worst things to buy at Kohl’s are electronics and shoes.
Kohl’s has a growing list of products that are not eligible for promotional offers and coupons. Most notably, the list includes nearly all electronics brands, Nike products, Keurig and NutriBullet, making them some of the worst items to buy at Kohl’s.
See the full list of exclusions.
17. The best things to buy at Kohl’s include apparel and kitchen appliances.
Some of the best deals we routinely see at Kohl’s include apparel deals on brands like Carter’s, Disney, Fila, Columbia, and Dockers; and kitchen appliance deals on brands like KitchenAid, Nutri Ninja and Dyson.
18. Text SAVE15 to KOHLS (56457) to get 15% off your next order.
19. Keep coupons and Kohl’s cash organized with the Kohl’s app.
Think of the Kohl’s app like your coupon organizer. Scan in your physical coupons and Kohl’s Cash, look up current coupons to redeem in-store or online, and watch your Yes2You Rewards tally automatically.
See video for details.
20. Save more post-purchase with mail-in rebates.
Kohl’s mail-in rebates can net you up to $40 or $50 in savings for just a few minutes’ work! Rebate offers can include prepaid Visa cards, cash back, valuable credits towards future purchases, and more.
View current Kohl’s rebates.
21. Kohl’s clearance prices are 60, 70, 80 or 90% off regular price.
Kohl’s clearance is where it’s at. Savings start at 60% and go up from there. Use this link for clearance at Kohls.com.
22. Kohl’s coupons CAN be redeemed on clearance items.
Don’t take your 80% and walk away! Use your 30% off coupon on top of the price for additional savings!
23. There are no time restrictions for returns.
Get cash back up to 12 months after purchase and in-store credit beyond that. In my experience, Kohl’s customer service is extremely accommodating on returns.
24. Be careful with Kohl’s Cash and returns.
If you earn Kohl’s Cash on an order and then do a partial return on that qualifying order, the Kohl’s Cash will be deducted first. So if you purchased a $139 coffeemaker and earned $20 in Kohl’s Cash which you spent on other merchandise, and decide to return the coffeemaker, you’ll only be refunded $119.
25. Use any credit card and lose your receipt.
Kohl’s return policy specifies that if you use any credit card to make your purchases, your shopping history is stored in the computer for a full year. This means you always get your full-purchase price back.
26. Save an extra 10% by shopping with discounted gift cards.
Another great way to get more bang for your Kohl’s buck is to buy discounted gift cards online—for example, you can save 8-13% on the face value of Kohl’s gift cards at Gift Card Granny!
27. If you’re a senior, shop on Wednesday.
At Kohl’s, customers who are aged 55 or better get a 15% discount each Wednesday when they shop in-store. Stack that discount with other department-specific coupons to save even more.
28. Earn 10% rewards on your Kohl’s registry.
Earn 10% rewards on gifts purchased from your Kohl’s registry. If you receive $800 in gifts from your registry, you’ll receive $80 in Kohl’s rewards to spend like Kohl’s Cash.
See details on Ever After Rewards.
29. Get a 15% off completion discount for every item on your registry.
Kohl’s offers a 15% wedding or baby registry completion discount. Meaning, if you create a registry and receive a minimum of one item from that registry, Kohl’s will send you a coupon worth 15% off the remaining items in your registry to use for up to three months after your event date. See Kohl’s registry FAQs.
For real-time Kohl’s coupons and deals, visit KCL’s Kohl’s page.