Most people have heard of the newest coupon craze: websites that are dedicated to selling vouchers for everything from dinner to shopping to home repairs and more. Bargain hunters all over are saving on everyday expenses and out-of-the-ordinary luxuries by scouring sites like LivingSocial, Groupon, BuyWithMe, KGBdeals and many others. But what many krazy coupon ladies don’t realize is that you aren’t confined to your home city when it comes to snagging these great deals. With savings averaging 50%, it only makes sense to use these savings wherever you can.
Use Group Buying to Plan your next Vacation
- Add your destination city. Once you have a vacation destination in mind, just log into your favorite deal site and alter your subscription to include the city of your choice. You will still get the emails or text messages (whatever notification method you have selected) for your home city, but now you will get notifications for your vacation city too! Several of the sites even have international options!
- Don’t wait til the last minute. This strategy works best if you have a couple of months of anticipation to plan your trip and keep a watch out for entertainment items, since every day brings a new deal; but even if you only have a few days or a week you might get lucky.
- Think outside of the box. Buy vouchers for things you would like to do at home but never have time: dance classes or movies or manicures!
- Watch for discount getaways. Take your savings to the next level and check the getaways and escapes sections on Groupon and Living Social for great lodging deals as well as the adventures sections of Living Social for fantastic day trips! Plan your whole vacation around the chance to save!
This really works! Here’s an example of how it worked for me! On a recent four night trip to New Orleans for 2 people, I was able to save BIG!
- 3 dinners, $50 for $25, $25 for $15, and $40 for $20
- 2 lunches, $15 for $7 and $20 for $10;
- ghost tour, $12 for 2 people instead of $24,
- trip to one of NOLA’s year round Mardi Gras exhibits, $20 for 2 people instead of $40,
- a cooking class, $15 instead of $30 (bought 2 of these)
- a manicure, $12 instead of $20
- two movie tickets, $9 instead of $25
- B&B on the North Shore, 2 nights for $189 instead of $350
- Boutique hotel in the Quarter, 2 nights for $169 instead of $290
TOTAL VACATION SAVINGS: $600!
I collected the vouchers over a couple of months using the four sites I mentioned above, because those are my favorites. What are your favorite deal voucher sites? No money for travel? Use the sites to plan an awesome staycation in your own city!
This has been a guest post by Dessari, Morehead City, North Carolina
Find out more about the KCL Contributor Network!