Make these scrumptious sweetheart pies for your loved ones this Valentine’s Day. It will warm their hearts and fill their tummies. Save on butter by using this coupon: $0.55/1 – Challenge Butter – (smartsource.com)
Sweetheart Strawberry Pies
Pie dough, store bought or homemade (recipe below)
1 cup chopped fruit: strawberries, blackberries, apples, cherries etc. – $1.00
4 oz cream cheese (half block), at room temperature – $1.00
4 Tbls sugar, separated – $0.07
Heart shaped cookie cutter
11 + 2 Tbls cold salted butter – $0.70
2 cups flour – $0.39
4 – 5 Tbls ice cold water
Directions for Pie Dough
1. Cut 11 tablesoons of cold butter into cubes.
2. Pour the flour in with the butter.
3. With a pastry cutter or a mixer cut the butter into the flour mixture.
4. Add the cold water until the dough forms a ball.
5. Place the ball of dough in plastic wrap and put it in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Directions for Pies
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Depending on the fruit you use, wash and cut it up, if necessary.
3. In a small container mix fruit with 2 tablespoons of sugar.
4. In a second small container, mix the cream cheese with 2 tablespoons of sugar.
5. Roll the dough out onto a floured surface.
6. Cut dough with heart cookie cutter.
7. Grab two hearts and spread one tablespoon of cream cheese in the middle of one and then top with fruit. You can use a variety of fruits. I did both strawberry pies and blackberry pies.
8. Place the second heart on top and press the sides together all around the heart. Then use a fork to press the sides together again to seal the dough. Continue until all pies are made.
9. Melt remaining two tablespoons of butter and brush it on the top of each pie.
10. Bake for 15 minutes or until light brown.
11. Remove from oven and dust with powdered sugar. Serve warm.
Serves: 8 people
Total Cost: $3.16