You probably consider yourself pretty familiar with Amazon, but I’m betting you don’t know even half of these Amazon hacks.
So, get equipped to shop on Amazon like you run the place in 3-2-1…
1. Reload your Amazon gift card with at least $100 and get a $10 bonus + 2% cash back.
Run out of cash on your Amazon gift card? Don’t toss it!
The first time you reload a gift card with $100 (or more), Amazon will add an additional $10 to your balance. This only works on the first re-load.
If you’re a Prime member, combine that $10 bonus with 2% rewards cash back if you use your checking account for the reload.
Every time you reload your card using that checking account, you’ll get 2% back in your account.
2. Select the less-popular color of an item to save 10-25%.
Before adding something to your cart, check for a cheaper color.
Less-popular color options (or colors they overstocked) mean instant discounts.
For example, this “chambray blue” The North Face jacket is $89, while the exact same jacket in “ambrosia green” is $67.83.
3. Get 3-5% cash back, or a $20 Amazon credit when you shop through Ibotta.
One of our favorite rebate apps, Ibotta, now offers Amazon rebates:
- 3% cash back on pet supplies, fashion, home & kitchen, luggage, and Amazon Devices like the Echo or Dot
- 5% cash back on Amazon Home Services
- $20 Amazon credit when you use Ibotta to sign up for Prime
- Free 30-day trials of Kindle Unlimited, Amazon Music Unlimited, Prime Video, and more
TIP: When you go to cash out through Ibotta, you can opt to receive your payment in the form of an Amazon gift card!
4. Double or triple your return window when you shop from Nov. 1–Dec. 31.
You usually have 30 days to return most Amazon-fulfilled products, but anything purchased between November 1st and December 31st may be returned through January 31st.
5. Add $20 to your Amazon Balance using Amazon Cash, and get a free $10 credit.
Amazon partners with local retailers like CVS to make it possible to purchase items on Amazon using cash with the Amazon Cash program.
Get an additional $10 credit when you add $20 to your Amazon Cash account before July 31, 2017.
6. Get up to 92% off Amazon products using SnagShout.
Planning to buy something on Amazon? First, check SnagShout to claim a promo code.
It’s no secret that online reviews are a big deal for manufacturers.
So, when a company releases a new product, they’ll offer steep discounts through SnagShout with the understanding that more buyers will equal more reviews.
7. Score up to 50% off previously used or returned items with Amazon Warehouse.
You’ll find plenty of high-quality used products in the Amazon Warehouse. This includes TVs, tablets, cameras, home appliances, lawn and garden items, or fitness equipment.
I found a single-serve Keurig marked down from $69.99 (new), to $55.99 (previously opened) — a 21% discount.
8. Look through the Amazon Warehouse Bargain Bin for up to 70% off baby items.
Every item in the Amazon Warehouse Bargain Bin is at least 50% off — and goes up from there.
The best part? Amazon tells you whether the item is used, or if the box was just opened and returned.
For example, I found this Halo SleepSack Micro-Fleece Swaddle with the “Open Box” note marked down from $20.17 to $6.70 — a 67% discount.
9. Get up to 82% off every day with Amazon Outlet.
Check out the Amazon Outlet to get deep discounts on just about anything you’re looking for, including kitchen gadgets, fashion, electronics, and more.
Outlet items are overstocked or just steeply discounted merchandise. And just like Lightning Deals, there’s a timer so you know when the deal will expire.
I found a $100 Metene Medical Forehead and Ear Thermometer for just twenty bucks!
10. Can’t return your item? Sell it for free on Amazon.
If you’ve passed the 30-day return policy on an item you don’t want, sell it for cash to another Amazon customer.
As an individual, there’s no fee to list your item, and you can set your own price.
11. Get free Amazon gift cards in exchange for used items with Amazon Trade-In.
Get immediate trade-in values for your used movies, books, tablets, readers, gaming equipment, and other gadgets with Amazon Trade-In.
Then, print a free shipping label and send it off. Credit will show up in your Amazon account once the item has been received.
I got $30 Amazon credit for my old Hobbit Trilogy Blu-ray set!
12. Pick up your shipment from a nearby Amazon Locker.
You’ll receive an email notification with a temporary locker code once your order arrives.
13. Use Paribus to get Amazon gift cards if your shipment is late.
Give Paribus access to your inbox, and if an Amazon shipment is later than expected, Paribus will contact Amazon to rectify the situation for you with free gift cards or another credit. For real.
14. Earn 3% cash back shopping through EBates.
Click to the Amazon website through the EBates shopping portal to get 3% cash back on your Amazon purchases.
You can even get a $10 Amazon gift card right now for signing up.
15. Or get 3% cash back deposited into your college savings account with Upromise.
Online shopping and saving for college don’t typically go hand in hand, but if you select Amazon on the Upromise shopping portal (operated by Sallie Mae), you’ll score 3% cash back deposited right into your kids’ college accounts, or to put toward your own student debt.
Don’t have college expenses to worry about? Cash out your 3% via check.
16. Give 0.5% to your local food bank when you shop through Amazon Smile.
From there, choose an organization close to your heart (they even partner with local charities!), and start shopping.
Approximately 0.5% of every purchase you make will be sent directly to the charity you choose.
17. Get 40% off when you order through Alexa Deals.
Own an Amazon Alexa device?
Just say “Alexa, what are your deals?” to hear a list of Alexa Deals featuring items up to 40% off.
And if you’re an Alexa owner, you should check out these Amazon Alexa Hacks.
18. Get a $10 credit when you ask Alexa to reorder an item.
Just make sure that the item you ask Alexa to reorder is at least $10 and it’s from your order history.
Within three days of Alexa placing your order, a $10 credit will appear in your account.
19. Get instant price-drop alerts with Amazon Assistant.
Once Amazon Assistant is installed in your browser, it’ll automatically compare prices while you go about your online shopping to alert you if you can get an item cheaper on Amazon.
It’ll also keep track of items you’ve been watching and notify you of special deals or discounts.
20. Get 5GB free digital storage without a Prime membership.
It’s true. Any Amazon customer can take advantage of 5GB of free digital storage.
Just sign up for the 5GB Amazon Digital Storage Plan to start uploading photos, videos, files, and more.
Prime members get unlimited photo storage, plus another 5GB for videos and other files included.
21. Ship donations to local charities for free when you use an Amazon box.
After unpacking your Amazon order, take the empty box and fill it with things you’ve been meaning to donate.
Your donation will be sent to the closest participating charity, and the items will go toward those needing employment placement, job training, and other need-based services.
22. Earn $18-$25/hour making deliveries for Amazon Flex.
There are at least 14 ways to make money with Amazon, including the opportunity to make $18-$25/hour in your spare time delivering Amazon orders to folks in your community.
23. Transform a low pre-paid VISA gift card balance into Amazon credit.
Have a low-balance VISA cash card in your wallet that you’re itching to get rid of?
Turn it into Amazon credit by doing the following:
- If your VISA gift card has a balance of $2.12 (for example), use it to buy a $2.12 Amazon eGift Card (you can purchase these as low as $1).
- Apply the Amazon eGift Card to your Amazon account.
24. Earn cash back on your Amazon groceries when you use Checkout51.
Amazon groceries are eligible for Checkout51 rebates! Just save your packing slip to redeem cash back offers.
25. Save 15-30% plus free shipping with Amazon Subscribe & Save.
When purchasing items you regularly buy (like toothpaste or coffee), sign up for the Subscribe & Save option to get an automatic 15-30% discount, plus free shipping (even if you aren’t a Prime member!)
26. Get a free audio book with your free 30-day trial of Audible.
Audible offers a free one-month trial that includes a free audiobook (that you get to keep!) from their library of over 180,000 audio titles.
Cancel your subscription within 30 days if you don’t want to continue or it’ll cost $14.95/month.
27. Watch movies with your free 30-day trial of Amazon Video.
In addition to featuring mainstream movies and shows, Amazon has cranked out some popular original series including Mozart in the Jungle and Suits.
After your trial, a monthly subscription will cost $8.99/month, or is included as one of the many Prime perks for $99/year.
28. Use Camelcamelcamel to make sure you’re buying at Amazon’s lowest price.
Did you know that you can be absolutely sure you’re getting Amazon’s best price?
Camelcamelcamel tracks Amazon items and tells you what a “good” vs “bad” price is.
Just create price alerts for items you want, and camelcamelcamel will notify you when Amazon drops the price.
You can also check an item’s price history to see if a sale price is as low as you can expect it to go.
This is especially important since Amazon recently suspended their 7-Day Price Adjustment Guarantee. Which means no more refunds if a price drops after you purchase it!
29. Mark your calendar for annual Prime Day in July.
It happens every summer, and it’s Amazon’s version of Black Friday.
Popular Amazon devices were marked 40% off this year, with Lightning Deals going around the clock including the $363 iRobot Roomba I scored for just $237.
30. Sign up for Daily Deal emails so you never miss a chance to save 80%.
Daily Deals are steeply discounted items (often up to 80% off) that disappear notoriously fast due to their limited quantities.
If you don’t want to risk missing out, go ahead and sign up for the Daily Deal email notifications.
31. Share your $99/year Prime membership with another family and you’ll both save!
Technically, you can only share your Prime account with one other adult and up to four children — and all must live under your roof.
But, here’s where the “alternative sharing method” comes in. . .
Your address book and payment options are virtually unlimited. Meaning, if Grandma wants to use your Prime account for the free two-day shipping, she can go ahead and add her address and credit card info to your account too.
See where we’re going with this? Get the full scoop about sharing Prime.
32. Get all. the. things. when you try Amazon Prime free for 30 days.
If you aren’t familiar with Amazon Prime, it’s definitely worth the $99/year price tag, but since I don’t expect you to just take my word for it, you can see for yourself by reading these 31 Amazon Prime perks.
33. Get free products to review when you join the Amazon Vine community.
Buyers with a history of incredibly helpful, thorough reviews can be invited to join an exclusive Amazon community that gets free products in exchange for reviews.
It can be hard to join since it’s invitation-only, but people who do absolutely love it.
34. Check RetailMeNot for cash back offers and promo codes.
RetailMeNot occasionally features Amazon promo codes, like $10 cash back on purchases of $60+ on Clothing, Accessories, Jewelry, Watches, Handbags, Shoes & Luggage.
35. Use the Amazon app to keep Target honest.
Use the Amazon app to find out if items at Target are as cheap as they are on Amazon.
Just tap the camera icon in the Amazon app, and take a photo of any product you want while out shopping or at home.
You’ll instantly see Amazon’s price of the item, with the option to place an order. But instead of buying on Amazon if it’s cheaper there, get your item instantly at the store you’re in. March your Amazon app up to customer service, and request a price match.
(This works at any of the stores that’ll honor Amazon prices, not just Target!)