It doesn’t matter if you’re shopping for pencils, backpacks, or back-to-school clothes, Target back-to-school supplies can save you serious cash!
We’ll show you how to get the best Target deals for back to school, no matter what you’re shopping for.
You should also probably follow our back-to-school deals page, because we seriously have you covered! You’ll get our stock-up price list, links to our favorite stores, and all of the latest back-to-school deals!
And of course don’t forget to download the official KCL app.
1. While you’re grabbing Target school supplies, pick up clothes like leggings for 53% off.
Before you grab Target school supplies like glue sticks and notebooks, hit up the clothing section.
Cat & Jack leggings are some of the best out there, and they run $6 a pair without sales — a price that’s pretty good on its own. (Plus they have some awesome designs your kids will love.) But here’s the thing: Target back to school always runs mega sales on kids’ clothes at the end of July and early August.
In 2018, we saw a gift card promo ($10 off of $25 spent on kids’ apparel) that brought these leggings down to $3.56 a pair!
Check out these comparisons:
Even without an awesome sale, Target still beats major competitors!
Make sure to check out our Target deals page before you shop — we’ll give you a heads-up on the best deals and coupons for your Target back-to-school run!
2. Buy Cat & Jack school uniforms while you’re back-to-school clothes shopping and save 50-75%.
Back-to-school clothes shopping doesn’t have to break the bank. Old Navy and Target are both popular picks for back-to-school uniforms, but Target will almost always beat Old Navy’s price! Check it out:
Bottom Line: Target is 49% less
- Cat & Jack Boys’ Uniform Short Sleeve Jersey Polo Shirt: $4
- Old Navy Uniform Stain-Resistant Polo: $16.00
Bottom Line: Target is 75% less!
3. Use Circle — even if you’re shopping for Target school supplies online!
Circle lives inside Target’s official app. It has hundreds of manufacturer and in-store coupons and savings you should consider for Target school supplies. Download the Target app, tap “Target Circle Offers,” and load whatever offers you’re interested in.
Circle offers range from as low as 5% off all the way up to 20% or more off back-to-school essentials. When it’s time for back-to-school shopping, you can use all the savings you can get!
During this time you’ll find deals on back-to-school clothes, supplies, and snacks in the Circle section of your Target app.
Here are some back-to-school shopping savings I found last time I visited the app:
- 10% off Paper Mate products
- 20% off Ziploc Bags & Containers
- 30% off CLIF Nut Butter Bars
PRO TIP: The manufacturer coupons on Target’s Circle app can only be redeemed once, so if you’re buying more than one of a product, check our coupon database.
4. Only buy back-to-school shoes when you have a Target Circle offer.
As long as you’re shopping for Target school supplies, don’t forget to keep an eye out for shoes. I like to wait until there’s at least a 20% off Target Circle offer to buy back-to-school shoes, but 30% off has happened in the past too!
5. Use the Target school supply list to get the deals without the crowds.
Don’t want to fight the unbelievable crowds while shopping for Target school supplies?? This nifty little service will pull up your exact school list and help you shop for it, sans crowds.
Here’s how it works:
- Visit the School List Assist on Target’s website.
- Select “Find your list.”
- Choose your delivery method — pick up in store or ship free if you spend $35 or more (or free if you’re paying with a RedCard).
- Enter your zip code.
- Choose your store location.
- Enter your school’s zip code. (I tried with just my school’s name, and it didn’t pull up, but the zip code worked like a charm!)
- Choose your child’s grade.
- Enter your email.
You’ll get a complete supply list as soon as they are ready. Once the list is ready, you can automatically populate your cart with items at the click of a button. Of course, these are the name brand, most expensive items.
To get less expensive substitutions, hit “Find Replacement” on any item you want to change and you’ll be shown all of the options available — i.e., less expensive!
6. Use manufacturer coupons to get pens on the cheap!
Earlier this year, we found a printable manufacturer coupon that brought ten-packs of BIC pens down to $0.57 when you bought two packs.
Even if there isn’t a $1 off coupon, there will probably still be some BIC coupons to drop pens down pretty cheap to save on back-to-school shopping. There’s even a 50¢ off coupon available right now.
Make sure to stay up to date on all the best back-to-school coupons with our Back-to-School page!
7. Stock up on back-to-school clearance for notebooks as low as two cents.
Back-to-school clearance is the perfect time to stock up for the future. Just last year, I saw Target deals that had the essentials at 50-90% off as the store got ready for Halloween. I even grabbed some notebooks for two cents!
8. Get 3% back while back-to-school shopping through BeFrugal.
Get some money back on your Target school supplies when you use BeFrugal. For your overall purchase up to $200, you can earn 3% cash back. Just search for Target, click “Shop Now,” and order as usual. There are plenty of options for cash back, such as Paypal, Venmo, and direct deposit.
9. Buy sandwich bags when they’re less than $0.50 a box.
This is one of those Target deals we see every few months and a definite back-to-school staple. Here’s an example of how the deal might look:
Use 30% Off – Hefty Slider Bags, Target Circle Offer
And use one $1/2 – Hefty Slider Bags 10-ct or larger
Final Price: $0.40 each when you buy 2
This is less than you can find bags at Dollar Tree, so we say stock up when these sales hit, especially for back-to-school shopping!
10. Look for Target gift card deals to earn at least $5 back.
Target gift card deals can vary. Most commonly, these deals pay anywhere from $5 to 20 for buying an item or combination of items.
- Buy 3 of an item, receive a $5 gift card
- Spend $20, receive a $5 gift card
- Spend $25, receive a $5 gift card
Some of our favorites for back-to-school time are for apparel. For example, “Spend $50 on apparel and receive a $10 gift card.” Make sure to keep an eye on Target’s promotions page as we get closer to schooltime to grab yourself a gift card completely free.
You can use any type of coupon — manufacturer or store — and still earn the gift card for this promotion.
11. Pay with your Target RedCard debit card to save an extra 5% on everything.
Target’s RedCard is an easy way to save. It’s a debit card that links directly to your bank account, so no fees or credit check required. So why not use it for buying Target school supplies?
If you’re a frequent Target shopper, then you need the Target RedCard. The best part? You’ll save 5% on pretty much everything Target-related, even if you do Shipt same-day delivery.
In July 2020, I saw a sign-up promo that got me $40 off a $40 purchase just for using a RedCard!
PRO TIP: There’s also a RedCard credit card, but the deals aren’t any better than the debit card, so we recommend the debit version for most people!
Don’t Scroll Up! These are the articles mentioned: