We're reader-supported and only partner with brands we trust. When you buy through links on our site we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date and time indicated and are subject to change.
When it comes to back-to-school shopping, don’t forget about the office supply stores! You may automatically think of Target back-to-school sales or Walmart back-to-school deals when planning your shopping list, but the Staples back-to-school sale every year includes deals that are priced to compete with even the biggest retailers. My local Staples is closer to my house than Target or Walmart, so it’s a no-brainer where I’ll be shopping for my school supplies next year.
To give you an idea of the savings, I’ll share the best deals we saw during the 2023 back-to-school shopping season, plus show you even more ways to save when you shop the Staples sale.
For more smart shopping tips and savings hacks, text HACKS to 57299, or download The Krazy Coupon Lady app.
Best Staples Back-to-School Sale Deals We Saw in 2023:
A few of these Staples deals were already at our recommended stock-up prices for school supplies. You were unlikely to find a better deal for Elmer’s glue, Crayola 24-count crayons, wooden rulers, or plastic folders than these.
As for the timing, expect deals like these to pop up in June and last until Labor Day.
- Staples Washable Glue, 4 oz, $0.40 (reg. $2.99) — 87% off
- Elmer’s Washable Glue, 4 oz, $0.50 (reg. $3.19) — 84% off
- Staples Cap Erasers, Pink, 12 ct, $0.50 (reg. $1.09) — 54% off
- Staples Cap Erasers, Assorted Colors, 12 ct, $0.50 (reg. $1.09) — 54% off
- Staples Manual Pencil Sharpener, $0.39 (reg. $1.39) — 72% off
- Staples 12″ Wooden Ruler, $0.50 (reg. $1.09) — 54% off
- Staples 2-Pocket School Folder, $0.50 (reg. $1.03) — 51% off
- Staples 3″ x 5″ Index Cards, 100 ct, $0.65 (reg. $2.29) — 72% off
- Staples College Ruled Paper, 120 ct, $0.99 (reg. $2.79) — 65% off
- Staples Wide Ruled Paper, 120 ct, $0.99 (reg. $2.79) — 65% off
- Staples Composition Notebook, $0.50 (reg. $4.19) — 88% off
- Staples 1-Subject Notebook, $0.75 (reg. $2.49) — 70% off
- Staples Block Erasers, 3 ct, $1 (reg. $2.49) — 60% off
- Crayola Crayons, 24 ct, $0.50 (reg. $2.09) — 76% off
- Staples Kids’ Scissors, 2 ct, $0.99 (reg. $2.19) — 55% off
- Crayola Markers, 10 ct, $0.99 (reg. $4.29) — 77% off
1. Join Staples Rewards to get 2% cash rewards, free shipping, and $2 for used printer cartridges.
First things first — make sure to join Staples Rewards to make the most out of every shopping trip to Staples — back-to-school season or not. The program is free to sign up. You’ll receive the following benefits:
- Receive 2% cash back on your purchases. If you hit Premium (by spending at least $1,000 at Staples) or shop using Classroom Rewards (more on that in a minute), you get 5% cash back.
- Get access to free shipping. But only on orders of $25+.
- Earn $2 back for every recycled ink or toner cartridge you turn in. If you’ve spent $50 on ink or toner in the last six months, you can exchange up to 10 of your old, used cartridges for $2/each. You can exchange up to 20 if you’ve hit Premium status.
2. Leverage Staples Rewards to score free back-to-school supplies.
Keep a close eye on the weekly ad or Staples.com for school supplies you may be able to pick up for free after Staples Rewards. In past years, we’ve seen deals like four free reams of paper at Staples.
3. Earn 5% in Classroom Rewards during the back-to-school season.
Have you heard of the Classroom Rewards program at Staples? It’s really cool. All you need to do is sign up for Classroom Rewards on the Staples Connect app. When you upload your receipts to the Staples Connect app, you’ll earn 5% all year long, plus another 5% to donate to the teacher or school of your choice.
In the past, we’ve seen it get even better during back-to-school season. Keep your eyes peeled for incredible offers of 10% – 20% rewards back on your purchases over the next couple of months.
4. Stock up on Staples school supplies with prices that rival Walmart and Target.
While the penny deals of the past are no longer offered at the $0.01 price, Staples does have a variety of store- and name-brand school supplies regularly priced under $1 during back-to-school season. We saw erasers, pencil sharpeners, folders, Elmer’s glue, rulers, index cards, loose-leaf paper, composition notebooks, and one-subject spiral-bound notebooks — all for under $1 each.
At some points during the back-to-school season, Staples’ prices will even dip down below Walmart‘s. You’re gonna have to hang on for a couple of weeks before this is true for most products, though.
Here are the rock-bottom prices to look for from Staples next year — if you see them marked down this low, stock up!
- Elmer’s liquid glue, 4 oz.: $0.50 (Stock-up price: $0.50 each)
- Crayola colored pencils, 12 ct.: $0.97 (Stock-up price: $0.90 each)
- Crayola markers, 10 ct.: $0.97 (Stock-up price: $0.95 each)
- Pink erasers: $0.25 (Stock-up price: $0.25 each)
TIP: Download our (free) Back-to-School Supplies Stock-Up Price List for 2023 so you know exactly which prices to look for on 80+ items.
5. Wait for backpacks at Staples to go on sale for 50% off.
Pay as low as $12.49 for backpacks at Staples when they go on sale for 50% off. Although this isn’t the lowest price we see on backpacks during the back-to-school season (I’m looking at you and your $4 backpacks, Walgreens), the Staples backpacks we’ve seen on sale in the past include six-piece sets that come with lunch bags, pencil cases, and more.
TIP: Jansport backpacks might cost you a bit more upfront, but they come with the Jansport lifetime warranty. That means you might not have to buy a new one from year-to-year, saving you more cashola over the long term.
6. Use Staples coupons or promo codes to stockpile copy paper for as low as $2 per ream.
If there aren’t any Staples Rewards freebies on copy paper at the time you’re shopping, don’t fret. It’s still a great place to buy paper — just make sure to wait until there are Staples coupons or promo codes available. In past years, we’ve seen the price drop as low as $2 per ream.
7. Use manufacturer coupons and store coupons to save even more during back-to-school season.
Staples accepts manufacturer coupons and offers store coupons in their weekly ad or on Staples.com. (If your cashier can’t scan a manufacturer coupon in, they can enter it manually.) This is a great way to maximize the savings on all your favorite Staples back-to-school supplies.
8. You can stack promo codes when shopping Staples back-to-school sales online.
True story! Staples issues product coupons in the form of promo codes, and also promo codes that apply to your entire transaction.
You can use only one transaction coupon on your entire order. BUT, you can combine individual product coupons on top of that whole-transaction coupon when you shop Staples online.
9. Just note the product exclusion for coupons on Staples.com.
The fact that you can use more than one promo code when shopping Staples online is pretty amazing. But there’s a looooonnnngggg list of exclusions. You can never use an online coupon for any of these products:
- Laptops & tablets
- Streaming devices
- Apple products
- Bose products
- Google products
- Ultimate Ears products
- Wacom products
- TI graphing calculators
- Most ink & toner
- Gift cards
- Phone cards
- Custom orders or promotional products
While there are a couple of big-ticket back-to-school items on that list of exclusions, the good news is that you can still use promo codes on the most common basics you’re likely to buy in bulk, like notebooks, crayons, and glue.