I always want to know how to get free everything, including Thanksgiving Turkey. But, those “free turkey” promos are total gimmicks. Right?
Well, it depends on how smart of a shopper you are. Here’s what you’ll need to know before shopping for a free turkey for Thanksgiving 2020:
- A 20-pound turkey is worth about 25 bucks (based on $1.25/lb.). Stores will likely be carrying a larger selection of smaller turkeys this year
- Don’t spend more than $100 in one visit to earn a free turkey
- Don’t buy items you wouldn’t normally buy
- Take advantage of a “buy a ham, get a free turkey” promo if you’ll use the ham (think: freeze it for Christmas)
- Watch for 2020 free turkey promos beginning in mid to late October and running through Thanksgiving
- Some of the deals below are 2019 promotions that we expect to come back for 2020
- Follow your favorite stores and we’ll get you the best Turkey deals as they come up
Download the Krazy Coupon Lady app so you can check the latest Turkey deals on the go. Gobble, gobble.
Here are the stores we think will be the best places to score a free Thanksgiving turkey this year.
1. Get a free Thanksgiving turkey (or a whole meal!) using Ibotta at Walmart.
From now until Nov. 25, you can get a free Thanksgiving meal at Walmart using just your Ibotta app.
Get up to nine Thanksgiving meal ingredients, sides and beverages — including a Butterball Turkey Breast Roast and Idahoan Mashed Potatoes — in this deal. Read more about Ibotta and Walmart’s free Thanksgiving meal deal.
2. ShopRite is offering a free turkey, ham, tofurkey, or chicken with the accrual of Price Plus points.
You’ll have to be a Price Points member and spend around $400 starting Oct. 18 to earn enough points for the free ham, turkey, tofurkey, or chicken. The ShopRite free turkey offer is good through Nov. 26.
2. Spend $100 at most WinCo stores and get a free turkey.
In 2019, WinCo invited shoppers to spend $100 before tax—not including the turkey—and they’ll give you a Grade A frozen turkey (excludes Butterball) on the house! In 2019, the promo ran through Nov. 29.
We think WinCo’s free turkey promo will make another appearance in 2020, but keep in mind not all WinCo stores are participating.
3. Hy-Vee may offer a free Honeysuckle turkey with every Hormel Cure 81 ham.
Prep the ultimate Thanksgiving feast when you buy a Hormel Cure 81 ham from Hy-Vee and get a frozen Honeysuckle turkey for free. The free turkey promotion ran in 2019 and I suspect it’ll be back in 2020.
4. Weis is offering a free turkey with 400 points, or $400 spent.
For every $1 spent, Weis Preferred Shoppers get 1 point. Four hundred points ($400 spent) gets you a free frozen turkey. Not a big Weis spender? You can also get a turkey for $0.49 per pound when you redeem $100 points.
Weis’ free turkey promo runs Nov. 5 – Nov. 26.
5. You can get a free 14-pound turkey with a $50 meat purchase from Fareway.
In 2019, shoppers who spent $50 on any fresh meat at Fareway — a supermarket with more than 120 stores across the Midwest — got a free 14-pound Fareway Basted Young Turkey.
Keep your eye out for similar free turkey deals at Fareway this year.
6. You can get a free Kroger brand turkey when you spend $150 at Fred Meyer.
Fred Meyer had a promotion in 2019 where shoppers could get a free 10- to 20-pound Grade A Kroger brand turkey after spending $150 (in a single trip), and I’m crossing my fingers that this year they’ll do something similar.
7. Trade 400 Giant Food reward points for a free 20-pound turkey.
In 2019, Giant Foods shoppers could earn 400 points by scoping out all the double-point items during the month of November, then trade them for a free 20-pound Turkey!
If you live in the National Capital Region — D.C., Maryland, Virginia — where most Giant Foods locations can be found, then your odds of scoring a free turkey for Thanksgiving 2020 are good.
8. Watch out for a free turkey with a $100 purchase at Acme.
In 2019, Acme offered free Signature Farms, Jennie-O or Acme brand frozen turkey to shoppers who spent $100 in a single transaction before Nov. 22.
Acme did this free turkey deal from 2013 to 2019, so chances are good they’ll run it again in 2020.
Honorable Mentions: Grocery Stores With Almost-Free Turkeys
- City Market sold frozen, USDA Grade A Kroger Turkeys for $0.47/lb with a $25 purchase in 2019. You must also have a store loyalty card
- Meijer offeed $0.37/lb. frozen turkeys in 2019
- Tops guaranteed the best price on a Grade A frozen turkey in 2019, as long as you are making a purchase of $25 or more
- From Nov. 17 to Nov. 28 in 2019, Wegmans offered turkeys for $0.39/lb. and promised to price match any competitor. Wegmans Shoppers Club membership required
- Cub Foods offered an in-ad coupon for a turkey for $0.69/lb in November 2019.
- Price Rite customers got frozen turkeys for $0.49/lb. and frozen Butterball turkeys for $0.79/lb. in November 2019
- Aldi sold Butterball turkeys (10-22 lb.) for $0.89/lb. (limit two) in 2019 during Thanksgiving week
- Walmart sold frozen turkeys for $0.98/lb. for Thanksgiving 2019, but that price could fluctuate, as they’re prepping to stock a higher number smaller turkeys for Thanksgiving 2020 Costco sold whole Honeysuckle turkeys for $0.99/lb. in 2019
- Shaw’s Supermarket sold turkeys for $0.58/lb. in 2019