We're reader-supported and only partner with brands we trust. When you buy through links on our site we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date and time indicated and are subject to change.
If you’re looking for a free Thanksgiving turkey in 2022, you should know what you’re up against. First, pretty much everything is more expensive these days. In fact, you might’ve heard about the turkey shortage due to a recent outbreak of the bird flu (or Avian Influenza), which has lead to the deaths of over 40 million chickens and turkeys, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. The result is pretty predictable: an increase in bird prices. If you’re on a budget, you can still get a free turkey, you just have to know where to shop.
Historically, Krazy Coupon Lady has tracked free Thanksgiving turkey promotions and put the info on blast so you can save money on your holiday meal prep. It’s absolutely possible!
Download the Krazy Coupon Lady app so you can check the latest turkey deals on the go.
Here’s what we are seeing for 2022:
1. Get a free Thanksgiving turkey and entire meal from Ibotta.
For the third year in a row, you can get a free Thanksgiving turkey and meal using just the Ibotta app. New in 2022? You don’t have to shop at Walmart, you can shop at a few different participating retailers. This is one of the best deals if you’re looking to save money on your Thanksgiving meal.
This free Thanksgiving turkey offer will be available from Nov. 1 – 23, but only while supplies last. If you’re an existing Ibotta user (and already understand all the lingo), you’ll need to complete the Turkey and Sides bonuses by Nov. 18 to unlock your offers for a free turkey and three sides (plus gravy). Once you unlock those offers, you’ll have until Nov. 23 to redeem them and get your Thanksgiving goodies for free.
2. Sign up for Butcher Box text alerts and get a free $100 to spend on the site, plus a free Thanksgiving turkey.
When you visit Butcher Box online, you’ll see a pop up asking if you want to sign up for text alerts. Do it because you’ll get access to $100 savings on your next box, and a free Thanksgiving Turkey.
Find out more about how to budget for Thanksgiving Dinner Costs.
3. Get a free Albertsons turkey when you spend $100 in a single transaction.
Starting Nov. 16 and running through Nov. 24, Albertsons is offering a free up-to-20-pound turkey when you spend $100 in a single transaction. Or, you can get a turkey for $0.49 per pound if you spend at least $50.
4. Carrs/Safeway is offering a free turkey with a $150 grocery purchase.
Spend $150 on groceries in one transaction at Carrs, and you can get up to a 20-pound bird for free. If you spend only $50, you can get a turkey for $0.79 per pound.
5. ShopRite is offering a free turkey or ham with the accrual of Price Plus points.
The ShopRite annual Turkey Promotion is back in 2022 for members of the Price Points loyalty club. You had to spend at least $400 between Oct. 16 and Nov. 24 to earn enough points for the free turkey or ham.
The ShopRite free turkey offer was good through Nov. 24, and you needed to pick up your free item by then.
6. Weis loyalty club members get a free turkey for 200 points (or $200 spent).
In 2022, Weis’ Thanksgiving promotion is the same as last year. For every $1 you spend, Weis Preferred Shoppers get one point. You can redeem those points for free or discounted Thanksgiving foods from Nov. 3 through Nov. 24.
Two hundred points ($200 spent) gets you a free frozen turkey (or other options). Two hundred points could also get you salmon or ham. Four hundred points ($400 spent) gets you a tofurkey or a tofurkey ham.
For the complete list of Thanksgiving food, you could redeem points for, check out Weis’ Holiday Rewards page.
7. Trade 400 Giant Food reward points for a free turkey.
In 2022, Giant Foods shoppers can earn 400 points ($1 spent per point earned), then trade them in for a free Giant brand turkey (up to 20 pounds). To get the turkey, redeem those points from Nov. 11 – 24.
Points could also be used to get $1 off per pound of any other brand of turkey, free tofurkey roast, a free Kosher-certified turkey, or a free Stouffer’s party-size lasagna.
8. Get a free turkey from Acme after spending $300 by Nov. 24.
In 2022, same as last year, when you clip the free turkey coupon in the Acme for U app, then spend at least $300 cumulatively in-store through Nov. 24, you get a free turkey.
(This means you can earn the free turkey in one transaction or many!)
My hack? Have family members who also shop at Acme use your rewards account — by giving the cashier your phone number — so you hit that $300 threshold even quicker. Then invite them to Thanksgiving to enjoy the free turkey you guys earned. Teamwork makes the dream work, right?
9. Get a free Foodtown turkey when you spend $400 using your Club Card before Nov. 24.
Have a Foodtown Club Card? If so, you can earn points toward a free Foodtown brand turkey (10 – 20 pounds) from now through Thanksgiving Day in 2022. Spend at least $400 (in one trip or multiple) to redeem your free turkey.
Don’t want a free turkey? You could choose a free Stouffer’s lasagna (meat or vegetarian), free Foodtown all-natural frozen turkey breast (4 – 7 pounds), free Cook’s ham, or get a $10 store gift card.
10. Spend $125 at Winco, and get a free Thanksgiving turkey.
If you have a Winco near you, you’re in luck because this free Thanksgiving turkey deal is legit. Spend $125 in one transaction at Winco between Nov. 14 – 23, and you’ll get a free Jennie-O Grade A turkey. There are a few items that don’t count toward the $125 total, though, including beer, wine, milk, tobacco, and more. Bring your calculator along to be sure you reach the minimum spend, not including everything on the exclusions list, and you’ll be set.
11. Get $20 off when you spend $100 at Cub.
When you spend $100 on groceries and use the code TURKEY22 at Cub through Nov. 19, you’ll get $20 off. Now, until Nov. 27, Cub has their Essential Everyday Turkey on sale for $1.29 per pound, so you can buy up to a 15-pound bird with that $20 you save at the register.
How to Thaw Turkey
You got your free turkey and Thanksgiving is days away — now what? Don’t forget to thaw it in time. Here’s our helpful guide on how to thaw a turkey based on the turkey size!
Expired Offers for a Free Turkey:
BJ’s offered a free turkey plus a $10 reward if you spent $150.
In 2022, from Nov. 1 through Nov. 10, you could get a free Thanksgiving turkey from BJ’s when you spend $150 in a single transaction.
So, fill your cart with $150 worth of stuff you already need, and then open up the BJ’s app to access your free turkey coupon. You can redeem the coupon between Nov. 12 – Nov. 23.
These grocery stores turkey prices per pound are our reality, even if they’re much higher in 2022 than they were in 2021.
A huge increase in price per pound is where we’re seeing the impact of the turkey shortage. A great deal on a turkey in 2021 was around $0.39 per pound on sale. This year, you’re lucky to get anything under $1 per pound (with the notable exception of Wegmans). Here’s what to expect:
- Wegmans is offering frozen young turkeys for $0.37 per pound; Wegmans Shoppers Club membership required.
- Fry’s has Kroger frozen turkeys for $0.93 per pound.
- Aldi has frozen Butterball turkeys for $1.07 per pound.
- Walmart has frozen turkeys for $1.18 per pound.
- Meijer is offering Meijer frozen turkeys for $1.44 per pound.
- Jay C Food Stores has Butterball frozen turkeys for $1.71 per pound.
- Ralphs had Kroger frozen turkeys for $1.80 per pound.
- Metro Market has Kroger frozen turkeys for $1.80 per pound.
- Pay Less Super Markets has Kroger frozen turkeys for $1.80 per pound.
- Pick’n Save has Kroger frozen turkeys for $1.80 per pound.
- King Soopers has Kroger frozen turkeys for $1.80 per pound.
- City Market has Kroger frozen turkeys for $1.80 per pound.
- Dillons has Kroger frozen turkeys for $1.80 per pound.
- Gerbes has Kroger frozen turkeys for $1.80 per pound.
- Smith’s Food and Drug has Kroger frozen turkeys for $1.80 per pound.
- Kroger is offering Kroger brand turkeys for $1.80 per pound.
- Mariano’s has Butterball Premium frozen turkeys for $1.80 per pound.