That “free turkey” promo is a total gimmick. Right?
Well, it depends on how smart of a shopper you are. Who doesn’t want a free turkey for Thanksgiving 2019? Here’s what you’ll need to know before shopping for a free turkey:
- A 20 lb. turkey is worth about 25 bucks (based on $1.25/lb.).
- Don’t spend more than $100 in one visit to earn a free turkey.
- Don’t buy items you wouldn’t normally buy.
- Take advantage of a “buy a ham, get a free turkey” promo if you’ll use the ham. (Think: freeze for Christmas.)
- Watch for 2019 free turkey promos beginning mid-October and running through Thanksgiving.
- Follow your favorite stores and we’ll get you the best Turkey deals as they come up!
- Download the Krazy Coupon Lady app so you can check the latest Turkey deals on the go.
For more free stuff bookmark the KCL Freebies page!
Here are the stores we think will be the best places to score a free Thanksgiving turkey this year:
1. ShopRite is offering a free turkey, ham, tofurkey or chicken with the accrual of Price Plus points.
You’ll have to be a Price Points member and spend around $400 starting in October to earn enough points for the free ham, turkey, tofurkey, or chicken. The offer is good through November 28.
2. Spend $100 at most WinCo stores and get a free turkey.
Grocery shop like normal, get to $100 before tax (not including the turkey), and you’ll go home with a frozen Grade A turkey (excludes Butterball). In 2019 the promo runs through Nov. 29. Keep in mind not all WinCo stores offer this promotion.
3. Hy-Vee is offering a free Honeysuckle turkey with every Hormel Cure 81 ham.
Buy any Hormel Cure 81 ham and get a frozen Honeysuckle turkey for free.
4. Weis is offering a free turkey with 400 points, or $400 spent.
For every $1 spent, Weis Preferred Shoppers get 1 point. Four hundred points ($400 spent) gets you a free frozen turkey.
Or, get 100 points for every prescription you fulfill. Four prescriptions will get you enough points for a free turkey.
5. Fareway is offering a free 14 lb. turkey with a $50 meat purchase.
Spend $50 on any fresh meat at Fareway and get a free 14 lb. Fareway Basted Young Turkey.
6. Get a free Kroger brand turkey when you spend $150 at Fred Meyer.
Spend $150 at Fred Meyer to receive a free 10-20lb. Grade A Kroger brand turkey.
7. Trade 400 Giant Food reward points for a free 20lb. turkey.
Earn 400 points by scoping out all the double-point items during the month of November, then trade your points for a free 20lb. turkey at Giant Foods.
8. Acme was offering a free turkey with a $100 grocery purchase.
Acme was offering free Signature Farms, Jennie-O or Acme-brand frozen turkey to shoppers who spent $100 in a single transaction before November 22, 2019. Something to keep in mind for next year!
Almost-Free Honorable Mentions
- Giant Eagle offers turkeys for $0.68/lb. with a $25 purchase and will price match any local competitor’s ad on frozen or fresh whole turkeys.
- Hannaford is selling Grade A frozen turkeys for $0.39/lb.
- City Market is selling frozen, USDA Grade A Kroger Turkeys for $0.47/lb with a $25 purchase. You must also have a store loyalty card.
- Meijer offers $0.37/lb. frozen turkeys.
- Publix sold 10-24 lb. turkeys for $0.48/lb. in 2018.
- Tops advertises they will guarantee the lowest turkey price. Must have a $25 purchase to get the turkey for $0.48/lb.
- Wegmans offered turkeys for $0.48/lb. in 2018. No purchase was necessary, but you did need a Shopper’s Club Card.
- Cub Foods is offering an in-ad coupon for a turkey for $0.69/lb.
- Price Rite customers can get frozen turkeys for $0.39/lb., frozen Butterball turkeys for $0.79/lb.
- Aldi sold Butterball turkeys (10-22 lb.) for $0.89/lb. (limit two) in 2018.
- Harmons Grocery offered Norbest Frozen Turkeys (10-22 lbs.) for $0.99/lb when you purchased $25 worth of groceries in 2018.
- Walmart is selling frozen turkeys for $0.98/lb.
- Costco is offering fresh turkeys for $1.29/lb.
- Shaw’s offered turkeys for $0.58/lb. in 2018.