1. Clean your potatoes in the dishwasher.
Place unwashed potatoes in the top rack of your dishwasher and set it to the rinse-only cycle. Dry with paper towels when done.
2. Spatchcock (or butterfly) your turkey so it cooks faster and is easier to carve.
Get instructions here.
3. Skip baking homemade bread and make compound butter to boost flavor instead.
Making compound butter is a lot easier than baking your own bread. Just mix whatever ingredients you want along with butter in a food processor and voila!
Learn how to make Cranberry Cinnamon Honey Butter here.
4. Peel garlic easily by microwaving the whole head for 20 seconds.
5. Make turkey gravy ahead of time and freeze.
You can also do this with cranberry sauce, dinner rolls, and pies.
Get a delicious gravy recipe and instructions here.
6. Use a cooling rack to make the perfect lattice top for a pie.
Once your pastry dough is all rolled out, take a wire cooling rack and press it into the dough. Remove the rack and cut along the indented lines with a pizza cutter.
7. Keep mashed potatoes warm in a slow cooker.
Butter the inside of your crockpot, then pour a bit of heavy cream into your slow cooker. After adding in your mashed potatoes, set your slow cooker on low and remind yourself to stir the potatoes every hour until you’re ready to serve them.
8. Tape recipes to your cabinets to save counter space.
9. Grate frozen butter into biscuit or pastry dough with a cheese grater or peeler.
Cutting cold butter into dough takes more effort than you have time for. Use this hack to help you quickly move on to the next dish.
10. Peel potatoes easily by boiling them whole.
Make a slight cut around the middle of a potato—just deep enough to penetrate the skin. Boil, then run potatoes under cool water. Like magic, your potato skins should slip right off!
11. Hydrate overcooked turkey with chicken broth.
You can either dip slices of dried-out turkey directly in the broth or pour broth over.
12. Use quartered onions, celery, and carrots as a roasting rack.
Not only will these vegetables keep your turkey elevated, they add flavor to drippings.