When you combine Walmart’s low prices with coupons and the right rebate apps, magic happens — the savings can be phenomenal! Walmart might not have standard store coupons, but you can still shop smart to grab freebies, take advantage of grocery promos, and master Walmart clearance.
And don’t even get me started on Black Friday at Walmart! If you’re shopping for toys, Apple products, or video games, Walmart is your jam.
Read on and I’ll show you how to coupon and shop at Walmart.
1. Use a MFR coupon at Walmart for more than your item costs and get cash back (moneymaker!).
That’s right! If you’ve got a manufacturer (MFR) $1.00/1 coupon to use on a $0.95 item, that $0.05 difference won’t go to waste. Walmart’s one of the few stores that, some cases, will give you a $0.05 “overage” (or credit) back in cash. This tends to be a little inconsistent, since in other instances they simply apply the overage to your total.
Overall, score one for Walmart, since Target doesn’t do any overages, whatsoever. (Oh, by the way, at KCL we call these “moneymakers,” because that sounds more fun than “overage.”)
One of the best ways to grab manufacturer coupons for your Walmart trip is by keeping an eye on the KCL coupons page to see available printable coupons. You can also check out the Walmart coupons page to print off manufacturer coupons.
2. You can’t use coupons online at Walmart.com.
If you’re ordering from Walmart.com, you can’t use MFR coupons at all. Plus, Walmart never offers store coupons online or in store. Here are a few other things you gotta know about the Walmart coupon policy before you get shopping:
- Coupons have to read “Manufacturer Coupon” across the top, have an expiration date, and a scannable barcode.
- You can’t use competitor coupons at Walmart.
3. Walmart digital coupons don’t exist. Paper only.
Walmart doesn’t accept mobile digital coupons, only paper or printed internet coupons.
4. Coupon in Walmart clearance or the travel section for freebies and moneymakers.
If you’re a savvy Walmart couponer, you can even score some freebies and moneymakers! Here’s how:
- The $1 trial-size section at Walmart is a great place to score free products if you’ve got a manufacturer coupon! You’ll receive the overage (moneymaker!) if the coupon value exceeds the item price. Just be aware of the fine print — it may exclude trial/travel size items.
- Combining (stacking) coupons with clearance items is another great way to find moneymakers. For example, I saw a deal for a hand soap that was on clearance for $0.75 and with a $1.00/1 coupon became a $0.25 moneymaker.
- We haven’t seen name brands at Walmart Dollar Shop yet, but since they have stuff as cheap as a buck, you can expect some freebies once they do.
5. You can use BOGO coupons at Walmart, but not if there’s a percentage involved.
Walmart accepts BOGO manufacturer coupons, but they do have a few rules:
- Walmart won’t accept a BOGO coupon with a percentage off.
- You can’t use two BOGO coupons on two items to make them both free.
- Walmart won’t let you use a coupon on the second item from a BOGO coupon for an overage.
6. Keep the Walmart coupon policy handy, since it comes down to the manager’s discretion.
It’s kinda annoying, but Walmart managers get final say on coupon acceptance.
This means that while one Walmart may allow you to use 10 of the same coupon in the same transaction, another may not.
Best way to avoid issues at the register? Go to the Walmart coupon policy page and bookmark it on your smartphone.
7. With the Walmart Weekly ad coupon matchup, Walmart will PAY YOU for shopping.
Don’t worry; you don’t have to play detective. We comb the Walmart Weekly ad and match it up with MFR coupons, peelies, cash-back apps, and every single angle we can think of on the planet in our Walmart Weekly Coupon Deals. Some of the items are even freebies and moneymakers!
In a recent 2021 Walmart couponing haul, we found $70 in savings, including Irish Spring Body Wash for 57% off and $1.13 in moneymakers for buying stuff, like two bottles of KABOOM bathroom cleaner! That’s right — we figure out how to make Walmart pay YOU for walking out of the store with free products.
8. Use the Walmart app for pickup and delivery and Scan & Go.
The Walmart app is useful for two main reasons:
- Mobile shopping for pickup and delivery (anyone can use the app for this)
- Scan & Go (only if you are a Walmart + subscriber)
If you subscribe to Walmart+, Walmart’s grocery pickup and delivery service program, you can use Scan & Go, which saves some time. But I like it mainly for this reason: when you shop in store, you scan every item you put in your cart with the Walmart app and it keeps a running total for you. Suuppper helpful if you tend to impulse buy or you’re on a tight budget.
Here’s another reason I like Scan & Go: When you get to the self checkout, you scan the barcode in your app, and, provided that you’ve linked the app to your bank, it automatically charges your account. No unloading, bagging, swiping, chipping, tapping, or touching of any kind.
All you do is show your e-receipt on your phone to the self-checkout monitor and leave the store. Yes, you still have to wait in the self-checkout line, and that can get long. But again, the running total and no touching thing is awesome.
9. Use Ibotta to get rebates during your Walmart shopping spree.
Ibotta is one of our favorite cash-back apps, and Walmart consistently has more Ibotta offers than most grocery stores. So, while they don’t accept digital coupons, this is a nice alternative.
Walmart announced a partnership with Ibotta that adds rebates directly into your account. Just link your Ibotta account to your Walmart app.
10. Stack MFR coupons with Ibotta rebates for moneymakers.
One of my favorite ways to coupon at Walmart is stacking manufacturer coupons with Ibotta rebates. This can end in a freebie or even add a little cash to my Ibotta account!
Here’s a moneymaker for Violife vegan cheese:
And submit one $3.00/1 – Violife Just Like Cheese, Ibotta Rebate (ibotta.com)
Pay $2.98, submit for $3 Ibotta credit
Final Price: $0.02 Moneymaker in my Ibotta account
11. Plus, there are plenty of other cash-back and rebate apps to use at Walmart.
Just because Ibotta and Walmart are buddying up doesn’t mean there aren’t other cash-back and rebate apps. And guess what? You can stack these with Ibotta! Here are a few you can use at Walmart:
12. Skip the Walmart Black Friday chaos in store and shop almost all Walmart deals online.
Whether you’re shopping Walmart Black Friday online or in store, expect to see 40% off hot holiday items like TVs and toys.
If you want to brave the stores to find “Special Buy” doorbusters (manufacturer discounts Walmart passes on to the shopper) on Black Friday, like a Roku SE for $17 (reg. $50) or Nintendo Switch bundle for $299 (reg. $399), use the color-coded maps in the Walmart app to find your way.
You can also shop these deals online and take advantage of free shipping on orders over $35 or opt for free store pickup. And, better yet, these deals aren’t just on Black Friday. Walmart runs Deals for Days the entire week of Thanksgiving and even the week before!
13. Walmart clearance is marked down within the first five days of the month.
Walmart stuff might be marked down throughout the month, but always check out the beginning of the month for the best selection.
Where clearance is located in any given Walmart is never the same. For the most part, clearance items will be located in their own aisles, but sometimes — specifically when Walmart marks down holiday products — they’ll reserve a couple aisles for clearance.
And always check the endcaps!
14. Grab big discounts on produce, meat, and bakery items before the “best by” date.
They’re all typically marked down the day prior at 8 p.m. Check the “best by” date.
If it’s a day before the “best by” date and it hasn’t been marked down, you can find a Walmart employee and have them mark it down for you.
15. Walmart clearance prices will never go back up — Rollbacks can.
Once an item is marked as clearance, it can still drop in price, but it’s not going to go back to its original price.
Rollbacks, on the other hand, are temporary price reductions that’ll last 4 – 10 weeks before going back to the original. Check the date each rollback began to get an idea of how long the price drop may remain.
16. Use Walmart price match for Amazon prices, but only on Walmart.com.
The items just have to be the exact same (down to color), in stock at both stores, and sold and shipped by Walmart. All you have to do is use the Walmart customer service chat or call customer care at (800) 925-6278, provide proof of the lower price, and they’ll adjust your order as you check out.
Here are the stores Walmart.com price matches with:
17. Use BrickSeek to check a product’s inventory at your local Walmart.
Ever been frustrated by making a trip to the store to take advantage of a clearance deal from KCL only to find your store doesn’t have any in stock?
Brickseek.com is a free website that reports store inventory by SKU code. Using Brickseek at Walmart is easy. Go to the Brickseek Walmart inventory checker, enter the product’s SKU number (there’s a Brickseek SKU finder just above the search bar) and your zip code, and BrickSeek will show whether the item is in stock, limited quantity, or out of stock at stores near you.
18. Use Walmart grocery pickup for free.
You don’t have to pay for the convenience here. Shop Walmart groceries online and meet the $30 minimum order. Then, select a time that’s convenient for you to pick them up. A Walmart employee will even load them into your car for you — no tip required!
Unfortunately, coupons don’t work with Walmart grocery pickup.
19. And get $10 off your first pickup, and $10 more for referring friends.
When you make your first Walmart pickup grocery order, use the promo code WOWFRESH at checkout. You’ll get $10 off your first order of $50 or more.
Plus, you can refer a friend to Walmart Grocery pickup, so they get $10 off their first order too, and you get a $10-off promo code. There’s no limit to the amount of promo codes you can send out, so time to start spamming that link to your Facebook friends.
20. Use Walmart+ to save hundreds on grocery delivery.
It might sound like I’m overhyping this, but I’ve done the math. If you’ve got a Walmart+ subscription ($98 a year or $12.95 a month), all your same-day grocery deliveries over $35 are free.
Here’s what you’ll be paying compared to regular Walmart Grocery Delivery if you do one order a week:
- With a Walmart+ subscription: $98 – $155.40 per year
- Without a subscription: $413.40 – $517.40 per year
You can get quite a few other perks, like free next-day and two-day shipping without a minimum and discounted prescriptions. I recommend at least trying out the Walmart+ free trial.
21. Walmart’s NextDay delivery program is 100% free!
Walmart NextDay delivery isn’t available everywhere, but it’s definitely worth it if you can get it. If your zip code qualifies, you can get your order the next day as long as it’s ordered before the cutoff time (usually before 2 p.m.) on Monday through Saturday.
Everything in your cart has to have “NextDay eligible” on its product page.
You won’t be paying more for your diaper stock-up or last-minute laundry purchase, but you won’t get any special deals either — at least not yet.
You do have to spend at least $35 to get your free NextDay delivery. Otherwise, you’ll be charged an extra $5.99.
22. Don’t look too deep into Walmart price tags.
There’s a good amount of Walmart price tag myths going around, like that prices ending in “1” mean the item won’t get marked down again or clearance prices always end in “00.” Don’t believe it!
One of the few true myths is that you can see the most recent price date change on the price tag, but since there’s no set markdown schedule, it’s not going to do you much good.
23. Pick up $4 generic prescriptions from Walmart pharmacy – no insurance needed.
Next time you need to, ask your doctor to send your prescription to your local Walmart pharmacy, and ask to make sure you’re able to get a generic version. Double-check your prescription to see if it’s on Walmart’s $4 generic list before you go.
If it’s on the list, you’ll pay $4 for a 30-day supply or $10 for a 90-day supply.
Walmart+ also gives you an average 65% savings on prescriptions, with some discounted enough to be free. Walmart’s also announced their own ReliOn Novolog insulin, which saves customers 58% – 75% on their insulin needs.
24. Get cheap pet insurance and pet prescriptions at Walmart.
With Walmart Pet Care, pet insurance can be pretty cheap for your pet, especially if it’s younger. For example, a cat up to two years old will only cost you $20.16 a month with up to 90% reimbursement, which stands up against the competition.
Plus, Walmart PetRx offers competitive prices for pet prescriptions, especially if you choose to AutoShip, since you’ll get 20% off your first order.
25. Change your mind about something? Return (almost) everything within 90 days.
The Walmart return policy lets you return pretty much everything within 90 days. This includes damaged and defective items and nonperishable foods. You’ve got 60 days to return prescription glasses and 30 days to return electronics.
But there are a few things you can’t bring back at all, like prescription drugs, gas-powered items, and BB guns.
If you make a return that involved a coupon, you only get back what you paid for the item. Walmart won’t credit you for that coupon. Womp.
26. Get a free deluxe size sample at Walmart Freeosks.
With over 1,300 Freeosk locations nationwide, and most of them located in Walmarts and Sam’s Clubs, you are sure to find one of these near you.
Download the Freeosk app, scan your phone, and enter the unique code at the kiosk to get freebies.
Here are some of the samples we’ve seen so far:
- Trolli Sour Brite Crawlers
- Tabasco Hot Sauce
- Cuties Mandarin Oranges
- Full-sized Clif Bars
- Full-sized Rice Krispies Treats
- Colgate Optic White Toothpaste
Which of these Walmart couponing tricks has saved you on a recent shopping trip? Let the KCL community know in the comments below!