So, what’s the Walmart Plus membership all about? It’s packed with perks to sway Amazon fanatics away from Prime, like free two-day shipping, next-day delivery, grocery delivery, exclusive offers, and fuel savings. Basically, a Walmart Plus subscription combines Walmart’s everyday low prices with convenient online shopping and delivery benefits.
How much does a Walmart Plus membership cost? The cheapest option is the yearly subscription for $98, which is like paying $8 a month. If you go for the monthly subscription (more expensive), you’ll pay $12.95 a month.
Wondering if a Walmart Plus membership is worth it based on your shopping habits? Here’s all the math and everything you need to know about the benefits:
1. Sign up for Walmart Plus to get free shipping with no minimums and save $500+ per year.
One of the biggest perks of a Walmart Plus membership is free one-day and two-day shipping from Walmart.com, no matter how much is in your cart. Without a membership, you’d need to hit at least $35 total to earn free two-day shipping. But as a member, every order qualifies. So say goodbye to the days of overloading your cart just to avoid the shipping fees. You could save $500 or more every year with this benefit alone.
Remember that this excludes oversized and freight items.
TIP: As a member, you can even get free delivery for certain items via Walmart drone, if you live in one of the handful of states that has the service.
2. Get unlimited free same-day delivery on grocery orders of $35 or more.
Members get as many same-day deliveries from Walmart Grocery as they want with no extra charge. Most Plus members will get free same-day delivery on any grocery order (no matter how small it is). However, members in certain locations have cited a same-day delivery fee of $6.99 on Walmart grocery orders under $35.
Express Delivery for non-members will run $10 on top of the $7.95 – $9.95 standard delivery fee. Keep in mind that you also have the option to tip at checkout or when you get the order confirmation.
However, if you shop at least a couple of times a week, you could save hundreds per year on your grocery delivery fees with a Walmart Plus membership. Here’s how it works out:
3. Have your groceries delivered right to your fridge with InHome.
Subscribe to Walmart’s InHome delivery service and you can get free same-day delivery with no tipping or order fees required. You can add unlimited fee-free and tip-free InHome delivery to your Plus membership for an extra $7 a month or $40 per year. You can try a 30-day free trial of Walmart Plus InHome, too.
InHome orders are handled by full-time Walmart associates. They’ll deliver your groceries right into your home, garage, or wherever else you’d like them to be. Not only will InHome deliver your order, but they’ll pick up your Walmart.com returns, too!
Currently, you’ll find Walmart InHome services available in many big cities including Austin, Chicago, Dallas, Jersey City, Indianapolis, Miami, Newark, Orlando, San Francisco, and San Jose.
4. Walmart Plus members always have access to exclusive limited-time offers.
At any given time, there are a handful of limited-time offers exclusive to Walmart Plus members. These offers are usually for free trials or discounts on various products and services.
These are all the limited-time offers Walmart Plus members can get right now:
- Walmart+ Travel: Book with Walmart+ Travel and earn 2X Walmart Cash on hotel stays
- CLEAR Plus: Get three months free of CLEAR Plus for faster, easier, security at 50+ airports
- Hallmark Movies NOW: Pay $2 for two months of ad-free Hallmark original holiday movies and series
- Tastemade+: Get 6 free months of Tastemade+ and enjoy award-winning shows, thousands of recipes, and more
- SiriusXM: Get 6 months of free SiriusXM in your car
5. Members save up to $0.10 per gallon at Exxon, Mobil, Walmart, Sam’s Club, and Murphy gas stations.
Plus members get access to fuel savings at more than 14,000 gas stations across 48 states. To get savings of up to $0.10 per gallon every time you fill up, you’ll need to sign into your member account on your mobile device and have Walmart Pay set up already. But once you get to the pump, here’s what you do:
- Exxon & Mobil: You’ll get a pop-up in the Walmart app, and you’ll enter your fuel pump number, select your grade, and begin fueling.
- Walmart Fuel Stations: Select the Services tab in the Walmart app then “Member prices for fuel.” Scan the QR code at the pump and pay through Walmart Pay.
- Murphy Stations: Select the Services tab in the Walmart app then “Member prices for fuel.” You’ll find a six-digit ID number in the app that you’ll type into the fuel pump’s keypad.
- Sam’s Club Fuel Stations: Select the Services tab in the Walmart app then “Member prices for fuel.” Scan the QR code at the pump and pay through Walmart Pay.
Related: Check out all the benefits of having a Sam’s Club membership.
6. Try a Walmart Plus membership for free with a 30-day free trial.
Without a special offer or membership promo happening, you’ll get a 30-day free trial to Walmart Plus when they join. That comes with free shipping, unlimited grocery delivery, and other perks for a whole month
However, if you join during a special promo (like Walmart’s limited-time offer for 50% off memberships), the discount you’re getting usually replaces your free trial, so you’ll jump right into a paid membership.
7. How much does Walmart Plus cost? It depends on whether you pay per month or per year.
After the free 30-day trial, you can choose to pay $98 for an annual membership or $12.95 for a monthly membership. It may be worth noting that both prices are lower than what Amazon Prime charges ($139/year & $14.99/month).
When you sign up for the annual Walmart Plus membership instead of the monthly plan, you’ll save 37% right off the bat. And this is just under normal circumstances.
Is there a Walmart Plus membership discount?
Walmart has been known to run a promotion for 50% off Walmart Plus memberships every now and then, but it doesn’t happen often. During these times, you can sign up for a full year of benefits and pay $49 instead of $98.
We usually only see this membership discount twice a year — during Walmart Black Friday (the offer is live now through Nov. 8), and during Walmart Plus Week in July.
8. Shoppers in a government assistance program can save 50% on a Walmart Plus membership.
Walmart is addressing the drawbacks of their “pay to play” Walmart Plus membership program — it’s a steep price to pay for those who need savings the most.
They recently launched Walmart Plus Assist, a special program that gives discounted memberships to those who qualify. Shoppers who take part in a government assistance program can sign up for Walmart Plus at half the price with this new offer. Some of the eligible programs include SNAP, WIC, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), and Medicaid.
So, if you participate in one of the eligible programs and qualify for the discount, you’ll pay $6.47 a month, or $49 annually, for a Walmart Plus membership.
How to sign up for Walmart Plus Assist:
First, you’ll need to fill out the online form to see if you qualify. This is where you’ll need to enter a valid government assistance program in which you participate. Once you complete the form, click “Verify my status” to see if you’re approved.
You can even get this discount if you’re an existing member of Walmart Plus, as long as you’re verified through the online form. Existing members will get a prorated refund and the new membership price will start immediately.
9. Walmart Plus members get early access to Black Friday and Walmart Plus Week sales.
As a Walmart Plus member, you get early access — 3 hours early — to the Walmart Black Friday sales in 2023. And when the hottest Walmart toys, tech, and holiday gifts sell out fast when Walmart Black Friday deals drop, being the first to jump on the best offers is a huge deal.
For their Prime Day competition sale in July (called Walmart Plus Week) Walmart Plus members got to shop 24 HOURS earlier than non-members. On top of 50% – 70% off TVs, toys, laptops, kitchen appliances, and cookware during the event, Walmart Plus members got to cash in on exclusive limited-time deals.
10. Walmart Plus members get to stream Paramount Plus for free.
In another move to compete with Amazon, Walmart offers Paramount Plus free to all subscribers. As part of your Walmart Plus subscription, you get access to the Paramount Plus Essential plan (regularly $5.99/month), which includes over 40,000 episodes of shows and movies from BET, CBS, Comedy Central, Nickelodeon, MTV, Paramount, Miramax, and more.
11. Walmart Plus also offers scan-and-go shopping.
Plus members are able to scan products while shopping in Walmart and then check out using Walmart Pay to avoid the checkout line entirely.
Walmart says they’re going to keep adding features to the Walmart Plus subscription in the future — like reserved Pickup slots, special sales, and even a Prime Video streaming competitor.
12. Plus members earn up to 5% in Walmart Cash by booking travel through the website.
If you have a Walmart Plus membership, you can now get rewarded in Walmart Cash when you book travel experiences through your Plus account. You can use this Walmart Cash on future purchases from Walmart, or redeem it for cash back.
Hotel stays, rental cars, and activities will earn you 5% in Walmart Cash, while flights will get you 2%. The Walmart Plus Travel benefit isn’t a bad deal if you’re planning to book travel anyway. Just make sure you’re logged into your Plus account and book your travel from there!
Related: If you own a business, you can earn 2% back in rewards on orders of $250+ with the Plus (paid) version of a Walmart Business account.