We're reader-supported and only partner with brands we trust. When you buy through links on our site we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date and time indicated and are subject to change.
Summer’s midpoint means back-to-school shopping is in full swing. Office Depot is already offering weekly sales to help families prepare for the new school year. Whether it’s notebooks and pencils you’re after or a laptop for the college-bound teen, check out our guide to Office Depot Back to School sales in 2023.
We’ve made Office Depot (and their sister store OfficeMax) a non-negotiable stop during our back-to-school shopping because their sales offer the same low prices you’ll find in Target back-to-school and Walmart back-to-school sales. Keep reading to learn some of our favorite tips for how to save at Office Depot during back-to-school season.
Don’t forget to check in each week as new deals roll out — staying prepared doesn’t have to mean spending a fortune. It’s all about making that school supply list a little less daunting, one discounted item at a time.
Download The Krazy Coupon Lady app or text HACKS to 57299 for more money-saving tips, deals, and coupons.
Shopping for school supplies already? Grab these deals from Office Depot.
1. Join Office Depot/OfficeMax Rewards to get 2% back on nearly everything in store.
Sign up for Office Depot/OfficeMax Rewards (it’s free) and you’ll earn 2% back on nearly everything in the store. Once you’re a member, keep these pointers in mind:
- Rewards certificates get sent out once a month and are valid for 60 days.
- Watch for member-only savings to earn up to 100% back in rewards when you purchase specific products.
- Receive $2 back in rewards for every ink cartridge you recycle with a minimum purchase of $10.
- Earn $2 back in rewards for reviewing products online, with a limit of three per month.
2. Shop Office Depot back-to-school sales to stock up for the same prices as Target and Walmart.
Watch for Office Depot’s school supply sales to start in July. You’ll find name-brand and store-brand school supplies for prices that rival Target’s back-to-school and Walmart’s back-to-school sales. It’s not uncommon to see the following sale prices for popular school supplies at Office Depot, so take that as your cue to stock up:
- Office Depot Brand 2-Pocket Paper Folders: $0.15 each
- Office Depot Brand Manual Pencil Sharpener: $0.50 each
- Office Depot Brand Wood Pencils #2, 12 Pack: $0.50 each
- Just Basics Spiral Notebook: As low as $0.34
- Crayola Crayons: $0.50 each
- Office Depot Brand Composition Notebook: $0.50 each
3. Office Depot’s back-to-school sales have offered some of the lowest prices we’ve seen on Crayola crayons.
Let’s face it — every kid wants the classics when it comes to school supplies. That means Crayola is likely on your back-to-school shopping list (no hard feelings, Cra-Z-Art). Shopping for high-quality name brands doesn’t mean you have to splurge, though.
Be careful with Office Depot sales. Currently, Office Depot is offering Crayola markers for only $1.50, whereas Walmart has them for $0.97 a pack. Crayola crayons should be purchased for around $0.50 per box, which is standard across most of the common back-to-school retailers.
4. Watch for Office Depot/OfficeMax Rewards offers to score school supplies for free.
What’s better than picking up school supplies for cheap? Getting them for free, of course! One of the best perks of having an Office Depot/OfficeMax Rewards membership is the members-only rewards offers. Look for rewards opportunities offering 100% back in rewards for purchasing specific products. 100% back in rewards = free.
5. Office Depot’s Give Back to Schools program allows you to donate 5% to your designated school.
Office Depot has come up with a super-easy way to donate to the school that has your heart. To participate in Office Depot’s Give Back to Schools program, contact your school for their unique ID number. You can also search for your school’s ID if they’ve already registered.
Then provide your school’s ID when making a purchase in-store or online, and your school of choice will receive 5% back on your qualifying Office Depot school supply purchase. Once your school has earned more than $10 in a quarter, they’ll be mailed a merchandise certificate that can be used in-store or online at OfficeDepot.com.
Office Depot reports that they’ve given $38 million back to schools since the formation of the program, with some schools receiving up to $3,000 a year.
6. Teachers can save with exclusive coupons.
Worrying about the cost of stocking a classroom before a new school year should be the last thing on a teacher’s mind. Office Depot may be able to help. If you’re a teacher, check the Rewards Offers section for exclusive coupons to use during the back-to-school season.
I spotted coupons specifically for teachers that offered 30% back in rewards. To receive the savings, you must be an Office Depot/OfficeMax Rewards member and have a valid teacher ID. The offer is exclusive to in-store only and on regular-priced items.