I’ve studied and tracked Semi-Annual sales data for the past four years, and the history has a lot to teach us when we’re looking to score the best deals.
- If you can’t wait for the sale, check out the best Bath & Body Works coupons and deals available now.
- And text “BBW” to +1 (208) 266-4466 to get on our Bath & Body Works text alerts list.
- Plus, download the KCL app for the addictive shopping tool you never knew you needed.
- And if you want to zoom out from just reading about the Semi-Annual Sale, might I suggest our guide to ALL the Bath & Body Works Sales Hacks?
The information below is everything you need to know to be a totally woke Bath & Body Works Semi-Annual Sale shopper. The near-month-long sale has a lot of twists and turns.
Let’s start with the basics . . . the next sale:
1. When is Bath and Body Works’ Semi-Annual Sale 2022?
The next Bath & Body Works Semi-Annual Sale will take place on June 13, 2022. The winter sale always starts the day after Christmas and lasts through mid-January. Unlike the summer sale, the winter sale is always immediately available both in stores and at BathandBodyWorks.com.
2. The Semi-Annual Sale happens 2x per year in Dec and June.
The summer Semi-Annual Sale always begins in mid-June and runs beyond the Fourth of July. The start dates for the last four years have been Monday-Saturday-Sunday-Sunday. The next summer Semi-Annual Sale will begin on Monday, June 13th, 2022.
Historically, you can expect a free shipping coupon code over the Fourth of July weekend, and because the online prices get better deeper into the sale (more on that below), that’s usually a great time to shop.
The winter Semi-Annual Sale has a consistent day-after Christmas start. The winter sale is usually shorter than the summer sale by about a week. The winter Semi-Annual Sale generates more sales revenue than the summer sale and, generally, is thought of by the KCL staff as the better of the two sales. And let’s be honest, those fall and winter scents are probably what get us through the long winter.
3. The sale lasts 3 to 4 weeks.
The Semi-Annual Sale is pretty different online than it is in store. Online, it’s really not one sale at all. It’s actually a series of sales knit together by a name, some loud red and yellow banners, and a rubber ducky mascot.
Online, the sale’s waves are a series of micro-adjustments to pricing. For example, in the most recent sale, the 3-wick candles (retail price $25.50) were advertised in all of the following variations: $12.95 sale price for three days, then BOGO free for one day only, then $10 off for the next week, and finally an $11.95 sale price. Because of these variations, it can be very difficult to know when to wait and when to buy. Our general advice is online shoppers looking to squeeze out every penny of savings should wait to shop until the final two days of the sale.
In stores, it’s simpler. This sale is basically a giant clearance event, and you should shop early, before inventory is picked over.
When does Bath and Body Works’ Semi-Annual Sale end?
The last five Bath & Body Works Semi-Annual Sales have ended on Sundays.
How long is Bath and Body Works’ Semi-Annual Sale?
The summer Bath & Body Works Semi-Annual Sale lasts four weeks.
The winter Bath & Body Works Semi-Annual Sale lasts just over three weeks.
4. You’ve got to shop the Semi-Annual Sale in store.
Seventy-five percent off has been the standard for years and years of Semi-Annual Sales, but that all changed in 2020.
- Through 2019, all Semi-Annual Sales featured 75% off select items in store and online.
- The summer 2020 Semi-Annual Sale was almost unrecognizable as a result of the pandemic. Savings online never went over 50%, and there weren’t any promo codes, not a single one, across the longer-than-usual six-week sale. In-store savings, for stores that could open, stayed at 75%.
- The winter 2020 sale that year followed the same formula, with 75% savings in store but only 50% savings online. Promisingly, on the last two days of the winter 2020 sale, the online sale prices were updated to 50-75% off — an inching back toward normal.
- By summer 2021, 75% savings online was resurrected, but not until six days after the sale began.
Still, local stores are likely to continue getting the green light first to discount aggressively, making it the better place to get the best deals.
And another obvious reason to shop in store is that choosing online means you’d have to contend with the annoying lack of Bath & Body Works free shipping. And while free shipping over $50 codes will pop in and out throughout the sale, remember that since Bath & Body Works only allows one promo code per order, if you’re using the free ship code, you can’t use another coupon code that may be available at the same time. Bath & Body Works stores will let you combine multiple coupons if you have them.
5. The goal is to save 75%.
The best deals are on “select” fragrances that have overrun inventory, either seasonal, discontinued, or overstocked classic fragrances.
Because the rest of the year, Bath & Body Works doesn’t typically clearance merchandise, the Semi-Annual Sale is the primary method for inventory management.
That means that whatever pumpkin scents don’t sell by December end up in the winter Semi-Annual sale. Valentine’s merchandise will resurface in the summer sale, so will discontinued scents and even some overstocked best-sellers.
6. And the coupon stack (while more rare since 2020) is the holy grail.
It used to be standard to see a $10 off $40 digital coupon code available to stack with Semi-Annual Sale prices, but since the pandemic hit in 2020, we’ve not seen a one. Since summer 2020, the only way to get a coupon to stack with the Semi-Annual Sale (free shipping codes are the exception) is to join Bath & Body Works Rewards or sign up for coupons in the mail. And getting on the Bath & Body Works mailer list can be a challenge. In fact, it’s the number one complaint we hear from KCL readers who want to shop.
The best practices for joining the mailer list are as follows:
- Create an account online and add your physical address. You do not need to make a purchase.
- Fill out this form online. Select topic “mailing address add/update.”
When you receive your paper coupons (fingers crossed), remember our predicted Bath & Body Works Semi-Annual Sale dates from above, and compare to valid coupon dates. Your ultimate goal is to save the coupon, if possible, to use on top of those Semi-Annual prices. And remember, most Bath & Body Works stores will accept a coupon three days before or after the valid dates. Find more tips like that in my comprehensive guide to Bath & Body Works Sales.
7. Get a one-time $10 off $30 coupon code by joining Bath & Body Works Rewards.
The Bath & Body Works Rewards program is being tested in select areas. If you’re eligible to join, (or if you simply alter your zip code to one from the participating list), you receive a coupon for $10 off a $30 purchase. The coupon code is valid in stores and online for those in participating areas. For the rest of us, it’s only valid online.
Because of the 30-day from sign-up expiration date, don’t take the steps to get this coupon until the week before the next anticipated Semi-Annual Sale. If you already have an account, sign up your partner or your mom or the mail carrier or anyone willing to share that code with you once they receive it.
And once you sign up, make sure you link your in-store purchases to your account so you can earn points! Scan the in-app barcode if you live in a participating area. Or give the cashier your phone number if you don’t.
You’ll earn one point for every dollar you spend. Once you spend $75, you’ll get a Reward added to your “wallet” for one free product valued up to $16.50.
8. Online Semi-Annual Sale prices are just okay.
With the exception of candles, which are consistently better priced during the annual Bath & Body Works Candle Day, the Semi-Annual Sale can be a great time to shop for just about everything on your list.
The graphic above shows the average advertised online sale price for six of the top-selling items during the past three Bath & Body Works Semi-Annual Sales. Some only reached 50% off, which doesn’t meet our recommended savings target of 60% or more.
Don’t worry. We’re not telling you to skip the Semi-Annual Sale — never. We are asking that you not assume every single thing in the store is a good deal just because you’re shopping during the sale.
9. The best deals online are almost always in the final two days of the sale.
In all the sales we’ve studied, one of the most consistent findings is the deals always get better online in the last one to two days of the sale. Back in 2018 and 2019, the $10 off $40 coupon that had overlapped with the majority of the sale became a $10 off $30 coupon in the last one or two days, respectively.
10. Shop the sale early, then go back for a price adjustment.
Bath & Body Works’ policy states that both online and in-store purchases are eligible for a one-time price adjustment within 14 days of original purchase. That means you can shop the week before the Semi-Annual Sale and return with your receipt to receive the difference credited back to your original form of payment. Here are the important catches to the price adjustment policy:
- Coupons used on original purchase are “forfeited,” meaning if you paired a sale with a coupon and since shopping, the sale price dropped, you can only get money back if the new sale price is lower than the previous price MINUS your coupon. For me, when I’ve used coupons, I never end up price adjusting.
- Additionally, Bath & Body Works won’t adjust certain sales, including: promotions lasting 24 hours or less. While that won’t apply to the Semi-Annual Sale, if you buy a bunch of Wallflowers at $3.50 and a week later there is a one-day sale at a better price, you’re out of luck on price adjusting. You can, of course, return and rebuy if you wish.
- Finally, think of BathandBodyWorks.com as separate from your local store. Price adjustments don’t cross party lines. Online purchases can receive an online adjustment by submitting a contact form. In-store price adjustments only require original receipt.
If you like learning the nitty gritty details like this one, you’re going to absolutely love our full Bath & Body Works Sales Hacks.
11. Get text reminders from KCL for every Bath & Body Works sale.
If you want in on our free Bath & Body Works alerts, text “BBW” to +1 (208) 266-4466 and be the first to know about the hottest deals each day, like reminders of the Bath & Body Works Semi-Annual Sale and more.
12. Download the KCL app and we’ll tell you about the deals as we see them.
Let our expert team help you cut through the noise. We watch and track every sale and choose only the best ones to share with you. Making it easy for you to shop smarter is our job. And we never charge a cent or even require an email.
More Must-Read Bath & Body Works Articles:
If you only read one thing: Bath & Body Works Sales Hacks
Everything you need to know about Bath & Body Works Black Friday
And our favorite sale of the year: Bath & Body Works Candle Day