We're reader-supported and only partner with brands we trust. When you buy through links on our site we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date and time indicated and are subject to change.
It’s happening! The Semi-Annual Target Toy Sale is hands down one of the best times to stock up on toys — and the 2023 sale is officially here.
This is when you’ll find your family’s favorite toy brands for up to 70% off over a 4- to 6-week period. When it comes to Target clearance, you’ll be hard-pressed to find better toy deals outside of this twice-a-year sale.
I’m talking about deep discounts on brands like Nerf, Barbie, LOL Surprise, Disney, VTech, Lego, Fisher-Price, and more. Prices start as low as $1.70 and we’ve already found a bunch of toys under $10 in June 2023. And these are toys from top brands like Paw Patrol, Funko Pop, vTech, Disney, and more. You’ll also find big price drops on a decent selection of board games too, like the new Game of Life Target Edition.
Here’s what you need to know about the Target Toy Sale 2023 and the best deals to snag, plus how to shop smarter during one of the biggest toy clearance events this year:
Best Target Toy Clearance Deals to Shop Now
Toys Under $5
Toys Under $10
Toys Under $20
Toys Under $50
Toys Under $100
Limited-Time Offer: Target Circle Military Appreciation 10% Discount
From June 25 – July 4, 2023, active military members, veterans, and their families can save 10% on two Target purchases with the Target Circle Military Appreciation Discount. Here’s what you need to know:
- You must be a Target Circle member (if you’re not already a member of the free rewards program, you can join here).
- Verify your military status (upload proof like a government ID).
- Tap the + sign to save the 10% discount BEFORE you check out online or in-store.
1. The current Semi-Annual Target Toy Sale will run from mid-June to late July 2023.
While Target usually starts their toy clearance at 30% off, we saw bigger discounts earlier in 2023. Target kicked off their Semi-Annual Toy Sale on June 20, 2023, with toy deals up to 50% off. We also saw toy clearance discounts hit up to 70% off earlier than ever in 2023 — about a month before this discount dropped last year.
Last summer, the Target Toy Sale ran for nearly two months. It even overlapped with the Target Deal Days event (now known as Target Circle Week in 2023), which seemed to give the toy deals an even bigger boost. And for 2023, we’ve confirmed that Target Circle Week is happening July 9 – 15.
Here’s how the Target Toy Clearance has progressed in June 2023:
Related: Use these Target toy sale tips to save more during the upcoming 2023 event.
2. The Target toy clearance will reach up to 70% off by the end of the sale.
Even though we saw starting discounts of 50% off in 2023, Target usually starts their toy clearance at 30% off, and it grows from there. But this year, they skipped right ahead to the good stuff.
Target dropped clearance discounts of up to 50% off right at the start of the sale, and discounts hit up to 70% off before the end of June in 2023.
Once the toys hit 70% off, the discounts stop there. In years past, clearance toys went up to 90% off, but now, all the leftover toys that don’t sell at 70% get sent to Target salvage stores.
3. Clearance discounts and toy selections can vary greatly by store.
During the Winter 2022 Target Toy Sale, we called 10 stores across the U.S. to ask about their clearance selections. After gathering their responses, it was clear that not all Target Toy Sales were created equal. Here’s how different things were from store to store:
- Atlanta: Clearance was 50% – 70% off, and the shelves were full. The employee we spoke to specifically said, “Come buy it all!”
- Salt Lake City: Clearance was located on the back wall, and prices were marked on the tags. There was no additional signage at the store.
- Los Angeles: There were no percentage signs hanging in the stores, but toys were individually marked as much as 50% off.
- Orlando: Inventory was high, and toys were discounted at 30% off at the time. The discount would go up to 50% off on that Sunday.
- Chicago: Discounts were 30% – 50% off at the time. Inventory was high.
- New York: Discounts were 30% off at the time. Inventory was high.
- Dallas: No store discount signage, and toys were individually marked as much as 50% off.
- Austin: Discounts were between 20% – 70%, and shelves were still pretty full.
- Seattle: Shelves were still pretty full, and discounts were only at 30%.
- Phoenix: Discounts were at up to 50% off at the time and were set to be marked as much as 70% off on that Friday or Saturday.
If you can, stop by multiple Target store locations near you to maximize your selection (and potential savings).
4. Head to the store for the best toy deals — but always check online prices as you shop.
We’ve been studying the Target Toy Sale for years, and one thing we’ve learned is that the best deals are in stores.
Your Target app won’t show you the current in-store clearance selection (and prices), even if you have your default store selected. So you really have to shop in person to see what’s available and score the best deals.
With that said, you will find some online prices that are better than they are in stores. So to cover all your bases, use the barcode scanner in your Target app to look up toy prices as you shop in-store. The app will show you the current online price for that item, so you can see which gets you the best deal.
5. Use the in-store price scanner to check for even lower toy prices.
Sometimes, Target clearance prices are even lower than marked. So what you see on the yellow tag may not be the actual price. But all it takes is a quick barcode scan to see what an item really costs.
Bring your clearance toys over to one of the in-store price scanners (every 10 – 15 aisles) to check their current prices. You may uncover a clearance price that’s even lower than you thought!
Related: Here’s your complete guide to Target clearance including markdown schedules and shopping tips.
6. Pay with your Target RedCard to save an extra 5% on clearance toys.
If you don’t pay with your Target RedCard, you’re missing out on savings. As you shop the Target Toy Sale this summer, don’t forget to use your RedCard for an extra 5% off clearance prices. This is an easy way to save more than 70% during the sale.
TIP: Add your RedCard to your Target app for an easy way to pay without opening your wallet. When you check out in store, scan your app barcode to pay and save 5% automatically.
7. You can return clearance toys to Target within 90 days of your purchase.
Clearance toys fall under the standard Target return policy rules, meaning you have 90 days to return them for a full refund (or 120 days if you’re a RedCard holder). The only items you won’t be able to return are products that have been salvaged or discontinued.
In most cases, Target will accept returns without a receipt, as long as they can back up your purchase another way. Without a receipt, Target can also look up your purchase through your Target Circle account, credit card number, or order confirmation emails.
8. Use Instagram hashtags to see which Target toy deals other people are finding.
During the semi-annual Target toy sales, #targetclearance is a trending hashtag on Instagram. Although inventory varies between stores, it’s always good to see in real time what other people have been able to score.
Browse these hashtags during the toy sale this June/July:
9. These were the best deals from the summer Target Toy Sale in 2022:
- 5 Surprise Monster Trucks — as low as $1.70 (reg. $5.99)
- Nerf Mega XL 10-Dart Refill — as low as $2.56 (reg. $8.99)
- Nickelodeon Cra-Z Sand Tri-Color Bucket of Sand — as low as $2.84 (reg. $9.99)
- Roblox Celebrity BrookHaven: Hair & Nails — as low as $3.70 (reg. $12.99)
- PJ Masks Gekko vs. Night Ninja Battle Racers — as low as $3.98 (reg. $13.99)
- LOL Surprise Arcade Heroes Fashion Dolls — as low as $4.27 (reg. $14.99)
- Tonka Metal Movers Tonka Dirt and Dig Playset — as low as $4.55 (reg. $15.99)
- Funko Pop Disney The Proud Family Oscar and Trudy 2-Pack — as low as $5.12 (reg. $17.99)
- Barbie Snowboarder Doll — as low as $5.69 (reg. $19.99)
- Nerf Elite 2.0 Flipshots Flip-8 Blaster — as low as $6.26 (reg. $21.99)
- Our Generation Patio Treats Trolley Doll Food Accessory Set — as low as $6.26 (reg. $21.99)
- Paw Patrol Rescue Knights Sparks the Dragon and Claw Action Figures — as low as $7.12 (reg. $24.99)
- Cry Babies Dressy Pearly 12″ Baby Doll — as low as $7.12 (reg. $24.99)
- LOL Surprise OMG Dance Dance Dance B-Gurl Fashion Doll — as low as $7.40 (reg. $25.99)
- Disney’s Raya and the Last Dragon Sisu Dragon Chest — as low as $7.69 (reg. $26.99)
- VTech KidiGo Basketball Hoop — as low as $9.97 (reg. $34.99)
- Razor Party Pop Kick Scooter with LED Lights — as low as $14.24 (reg. $49.99)
- Na Na NA Surprise Family Lavender Kitty Family Playset — as low as $21.37 (reg. $74.99)