KCL loves treasure hunting during holiday clearance sales. So at the end of every holiday season, we scrape through the Target Christmas Clearance section for all the lowest-priced finds.
If you’re looking to score some standout deals, there’s no better time to shop for Christmas decor than in the days after Christmas. Even though shopping for holiday items is probably the last thing on your mind after Dec. 25 comes and goes, you can save up to 90% on gift wrap, ornaments, artificial trees, and more for the next holiday season. And at Target, you’ll find plenty of items to buy on after-Christmas clearance that you can use throughout the year, like PJs, slippers, makeup, skincare products, and more.
Even better, Target’s Christmas Clearance runs right along with their Semi-Annual Toy Sale, which starts in late December and runs through January. This is when you’ll score up to 70% off clearance toys in stores — and save an extra 5% with your RedCard.
To help you score the best Christmas clearance deals at Target, I laid out their full schedule of holiday clearance markdowns, plus expert tips for saving even more on these Target deals after Christmas.
1. Target begins their Christmas clearance in mid-December at 30% off.
The best clearance deals at Target start the day after Christmas Day (Dec. 25) — that’s a given. However, you’ll find Christmas gnomes, stockings, and garlands on the clearance shelves before the holiday itself.
Target starts marking down Christmas items in mid-December (sometime around Dec. 13 – 15) at 30% off. So if you need last-minute decor for this year, these deals are definitely worth snagging.
But clearance discounts get even bigger starting the day after Christmas, so you’ll score better deals if you can wait until then.
2. Starting Dec. 26, clearance jumps to 50% off, then 70% off, and finally 90% off if items remain.
Target always follows the same pattern with their Christmas clearance schedule. It starts at 30% off before Christmas but immediately bumps up to 50% off on Dec. 26.
Then, a few days later, Target places a third markdown on Christmas clearance, at 70% off. Finally, if Christmas items still linger on the clearance shelves, they’ll get a final 90% markdown in the early days of January.
Predicted Target Christmas Clearance Schedule 2023
- Dec. 13 – 15: 30% off
- Dec. 26: 50% off
- Dec. 29: 70% off
- Jan. 4: 90% off
3. Shop when Target Christmas clearance hits 70% off — few items are left for the final 90% markdown.
The third leg of Target’s Christmas Clearance is the sweet spot. Shop too early (at 30% or 50% off) and you’ll miss out on some savings. Shop too late (at 90% off) and there won’t be much left to grab.
But if you make your move a few days after Christmas, when holiday clearance hits 70% off, you’ll still have a variety of items to choose from and save more than half the regular price.
4. Look for clearance gift wrap, wall decor, string lights, and matching family pajamas at Target.
There’s a right way and a wrong way to shop Christmas clearance deals at Target. First, just because something is 90% off doesn’t mean you need it. If you have no use for it, even for the next holiday season, skip it.
Focus on the things you’ll definitely need at some point in the coming year, like clothing, gifting supplies, and Christmas decor staples. Last year, we spotted $0.28 gift wrap, $0.50 mini stockings, $2 string lights, and matching holiday pajama sets for as low as $3.50 at Target. Most of these items were in the clearance section at 70% – 90% off.
What we found at 50% off in 2022:
- Wondershop 50 Count Peel & Stick Gift Tags — as low as $1.42 (reg. $3)
- Wondershop 16-Count mini Glass Ball Christmas Tree Ornament Set — as low as $1.42 (reg. $3)
- Wondershop Wood Sled ‘Joy’ with Wreath Wall Sign — as low as $2.37 (reg. $5)
- Wondershop 25-Count Round Mini Christmas Tree Ornament Set — as low as $2.37 (reg. $5)
- Wondershop Potted Pines Gift Wrap, 25 sq ft — as low as $2.37 (reg. $5)
- Wondershop 60-Count LED C6 Faceted String Lights — as low as $4.27 (reg. $9)
- Women’s Holiday Buffalo Check Plaid Fleece Matching Family Pajama Pants — as low as $4.75 (reg. $10)
- Wondershop 9″ Battery Operated Lit Decorative Wooden Star — as low as $4.75 (reg. $10)
- Kids’ Mickey Mouse Jogger Pants — as low as $7.12 (reg. $15)
- Kids Holiday Penguins Matching Family Pajama Set — as low as $7.12 (reg. $15)
- Threshold Large Raffia Decorative Tree — as low as $7.12 (reg. $15)
- Holiday Buffalo Check Fleece Matching Family Pajama Robe — as low as $8.55 (reg. $18)
- Women’s Mama Elf Plaid Slide Slippers — as low as $9.50 (reg. $20)
- Threshold Plaid Tree Skirt, Red — as low as $16.62 (reg. $35)
- Wondershop Hanging Lit ‘JOY’ Sign Brushed Bronze — as low as $19 (reg. $20)
What we found at 70% off in 2022:
- Wondershop Christmas Gift Wrap — as low as $0.85 (reg. $3)
- Wondershop 60-Count LED Smooth Mini Christmas String Lights — as low as $1.99 (reg. $7)
- Wondershop Make Your Own Hot Drink Bomb Kit — as low as $2.84 (reg. $9.99)
- Wondershop ‘Joy’ Cozy Faux Fur Lumbar Christmas Throw Pillow — as low as $2.85 (reg. $10)
- 20″ Fabric ‘Merry Christmas’ Hanging Advent Calendar — as low as $2.85 (reg. $10)
- Opalhouse Lidded Glass Jar 2-Wick Holiday Winter Wonderland Candle — as low as $2.85 (reg. $10)
- Wondershop Toddler Multi Santa Print Matching Family Pajama Set — as low as $3.42 (reg. $12)
- Wondershop Toddler Joy Print Matching Family Pajama Set — as low as $3.42 (reg. $12)
- Wondershop Kids’ Holiday Plaid Matching Family Pajama Nightgown — as low as $4.27 (reg. $15)
- Wondershop Knit Monogram Christmas Stocking — as low as $4.27 (reg. $15)
- Threshold Large Raffia Decorative Tree — as low as $4.27 (reg. $15)
- Wondershop Men’s Papa Elf Plaid Slide Slippers — as low as $5.70 (reg. $20)
- Wondershop Unlit Metal Deer Tree Topper Gold — as low as $5.70 (reg. $20)
- Wondershop Queen Holiday Pattern Flannel Sheet Set — as low as $7.12 (reg. $25)
- Wondershop LED Light Glitter Snowflake Tree Topper — as low as $9.97 (reg. $35)
- Wondershop Hanging Lit Wood ‘NOEL’ Sign — as low as $11.40 (reg. $40)
- Wondershop 32″ Tinsel Santa Novelty Sculpture Light with 4 Interchangeable Faces — as low as $28.50 (reg. $100)
What we found at 90% off in 2022:
- Wondershop Stocking Cookie Cutter — as low as $0.09 (reg. $1)
- Wondershop Melamine Figural Dinner Plate — as low as $0.28 (reg. $3)
- Wondershop Angels Gift Wrap, 55 sq ft — as low as $0.28 (reg. $3)
- Wondershop Mini Christmas Stocking — as low as $0.47 (reg. $5)
- Wondershop 72″ Fabric “Happy Pawliday” Garland — as low as $0.95 (reg. $10)
5. The best Christmas clearance deals are in stores, but you might find a few on Target.com.
Target clearance shopping almost always requires a trip to the store. That’s where you’ll find the deepest discounts for 70% – 90% off. But if you’re still recovering from a Christmas feast coma, you can shop a few seasonal clearance deals on Target.com, too.
In 2022, Target had an online clearance deal for 30% off holiday throw blankets, with prices starting at $6.65. I also spotted a small number of Studio McGee holiday clearance items for 30% off, including faux greenery, pillows, and tree skirts.
All in all, look for Target clearance deals online if you can’t make it to the store, but don’t expect to save more than 50%.
6. Buy Target clearance toys after Christmas to save up to 70%.
Fortunately for shoppers, holiday knick-knacks aren’t the only items Target needs to offload after Christmas. The Target Semi-Annual Toy Clearance runs right alongside their Christmas Clearance, with up to 70% off top toys in stores.
In 2022, the Toy Clearance started at 50% off on Dec. 27, two days after Christmas. This is when we found Our Generation dolls, Disney Frozen playsets, and Star Wars animatronic figures for half their regular price at Target.
But around Jan. 9, 2023, Target clearance toys got a second markdown to 70% off. We spotted 5 Surprise toys as low as $1.70, Disney ILY 4ever Dolls as low as $4.22, and FAO Schwarz playsets as low as $12.
You can expect the Semi-Annual Toy Clearance to run through most of January — so keep a close eye on those clearance shelves in and around the Target toy section in the New Year!
7. Check Target for Christmas clearance deals on skincare and makeup, too.
All those Target beauty items that make great stocking stuffers also get deep discounts after Christmas. You’ll save up to 70% on products you can use year-round.
On Dec. 28, 2022, Target dropped huge clearance deals on makeup, haircare, and skincare from brands like Suave, L’Oreal, NYX, e.l.f, and more. We shared deals for $2 shampoos, $3 lip balm gift sets, $4 mascara, and $5 retinol night cream last year.
A few days after Christmas, be sure to check the clearance shelves and the endcaps of aisles around the Target beauty section at your store to see what’s been marked down.
8. Buy Target gift cards in early December at 10% off, then use them to pay for Christmas clearance items.
The Target Gift Card Sale happens every year during the first weekend in December. It’s a two-day-only sale where all Target gift cards are 10% off the face value. That means you’ll save $5 on $50 gift cards, $10 on $100 gift cards, and $50 on $500 gift cards.
If you’re planning to do some after-Christmas clearance shopping, grabbing Target gift cards for 10% off during the sale is a great way to lock in bigger savings. Shop the Gift Card Sale from Dec. 2 – 3, 2023. Then, when the Christmas Clearance hits 70% off, spend your gift cards on all your top finds to sweeten the deals more.
9. Stop by the Target Dollar Spot for Christmas clearance finds under $5.
Did you know that all those low-priced finds for $5 and under in the Target Dollar Spot go on clearance, too?
Mini Christmas trees, throw pillows, pinecones, tabletop decor — you name it. Clearance items in the Dollar Spot can reach up to 90% off!
At some stores, Dollar Spot clearance items get moved to the Christmas clearance shelves, but you’ll get the same savings either way.
10. Bring your Christmas clearance finds over to the in-store scanner to double-check the price.
Those bright yellow Target clearance tags don’t always show the current price, and some items may be even cheaper than marked. Occasionally, clearance items get a second or third markdown in the system, but the stickers aren’t updated on the shelves.
While shopping for Christmas clearance items, bring your finds over to an in-store price checker at Target. Scan your items to double-check the current price — you may unlock some even lower prices you didn’t know about!