Do you skip the toy section at Target because you think Target toys are too expensive? If you knew how to save big money by buying your kids’ toys and games at Target, you’d run straight there. (Do not pass go, do not collect $200.)
Trust us, the bullseye has plenty of deals. You just need to know when the next Target toy sale is and how to combine that with some other nifty tips, which we have here for you.
Psst! The best way to ensure you never miss a deal? Sign up Target toy alerts in the KCL app.
1. Hit up Target’s Semi-Annual Toy Sale in January and July to save up to 70%.
January and July are the time to stock up on toys at Target during their Semi-annual Toy Sale. Typically, it starts by the first week of January and July and runs for one month. You’ll see the most popular toys — like LEGO — begin with a 30% clearance and increase to 50% and finally 70% as the weeks progress.
Check the stocking stuffer section for toys beginning at 50% off, running all the way up to 90% off by the end of January.
2. Use the Amazon app to price match the toy you want.
Target will price match any qualifying item up to 14 days after purchase, as well. The item must be an exact match from their list of approved competitors (like Walmart.com and BestBuy.com), and you’ll need to show the cashier the better price on your phone.
Note: Toys purchased during Target’s Toy Clearance Sale can’t be price adjusted when they get marked down for greater percent off. Just didn’t want to get you excited about the price adjusting then let you down.
3. Save 10 – 20% on kids’ toys with Target Circle in the Target app.
4. Save 5% on every toy purchase when you use the Target RedCard.
If you use your RedCard as a debit card, you won’t incur any additional fees or interest charges.
5. Look for “Toy Deal of the Day” in November and December to save on Big-ticket toys.
6. Save over 50% on Toy Deal of the Day by stacking Target Circle offers and mobile coupons.
In November 2019, Target offered a 20% off toy coupon in Target Circle for app users and another 25% off toy mobile coupon for texting TOY to 827438. You could stack both coupons on the Toy Deal of the Day to save over 57% on regular price:
Use 20% Off – Fisher-Price Code ‘n Learn Kinderbot, Target Circle Offer (exp. 11/23) (circle.target.com)
Use 25% Off – One Toy, Kids’ Book, or Craft Activity Kit, Target Mobile Coupon (valid 10/27-11/23) Text TOY to 827438
Use RedCard for 5% off
Final Price: $25.64
7. Get money back with Paribus if your Target.com toy purchase drops.
To use Paribus, link it to your email and make your Target toy purchase online.
Paribus compensates us when you sign up for Paribus using the links we provided.
8. Use BrickSeek to check inventory on specific toys before you go.
If you get a “limited quantity” message, then you can double-check against Target.com with your specific store location.
9. Buy board games at Target to score up to 50% off.
Board game sales drop around once a month at Target, but try to hold off until you can get at least 50% off your favorite game.
Other than clearance (which could get you up to 70% off), this is the best deal Target has on board games. Always check the endcaps in the toy department for clearance board games, which can get buried so you might have to dig.
You can also check Hasbro for game coupons.
10. Buy Our Generation dolls and pay 74% less than for American Girl.
Historically, we’ve seen the best sales for Our Generation dolls and accessories on Cyber Monday. In the past, Our Generation prices have dropped as much as 57%!
11. Buy LEGO sets during Black Friday and Pre-Christmas.
Keep in mind that you’ll probably need to be in store for the best LEGO deals, and it will only be select sets that reach savings above 50%.
In the past we’ve seen sets like LEGO Construction Star Wars Chirrut Imwe drop from $24.99 to $10.00 during Black Friday! In 2019, LEGO Movie 2 and LEGO City sets dropped to 50% off the week before Christmas.
12. The worst toy brand to buy at Target is Barbie.
13. Trade in old video games for gift cards you can use toward new toys.
RELATED: Items to Trade for Target Gift Cards