What is Amazon Prime Day and what’s the best strategy?
If you want all the Amazon Prime Day shopping tips, you’re in the right spot. First, a little background.
Back in 2015 Amazon celebrated their 20th anniversary with a “Prime Day,” offering shoppers killer deals. Deals that Amazon promises are better than what you could find on Black Friday.
Thus, Amazon Prime Day was born.
Fast forward four years and Amazon’s competitors are now “woke.” Last year, we saw 54% of retailers offering some type of sale to compete with Amazon on Prime Day.
But never fear, Amazon’s still got a few tricks up their sleeve. Here’s what to expect from Amazon and its competitors this year on Amazon Prime Day.
1. Pretty much anyone can get Amazon deals on Amazon Prime Day.
OK, OK, Prime Day is technically for Amazon Prime members, but if you’re not a member, just plan to sign up for a free 30-day trial of Amazon Prime the first week of July.
Just remember to cancel your membership if you don’t want to keep it, but honestly, why would you cancel?
2. Amazon Prime Day will start 12:00 a.m. PT on Monday, July 15th, 2019.
Amazon Prime Day 2019 will begin at 12:00 a.m. PT on Monday, July 15 and end at 11:59 p.m. PT on Tuesday, July 16. The best part is that this will be the longest Prime Day ever, with more than one million deals offered over 48 hours.
Bookmark our Amazon Deals page now!
3. Plan to shop Amazon for at least 36 hours, possibly more.
The first Amazon Prime Day was actually just one day — 24 hours. But now it’s a day and a half long.
Since Amazon hasn’t ever been accused of backing down when it comes to growth and sales, it’s fair to assume Prime Day could grow into a full two-day event, especially since competitors are offering sales on the same day.
In addition to the 36 hours of Amazon Prime Day, expect to see Daily Deals leading up to the event, typically a week or two before Prime Day starts.
Here are the categories we’ve seen Daily Deals on in the past, usually one category per day:
- Alexa Voice Shopping
- Amazon Music
- Amazon Prime Video
- Everyday Essentials
- Amazon Reading
4. Watch for Amazon to blow competitors out of the water on TV prices, as usual.
Expect Amazon to beat competitors on TVs like they have done for a few years now. Buying your TV on Amazon Prime Day is one of the most legit Amazon Prime Day shopping tips. Last year, Amazon offered a Sony 55″ 4K Ultra HD Smart TV for only $478 (reg. $800). That’s a savings of 40%.
Looking for something smaller? Shoppers last year saved up to 28% on a Toshiba 50″ 4K Ultra Smart LED TV for $289.99 (reg. $399.99). Wanna see the latest TV deals regardless of retailer? Check out our TV deals page.
TIP: Want a new TV today? Stop by Best Buy and ask them to match Amazon’s sale price on identical TVs.
5. Score super low prices on Fire Tablets and Echo Dots on Amazon Prime Day.
Last year, Fire Tablets and Echo Dots were $29.99 each (reg. $49.99).
6. Use KCL deal alerts for specific items you want to see a deal for.
One of our best Amazon Prime Day shopping tips is to use Deal Alerts! If there’s something you’ve needed that you’d like to find a deal on, set up a deal alert inside the free KCL app and then watch for a notification on Prime Day.
You might score a crazy low price without having to wait for Black Friday!
TIP: Even if you don’t have a specific item in mind, download the KCL app to stay up-to-the-minute on Amazon Prime Day.
7. Target will probably give Amazon another run for their money on small appliances.
Last year Target offered a sale “for everyone” — an obvious jab at Amazon’s Prime Day, which is only for Prime Members.
Target’s strategy was wildly successful and gave the retailer its “biggest online shopping day of the year so far” in 2018.
Expect Target to undercut Amazon’s prices on items like small appliances. For example, this is what we saw last year:
- Amazon: 6 qt. 7-in-1 Duo: $58.99 (reg. $99.95 — 41% savings)
- Target: 6 qt. 6-in-1 Lux: $37.98 (reg. $79.99 — 53% savings)
8. Set some cash aside to stock up on jeans at Old Navy during Prime Day.
Old Navy usually offers $8.00 jeans during July, but last year, Old Navy wised up and timed their “epic” sale to coincide with Amazon’s Prime Day.
Expect that to happen again this year and make the most of it by getting out your back-to-school shopping list and crossing off as much as possible.
Learn how to save on jeans every day of the year.
9. On Amazon Prime Day, expect Kohl’s to offer a triple coupon stack, saving you up to 70%.
Last year, Kohl’s busted out all. the. coupon. codes in order to attract Amazon Prime Day shoppers.
You probably know you can stack up to four codes online at Kohl’s.
For example, you can stack one sitewide dollar-off code, one departmental dollar-off code and one percent-off dollar code + any Kohl’s cash code you might have.
One of the best Amazon Prime Day shopping tips for Kohl’s is to buy from whatever department Kohl’s offers a code for. Last year it was Home.
One example of a deal using all three of these codes brought the price of a Keurig Mini coffeemaker down to $34.99 (compared to Amazon’s price: $62.94).
- SAVEBIG: $10.00 off sitewide purchase
- HOME10: $10.00 off home department purchase
- GET15: Additional 15% off
10. Plan to see discounts at Whole Foods during Amazon Prime Day.
Last year, Prime members got $10 back when they spent $10 or more at Whole Foods, and shoppers placing first-time Prime Now orders got $10 off their order plus $10 off a future order.
While we don’t know for sure if these same perks will be available, you can bet Amazon will offer some type of promotion for Whole Foods shoppers.
Find out how to shop at Whole Foods on a budget.
11. Amazon Prime Day prices are probably low, but check CamelCamelCamel to be sure.
This one may put other Amazon Prime Day shopping tips to shame — don’t buy anything without first making sure it’s the lowest price Amazon offers.
CamelCamelCamel tracks Amazon prices and maps them out so you can see price changes in your item.
This information is gold if you’re trying to decide what time of year to buy something.
Of course, we’d like to think Prime Day is actually the best time of year to buy from Amazon (Amazon definitely wants us to think this), but enter the Amazon URL of your item on CamelCamelCamel to be sure.
12. Sign up for Paribus and get Amazon gift cards or credit when your shipments arrive late.
Make sure you sign up for Paribus before you place any orders on Prime Day!
Paribus compensates us when you sign up for Paribus using the links we provided.
13. Add Amazon Lightning Deals to your cart before the sale is live.
New Lightning Deals launch as often as every five minutes. This is why we recommend you click on the item that’s “Upcoming” and then add it to your cart when you see it.
Once the deal is live, check out with 1-Click.
If you miss a Lightning Deal, join the waitlist in case more items become available.
TIP: Make sure your credit card information and shipping info is accurate in order to avoid wasting time during checkout.
14. Earn a $5 Amazon Prime Pantry credit when you choose free No-Rush Shipping.
15. Keep an eye on “Black Friday in July” sales from stores like Macy’s and JCP.
Retailers like Macy’s and JCPenney have offered “Black Friday in July” sales in years past, with great deals happening during Amazon’s Prime Day dates.
Expect to see deals similar to what we saw last year:
- Skillets & frying pans: $9.99 after mail-in rebate
- Air fryers: $19.99 after mail-in rebate
- Pressure cookers: $39.99
- 3-piece comforter sets: $20.00 (reg. $80.00)
- Save up to 66% on Nike
- Save an extra 30% on all apparel, shoes, accessories, home and jewelry
- Bath towels: $2.09 (reg. $10.00)
- Kids’ Arizona jeans: $6.99
Want more Amazon shopping tips? You’re gonna love this video!