Say goodbye to Walmart Rewards, they lived a short life. Now, Walmart Cash is fully taking over as Walmart’s new reward money. And thankfully, it isn’t just for Walmart Plus members this time.
In fact, everyone who shops at Walmart can now earn Walmart Cash on their purchases, thanks to manufacturer offers powered by Ibotta.
Walmart has over 1,000 manufacturer offers available at any given time, offering anywhere from $0.50 to $10 back on certain items. Anything you earn through manufacturer offers gets added to your Walmart Cash balance, which you can redeem on future purchases or exchange for U.S. dollars at a Walmart MoneyCenter.
Before you start earning Walmart Cash, there are a few things to know about how it works, where you can earn it, and how to apply it to your Walmart purchases. I’ve laid out everything you need to know about earning, redeeming, and where to find the best manufacturer offers to score even better Walmart deals.
1. Walmart Cash is reward money you can earn through manufacturer offers.
To earn Walmart Cash on an item, it must have a manufacturer offer available at the time of your purchase. These offers earn you anywhere from $0.50 to $10 in Walmart Cash on a single product.
Unlike Walmart Rewards (which no longer exist), you don’t need to be a Walmart Plus member to claim manufacturer offers and earn Walmart Cash. However, only Walmart Plus members can earn Walmart Cash on travel bookings, thanks to their Walmart Plus Travel benefit.
2. Walmart’s manufacturer offers are powered by Ibotta.
If you’ve ever used the Ibotta app, you’ll notice the manufacturer offers at Walmart look a lot like Ibotta cash-back offers. Well, there’s a reason for that.
Walmart sources their manufacturer offers through Ibotta, but you don’t need the Ibotta app to get them. You can browse and save manufacturer offers directly from your Walmart account, either online or in the app.
Related: How to coupon at Walmart with Ibotta
3. Look for items with the “Get Walmart Cash” label online or in the app.
You can find and add manufacturer offers from the Walmart Cash page, search bar, or product listings online or in the Walmart app. Items with manufacturer offers will have a blue “Get Walmart Cash” label under their listing.
See an offer you want? Tap the checkbox next to “Get Walmart Cash” to save it to your account.
How to earn Walmart Cash online:
- Sign into your Walmart account online or in the app
- Tap “Get Walmart Cash” on eligible items
- Add the eligible items to your cart
- Place your order
Once your order is delivered or collected via Walmart pickup, the manufacturer offer amount gets added to your Walmart Cash balance.
And that’s it! Your earnings will appear in your balance within a few minutes.
4. Use the Walmart barcode scanner to find manufacturer offers in-store.
There’s a quick and easy way to uncover manufacturer offers as you shop for items in-store.
All you have to do is use the Walmart barcode scanner in the Walmart app. Tap the barcode icon in your search bar to open the scanner. Then, scan the barcode on any item to pull up its listing in the app. That’s where you’ll see whether a manufacturer offer is available for that item.
How to earn Walmart Cash in stores:
- Sign into your Walmart account in the app
- Tap “Get Walmart Cash” on eligible items
- Scan the Walmart Pay QR code at checkout
- Purchase your items
Your cash will be added to your balance within a few minutes of your in-store purchase.
5. Redeem your Walmart Cash on future purchases in stores or online.
Ready to spend your Walmart Cash earnings? Whether you’re shopping online or in-store, you can apply your balance to your purchase at checkout.
Online & in the App:
Select “apply Walmart Cash balance” in the Wallet section at checkout. If your balance doesn’t fully cover your purchase total, you’ll choose a payment method to use for the remaining amount.
Open the Walmart app at checkout and tap “Use Walmart Cash,” then choose how you’d like to pay for the remaining total (if any).
If your balance is more than your purchase total, only the amount needed to cover your purchase will be applied.
6. Or, redeem your Walmart Cash for U.S. dollars in-store.
The cool thing about Walmart Cash is that you don’t have to use it toward a future Walmart purchase. In fact, you can redeem it for real cash in U.S. dollars — but you can only do this in-store at the Walmart MoneyCenter or Customer Service desk. And, you’ll need a balance of at least $25 to cash out.
How to Cash Out In-Store:
- Select “Ways to earn” on your Walmart Cash page online or in the app
- Tap “Cash out in-store” under Walmart Cash tools
- Tap “Show cash out barcode” to generate the barcode for an employee to scan
- Visit the MoneyCenter or Customer Service desk at any Walmart store
- Show your cash-out barcode and valid ID to an employee
The maximum you can redeem for cash in one day is $100.
7. You can’t earn Walmart Cash and use paper coupons on the same item.
Unfortunately, stacking paper coupons with manufacturer offers won’t work if you’re looking to earn Walmart Cash on that item.
If you use a paper coupon in-store and have also added a manufacturer offer for that item, Walmart will apply the paper coupon, but you won’t earn anything from the manufacturer offer.
Related: Shop smarter and score freebies with our complete Walmart couponing guide.
8. If you return an item that earned you Walmart Cash, you won’t get to keep your earnings.
Sorry folks, but the Walmart return policy doesn’t let you keep Walmart Cash for an item if you end up returning it later.
Once your return gets processed, your earnings will be deducted from your balance, unless the original manufacturer offer could apply to another item in that same purchase.
9. Spend your Walmart Cash on almost anything — with a few exceptions.
You can redeem Walmart Cash on most items at Walmart — food, toys, clothes, furniture, household essentials, you name it.
But of course, every policy has its exclusions. There’s a list of items you can’t buy with your earnings, the main ones being alcohol, tobacco, gift cards, and prescription medication.
You cannot redeem Walmart Cash on the following items:
- Firearm and ammunition products
- Lottery tickets
- Financial services (including those offered by Walmart MoneyCenters)
- Membership fees for Walmart Plus
- All gift cards (including Walmart gift cards and prepaid cards from Visa, Mastercard, or AMEX)
- Prescription drugs, medical supplies, co-pays, and deductibles
- Health care services provided by Walmart
- Optical products and services