If you’re a nonstop Walmart shopper, you definitely want to be familiar with the Walmart return policy. Walmart’s pretty lenient when it comes to returns, but it’s nice to know the basics like the Walmart electronics return policy and if Walmart takes returns without receipts.
Let’s take a look at what you need to know about Walmart returns.
1. The Walmart return policy gives you 90 days to return most products.
I recently had a Walmart.com shopping spree where I got everything from a new Swiffer to a new sweater. The only problem was when the sweater came in, it wasn’t the fit I was expecting. (Which is too bad because I loved the design.)
I brought my sweater into the store and got my money back without needing my paper receipt (more on that later).
Thankfully, the Walmart return policy gives you 90 days to return items like clothes, shoes, jewelry, etc.
You also have 60 days to return prescription glasses and 30 days to return most third-party (marketplace) items from Walmart.com.
2. The Walmart electronics return policy gives you 30 days for most gadgets.
You’ve got 30 days to return most electronics at Walmart, including electric scooters, hoverboards, and Verizon postpaid mobile phones.
Walmart also gives you 14 days for any other mobile phone returns.
3. Use a digital receipt from your email for in-store Walmart returns.
You don’t even need a receipt if you shop Walmart.com, since you’ll get an order number emailed to you. If you want to return something in store, pull up the 13-digit order number from your email and show it to the service desk.
No need to even pull out your wallet -– they’ll immediately refund it to whatever card you used to make your purchase. The same applies if you’ve purchased your items with other payment methods like PayPal and Affirm.
4. Lost your paper receipt? Scan the card you paid with.
If you shopped in store and paid with a card but tossed your receipt, you’re not out of luck. Walmart will scan the credit or debit card you purchased your item with to give you a refund.
5. You can do Walmart returns without a receipt for cash or gift cards.
If you have absolutely no proof of purchase, you’re not out of luck. Go to the Service Desk with the product and your ID, and the team member can look up the item. If they approve the return, they’ll let you do an exchange or refund.
If you go for the refund, you’ll get cash for items under $25 and a gift card for anything $25 and over.
6. The Walmart return policy lets you mail back your items for free.
If you want to return your Walmart order, you can send it back by mail without paying a cent. This works whether you got your order in the store or on Walmart.com. You can do the whole process through the Walmart app under Purchase History.
The only downside of returning by mail is how long it takes to get your money back. While you’ll get your money back as soon as the product is processed, expect to wait two to three weeks.
7. Use the Walmart app to speed up your in-store return.
You can also use the Walmart app to speed up your in-store return. This is called Mobile Express Returns and you do it through your Purchase History in the app. You’ll get a QR code you show at the Service Desk, hand over the goods, and boom! Easy return.
8. The Walmart return policy doesn’t let you return everything.
While the 90-day Walmart return policy covers a lot, some things you can’t return at all.
Here’s what you shouldn’t expect a refund on:
- Firearms, ammo, crossbows, and airsoft/BB guns
- Minutes for prepaid cell phones
- Pepper spray
- Trading cards
- Gas-powered items like dirt bikes, go karts, and ATVs
- Prescription drugs and devices
- Hygienic medical equipment and diabetic supplies
- Used tires
- Anything including pseudoephedrine, phenylpropanolamine, or ephedrine
- Ovulation and pregnancy tests, sex toys, and home diagnostic testing kits
9. Return damaged items within the initial 90 days.
If your product is damaged or defective, it can still be returned within the first 90 days if you have a receipt. This even counts for products that have been opened. The same applies for prescription glasses (60 days) and electronics (30 days).
10. You can return non-perishable food within 90 days.
Like with most items with the Walmart return policy, you can return non-perishable foods within 90 days.
I ordered some Heinz ketchup from Walmart.com, only to find out I accidentally ordered jalapeno flavored. (Gross.) I brought it to the store and flashed my receipt for an instant refund.
Thankfully, I didn’t open it (again, gross), but even if I had, Walmart would still have sent a replacement or refund through the mail since I got it online — no need to send the item back. If I bought it in store, I would have had to go back to the store for a return or refund.
As for perishables, Walmart offers the Fresh Guarantee for anything from their Bakery, Meat, Deli, and Produce departments. As long as you have a receipt, they’ll give you a full refund, but only if you return to the store where you bought the food. No time limit as long as you’re before the “best by” date.
11. You can’t return gift cards to Walmart at all.
Change your mind after buying a gift card at Walmart? You’re out of luck, since you can’t return any gift card to Walmart. Speaking of cards, you also can’t return:
- Video game download cards
- Prepaid cell phone cards
- SIM cards
- Prepaid gaming cards
I definitely recommend just using the gift card or reselling it on Gift Card Granny.
12. You’ve got a year to return trees, shrubs, and perennials.
13. Get extra return time around the holidays.
Anything you buy at Walmart between Oct. 16 and Dec. 25 has an immediate return beginning date of Dec. 26.
So basically, if you buy an Instant Pot on Oct. 16, you’ve got a full 160 days to return it.
14. Returning something after using a coupon? You won’t get the value of the coupon back.
Let’s say you used a $1 manufacturer coupon on a $5 box of hair dye, only to find out it’s the wrong color. You can still do the return, but you’ll only get $4 back and not the value of the coupon.
15. If you’ve already opened it, some things can only be exchanged.
Walmart’s usually cool about opened returns, except when it comes to the following items:
- Unlocked wireless phones (14 days to exchange)
- Air beds and air mattresses (90 days to exchange)
- Medical equipment like walkers, crutches, and slings (90 days to exchange)
You won’t get a refund for any of these, but you can exchange them.
16. Return Walmart contacts for up to a year if they’re unopened.
If you order contacts from WalmartContacts.com, you’ve got 365 days to return them. But they have to be unopened for a full refund.
RELATED: Walmart Clearance Secrets
RELATED: Walmart Promo Codes
UP NEXT: Walmart Couponing Hacks