Home improvement purchases aren’t always a sure thing, so it’s important to know what to do if your items don’t work out. Lowe’s return policy is pretty fair and straightforward. In most cases, you won’t even need a receipt to get a full refund.
Even though Lowe’s clearly explains their return policy online, nearly every rule can be broken at the discretion of a store manager. I’ll walk you through all the major parts of Lowe’s return policy you need to know, plus where you’ll find the most flexibility with returns, refunds, and exchanges.
1. Lowe’s return policy gives you 90 days to return most items for a full refund.
Lowe’s gives you 90 days to return most “new and unused” items for a full refund. Of course, there are a few exceptions for certain Lowe’s items (which we’ll cover below). But you can think of Lowe’s 90-day return window as the standard.
It’s important to know that Lowe’s store managers always have the final say — and some are more lenient than others when it comes to breaking their standard return policy.
TIP: If you want to return an item after the 90-day mark, give your local Lowe’s store a call and explain your situation to the store manager. You might get lucky, so it’s worth a shot!
2. You don’t need your receipt to return most items to Lowe’s.
Lowe’s has more than one way to verify your purchase in store, which is why they’ll accept returns without a receipt for most items. The exceptions? You’ll need your original receipt for plants, water heaters, and highway trailers.
But for the most part, you’ll still get a full refund without a receipt as long as your item is still in “like-new” condition. All you need is a valid photo ID and one of the following:
- The email address on your MyLowes account (your account tracks all your purchases, so customer service can easily look everything up)
- Your Lowe’s Advantage credit card (if you have one)
- The debit or credit card you used to pay for your purchase
- Your phone number if you provided it at the time of your purchase
If you can’t provide any of the above and you don’t have your original receipt, the best you’ll get is store credit for your Lowe’s return.
TIP: Be warned — if you try to return too many items to Lowe’s without a receipt, they may end up “blacklisting” you from making receiptless returns in the future.
3. Lowe’s returns are free whether you return items in store or by mail.
Lowe’s won’t charge you for return shipping, so mailing your returns back to Lowe’s is pretty painless.
How to process a Lowe’s return by mail:
- Sign in to your MyLowes account.
- Select “Order History” and the item you’d like to return.
- Print your return label and place it on your packaged return.
- Drop your return package off at the post office (or hand it to your mail carrier).
In-store returns at Lowe’s are free, too — and you’ll get your refund much quicker (typically a week or two sooner than with mailed returns).
4. Lowe’s credit card holders have a whopping 365 days to return most items.
If you have a Lowe’s Advantage Credit Card, you have 365 days to return most Lowe’s items. However, the same exceptions that apply under Lowe’s normal return policy also apply to Lowe’s credit card holders (think: appliances, paint, and outdoor tools, which get only 30 days for returns).
But for everything else, you’ll have a full year to make your return. And because you’re a cardholder, Lowe’s will track all of your store purchases on your account — so you won’t need your receipt.
Related: We put together a guide to the best store credit cards.
5. Lowe’s plant return policy gives you 365 days to return trees, shrubs, and perennial plants — but you’ll need your receipt.
Plants are one of the few exceptions to Lowe’s standard return policy. If you’re looking for a replacement or refund on your plant purchase, you can return any tree, shrub, or perennial plant within 365 days. But you must have your original receipt to make the return.
All other Lowe’s plants fall under the standard 90-day return window.
6. You only have 30 days to return Lowe’s paint for a full refund.
Although you don’t need your receipt to return paint purchases, you only have 30 days to make your return if you’re looking for a full refund. Your paint must be in “like-new” condition, but if you received the wrong color or your paint is defective, Lowe’s will make an exception for your return.
7. Major appliances have a much shorter return window — you only have 48 hours to get a full refund.
The clock starts ticking as soon as you receive your Lowe’s appliance, and the countdown stops not long after that. That’s why it’s super important to check your appliance for any problems or damage as soon as it’s delivered.
The 48-hour return window applies to refrigerators, freezers, washers, dryers, ranges, hoods, dishwashers, over-the-range microwaves, cooktops, wall ovens, and washer pedestals.
Related: I rounded up all the best ways to get Lowe’s appliances at rock-bottom prices.
8. Lowe’s gives you 30 days to return most outdoor power equipment.
Most outdoor power equipment — like mowers, chainsaws, generators, blowers, and pressure washers — must be returned within 30 days for a full refund. However, if you buy a Craftsman or Black+Decker outdoor power tool from Lowe’s, you still have the full 90 days to return it.
Regardless, you can only return these items if they’re unused and in good condition. You’ll have the best chance of getting a refund if you return the equipment in its original packaging.
9. You must return holiday items to Lowe’s on or before the day of the holiday.
The earlier you buy holiday decor and seasonal items, the better. Lowe’s gives you up until the day of the holiday to return holiday decor. So even if you buy Christmas decor in August, you have until Dec. 25 to return it to Lowe’s. All holiday purchases made after the day of the holiday are final sale, so you won’t be able to return them at all.
TIP: Want the best deals on holiday items from Lowe’s? You don’t want to miss Lowe’s Black Friday sale this year.
10. Most sales are final (meaning no returns) if you shop at a Lowe’s Outlet store.
If you buy a discounted item at one of the Lowe’s Outlet store locations, remember that your purchase isn’t covered by the standard Lowe’s return policy.
According to their website, most purchases from an Outlet location are final and may not be returned. The only exception is if your item has mechanical or electrical damage or defects. In that case, you’ll need to bring the item back within 48 hours.
Have more questions about Lowe’s return policy? Drop them in the comments below!