We're reader-supported and only partner with brands we trust. When you buy through links on our site we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date and time indicated and are subject to change.
1. Use digital store and manufacturer coupons.
Digital coupons are coupons that can be loaded to your loyalty card or store account. They’re just like the paper coupons you find in the newspaper or print from the Internet, except there’s no clipping or paper involved. Enter your phone number at checkout to redeem these discounts, or access a store’s app for redemption instructions.
The stores listed below all offer digital coupons. Sign up for each store’s loyalty program, or create an account on their website.
- Dollar General
- Family Dollar
- Harris Teeter
- Kroger and Kroger affiliate stores
- Rite Aid
- Shop Rite
- Stop & Shop
- Tom Thumb
- Whole Foods
2. Rebate apps will reward you with cash back on grocery, retail, and alcohol purchases.
Rebate apps get you cash back on purchases after your transaction. Unlike coupons that must be presented at checkout, you do nothing at the register until you get a receipt showing that you purchased qualifying products. Submit a photo of your proof of purchase then get reimbursed via PayPal within 24 hours.
Download these rebate apps and take advantage of as many offers as you can. The best part? You’re allowed to submit the same receipt into multiple rebate apps!
Learn more: Ultimate Comprehensive Guide to Rebate Apps
3. Print exclusive, free coupons from the CVS ExtraCare Coupon Center.
Every time you hit up your local CVS Pharmacy, stop by the ExtraCare Coupon Center and scan your ExtraCare card (or enter your phone number). Exclusive deals, coupons, and rewards will print for you to use that same day in-store. And yes, you’ll get coupons every time!
Learn more: How to Extreme Coupon at CVS
4. Target Circle has coupons and percent-off discounts right in the app.
Save anywhere from 5-50% on products without paper coupons with Circle now located in the Target app. Choose percent-off offers and cents-off digital manufacturer coupons in the app, then have a cashier scan your unique barcode at checkout. All the offers and coupons you selected will be applied to your total in one simple scan.
5. Sign up to receive retailer text alerts and coupons.
Let the coupons come directly to you when you sign up for text alerts. Some of the hottest savings come from these stores’ mobile coupons:
- For World Market coupons: text SIGNUP to 957-30
- For Kohl’s coupons: text SAVE to 564-57
- For Staples coupons: text STAPLES to 555-444
- For Sally Beauty coupons: text COSMO10 to 725-59
- For Target coupons: text DECOR or SAVE to 827-438
For JCPenney coupons: enter phone number at JCPenney.com
Learn more: 24 Retailers That Send Coupons via Text
6. Stack online coupon codes.
To “stack” coupons means to use more than one coupon in a single transaction. For example, you can use a manufacturer coupon, store coupon, and rebate-app offer to save on one product at Target.
You can also stack coupons codes online to save in a single transaction. Stack multiple coupon codes on the following store sites:
- Kohl’s – up to 4 coupons
- Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy and Athleta – up to 5 coupons
- Amazon – unlimited coupons
- Target – unlimited coupons
- Michaels – unlimited coupons
- Newegg – unlimited coupons
- Sears – unlimited coupons
Learn more: These Retailers Allow Coupon Stacking Online
7. Earn cash back with Ebates.
When you shop a retailer through Ebates.com, Ebates gets a commission for the sale. You also get a cut of their earnings. For instance, if Ebates earns 8% on commission, you get 2-6% back in cash.
One of the easiest ways to save with Ebates is to buy groceries from Walmart online and choose the free store pickup option. You can earn 2% back without coupons just by shopping through Ebates.
8. Use weekly and monthly in-ad coupons.
Store coupons found in a retailer’s weekly ad sometimes carry quantity limits of say 2-4 items, which means you can use just the one coupon to save on multiples instead of a single product. For instance, if a Walgreens in-ad coupons says “Limit 3,” use that one coupon to save on up to 3 products.
9. Score high-value Catalina coupons when you make qualifying purchases.
A Catalina coupon is a long, receipt-like coupon that prints from a machine near the register. Catalina coupons print when a qualifying purchase is made and can be used like cash on a future shopping trip. A lot of people discard these coupons especially at self-checkout, so keep your eyes peeled for them lying around the registers!
Drugstores like Rite Aid and Walgreens are great at offering high-value Catalina coupons for spending a certain amount on specified products. For instance, recently Rite Aid had a Huggies diapers promotion that produced a $10 Catalina coupon just for buying $30 worth of product. KCL will let you know when great deals like this come up in their Deals section.
10. Subscribe to the Sunday newspaper for coupon inserts.
Hands-down, one of the best alternatives to print coupons are good ol’ newspaper insert coupons. In fact, we recommend you use newspaper coupons along with print coupons for maximum savings. There are three coupon inserts that come in the Sunday paper: Smart Source (SS), RetailMeNot Everyday (RMN, formerly Red Plum), and Procter & Gamble (PG).
Subscribe to or buy at least a few copies each week in order to stock up when products are at rock-bottom prices with coupons. KCL publishes a preview of upcoming newspaper coupons each Saturday morning so you’ll know whether your favorite brands will have good coupons that week.
Ready to buy a printer?
Just think of all the money you’ll be saving with those printable coupons! The initial investment is worth it.
Experts picked these inkjet all-in-one printers:
- HP Envy 5540: Amazon’s price of $60 is a steal when you consider the touchscreen, wireless, and photo-printing capabilities of this printer. It also comes with a one-year warranty.
- Canon PIXMA MG3620: Amazon sells this budget printer for only $40. It’s compact, easy to set up, and allows you to print coupons from your mobile device.
Experts picked these laser printers:
- Brother HL-L2340DW: Amazon charges $109, it’s wireless, it’s rated #1 for cheap cost-per-use, it has a simple setup, and it works with any wireless device.
- Samsung Xpress SL-M2835DW/XAA: Amazon’s cost is only $90, it’s wireless, it’s rated #2 for cheap cost-per-use, it has sharp printing, but setup is less easy than the Brother HL-L2340DW.
TIP: If you bring your old printer for recycling at Best Buy, they’ll give you 15% off a new HP inkjet printer.