1. How to get Foursquare
Foursquare is a free mobile-based app. The app is available for practically any smart device you can imagine.
- Download Foursquare for iOS, Android, Windows, Blackberry, and more: https://foursquare.com/download
2. How to register with Foursquare
Once you've downloaded the app of your choice, it's time to register for a free user account. You'll need to provide some information—your name, email address, a password and more. Because you'll be using Foursquare to let your network know your whereabouts, you may also want to configure your privacy settings right away (this Privacy Grid will help).
3. How to add friends with Foursquare
Foursquare makes it easy to add friends to your Foursquare network. The "how to" of this is a bit different depending on your device's operating system, but Foursquare will guide you through it. Adding friends is how you find out what great deals they're redeeming—and how you share your own finds with others.
4. How to check in with Foursquare
The "check-in" process is where the game, coupon search and deal-finding aspects of Foursquare all intersect. The more you check in, the more likely you're to cash in on deals offered by those businesses. The more you check in at specific places, the more points and badges you'll earn (and the more extra-special coupons, discounts, and deals you may be offered).
- Points: You accumulate points based on how often you check in, and how often you check in at specific repeat places, within a 60-day period. If you check in at a certain place more than any other Foursquare user, you're designated the "Mayor" of that place and may be offered discounts and incentives that are unique to you.
- Badges: Badges in particular are driven by companies hot to market to interested customers. There are many, many different badges you can earn…and since Foursquare awards badges at their discretion, you just never know when you might get a new one!
5. How to find deals with Foursquare
There are many ways to find coupons, discounts and deals on Foursquare. Here are some of the most popular ways.
- Check in a lot: When you check in at a location, that's when you'll discover if that business is offering any special deals or discounts that day.
- Check Foursquare's blog: Often daily deals or ongoing specials are posted on the blog first. http://blog.foursquare.com.
- Check out sites that list Foursquare finds: e.g., Retail Me Not and Ranker.
- Follow Foursquare's mobile alerts site: https://foursquare.com/p/alertcouponsmobi/15020236
- Search local businesses on your phone: Local businesses offering Foursquare deals will have "special" by their name—click to find out what the deal or coupon offering is.
- Check out Foursquare's Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/foursquare.
For more money-saving articles, check out: