Everyone in my family loves this simple, delicious meal. It comes together quickly but is packed full of flavor!
Chicken & Black Bean Enchilada Casserole
2 cups cubed chicken – $2.60
1/2 tsp ground cumin – $0.07
1/2 tsp garlic powder – $0.06
2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro – $0.50
1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained – $0.72
1 (4 oz) can diced green chili peppers, drained – $0.72
1 (10 oz) can red enchilada sauce – $0.88
8 (6-inch) corn tortillas – $0.41
2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese – $2.00
1 (8 oz) container sour cream – $0.84
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Heat two tablespoons olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Saute chicken with cumin and garlic powder until cooked through.
2. Transfer chicken to a medium bowl and stir in cilantro, black beans and green chili peppers.
3. Spray a 9″x13″ baking dish with cooking spray. Spread half the enchilada sauce in the bottom of pan. Place 4 tortillas over sauce, overlapping if necessary. Spoon half the chicken mixture over tortillas, sprinkle with half the cheese, and spread with half the sour cream.
4. Spoon remaining enchilada sauce over cheese. Add another layer of tortillas. Layer remaining chicken mixture over tortillas.
5. Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake 30 minutes.
6. Remove cover and sprinkle remaining cheese over top. Dot with sour cream. Continue cooking, uncovered, for an additional 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Total Cost: $8.80