Throwing together a delicious turkey pot pie is a simple solution to use up some of that leftover turkey! Making a simple from-scratch filling and using a store-bought pie crust makes this dish easy but still impressive. Your family will keep asking for it long after Thanksgiving’s over!
Turkey Pot Pie
1/2 cup carrots, chopped – $0.21
1/2 cup potatoes, chopped, peeled and cubed – $0.20
1 Tbsp butter – $0.08
1/2 cup onion, chopped – $0.22
1/2 cup celery, chopped – $0.24
2 cups cooked turkey – $1.20
2/3 cup flour – $0.06
1/2 cup light whipping cream – $1.34
3 cups chicken broth – $1.49
1/2 tsp salt – $0.01
1/4 tsp black pepper – $0.01
1/2 cup frozen peas – $0.48
1 double pie crust, homemade or store bought – $1.18
1 egg – $0.11
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a small saucepan filled with water, cook the carrots and potatoes until tender. Drain water and set aside.
2. In a medium saucepan, heat butter and cook onions and celery for five minutes. Add carrots, potatoes and turkey. Stir flour into mixture. Continue to cook and stir 3 minutes. Gradually stir in whipping cream until combined. Add broth, salt and pepper. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir one more minute. Stir in frozen peas. Remove from heat and pour into unbaked pie shell.
3. Place top crust over turkey mixture. Pinch sides until it fits nicely on the pie pan.
4. Beat egg with one tablespoon water and brush over pie shell to help brown.
5. Place in oven and bake 35-40 minutes.
Total Cost: $6.83