It’s no secret that weddings are freakishly expensive.
But there’s no reason you can’t have the wedding of your dreams while staying within your wedding budget.
The secret? Our best friend, the dollar store. Here’s how to cut your wedding costs by making the dollar store your BFF.
Download the official KCL app so you never miss a deal.
1. Fill paper lunch bags with LED lights to make lanterns.
2. Decorate bride and groom champagne glasses for the toast.
Basically all you need is a little bit of black paint and some tulle.
3. Make cupcake stands out of plates and candleholders.
Use strong adhesive rated for glass — like E6000 — to attach candleholders to plates.
TIP: You can also use this to make a cake stand if you use a pie pan instead of plates.
4. Make a paper lantern using cupcake liners.
The color possibilities are endless, too!
5. Buy pillar candles — they’re cheaper than they are at craft stores.
You can get sweet deals on pillar candles at Walmart, but nobody beats the dollar store here.
Learn more ways to save on candles like tea lights and jar candles.
6. Put fairy lights to work being fabulous inside dollar store jars.
Amazon offers decent prices on fairy lights — you can get them for a little over a dollar per string.
7. Make lanterns out of dollar store frames and spray paint.
What happens when hot glue and dollar frames meet a little bit of spray paint? Lantern magic.
8. Put together a DIY hot chocolate bar.
You can find all the jars, lids, and shakers you need to make a hot chocolate bar for your guests.
And if you used candy coupons to save on items like marshmallows or hot chocolate powder to round it out, nobody would think you’re too crazy.
9. Use tea towels as high-class cloth napkins.
Tea towels will make your wedding feel like a Williams-Sonoma designer planned it.
And nobody has to know the “napkins” came from the dollar store!
10. Spray paint dollar store mason jars, bottles, and vases.
Don’t shy away from metallics and glitter!
11. Give plastic serving trays an upgrade with white spray paint and a scrub sponge.
Just rough up the surface of a plastic dollar store tray with a kitchen scrub sponge and then spray paint it!
12. Make DIY candy jars to display at the reception.
Once you have some terra-cotta pots and globe vases, all that’s left is to decide what color of spray paint to use.
13. Use dollar store supplies to fashion classy topiaries.
These are slightly more involved, but worth the effort if you want something that doesn’t even look like it was DIY’ed.
14. Add water to mason jars to make globes for decor.
These are perfect for a winter wedding, but you could easily use seashells or anything else in order to keep with your wedding theme!
15. Turn coffee filters into faux roses.
Add a bit of dye if you want colored roses.
16. Decorate a Hula-Hoop to display photos.
A Hula-Hoop, ribbon, and hot glue make this come to life.
You can also go for dollar store artificial flowers instead of real ones to save extra money.
17. Fill centerpiece vases with candies or fake fruit instead of fresh flowers.
After venue costs, catering, and possibly photography, fresh flowers can be one of the most expensive items in your wedding budget.
18. Use dollar store ribbons to decorate the backs of chairs.
19. Transform dollar store bottles and twine into a flower bottle garland.
20. Use balloons to decorate doorways or create a balloon arch.
You can do so much with balloons, and the best part is you can get them at the dollar store.
21. Spray paint cheap charger plates rose gold for an instant upgrade.
Of course, any color works, but rose gold is just so freaking classy!
22. Buy party favor bags and fill them with candy for guests.
The dollar store sells these little bags, and you can customize them however you want to fit your theme.