It is no secret that preparing your yearly taxes can be, well…taxing! Even though tax day doesn’t come until the 17th, this year, the receipts, the number crunching, the forms–they’ve already got me feeling very overwhelmed. But the worst part of the whole process has to be writing a big check to the accountant after it is all said and done. Right?
Wrong! Put your checkbook away, because Turbo Tax and H&R Block both offer free tax filing programs! Their websites offer a comprehensive guide to help you determine which one best meets your needs. If your tax return is more complicated (i.e. you're self-employed or own multiple properties) you may be prompted to upgrade from the free version to the deluxe version for a separate fee. You are, of course, under no obligation to upgrade if you do not wish to do so.
Basic facts about Turbo Tax and H&R Block!
Turbo Tax, Free edition offers a reassuring guarantee that your taxes are done right and that you get your maximum tax refund as fast as possible. You can prepare, e-file and print your simple federal tax return on Turbo Tax for free!
- Click on the "free edition" option located on the left hand side of your screen.
- The site will prompt you to create an account. No credit card is required.
- After you create your account, start entering your tax information.
- Confused already? Simply look to the right hand side of your screen for free online support. .
- When you are finished, TurboTax checks your calculations, guarantees your refund, and e-files your taxes for free. TurboTax also saves your information for the following tax season.
- Turbo Tax can also file your state taxes if you choose for a fee of $27.95.
H&R Block also offers free federal edition software! You can file your simple federal tax return at no cost. H&R Block provides an accurate calculation guarantee and a maximum guarantee as well. Worried about being audited? If so, free audit support and audit representation is part of H&R Block's worry-free guarantee.
- Visit H&R Block to get started today.
- Fill in your information to start up your account.
- You will be directed to start the Free edition. No credit card required.
- Start entering your tax information. Need assistance? Look to the right hand side of your screen for free online support.
- H&R Block can also file your state taxes if you choose for $27.95.
Make yourself familiar with these programs and decide what works best for your situation!