Free groceries. Free Crock-pots. Free plane tickets . . . OH, MY! 2018’s savings were smokin’ hot!
Make it a resolution to use these easy money-saving strategies in 2019:
1. Sign up for Paribus and get easy and free price adjustments.
Paribus is the definition of set-it-and-forget-it.
If you’re someone who doesn’t have time to pay attention to sales on your items after you buy them, Paribus was designed for you.
Monitoring 25+ major online retailers, Paribus will request the difference from retailers on your behalf when your purchased items go on sale within the (typically) 14-day window.
It’s free and totally mindless.
Paribus compensates us when you sign up for Paribus using the links we provided.
2. Buy certain generics on Amazon and save up to 80%.
It’s true — you can find some seriously amazing deals on generics when you shop Amazon.
This happens most often with refillable items. Like when you finally cave and buy a Sonicare toothbrush only to realize you’re supposed to replace those spendy heads once every three months. Ouch.
Buy the generic version — it works just as well — for 80% less.
3. Get gift cards from Fetch Rewards by taking a picture of your receipt.
Upload your grocery receipt to the Fetch Rewards app when you get home, and earn points that translate into gift cards.
Earnings are based on what you buy — 1,000 points translates to $1. You can redeem your points as soon as you’ve earned 3,000 points (yep — a $3 gift card to retailers like Amazon, CVS or Target). Hoard your points and you’ll get more retailer options for your gift card reward.
4. Ask Pottery Barn kids to price match baby gear Target sells for less.
The regular Pottery Barn store won’t price match. But Pottery Barn kids sells a ton of baby gear brands like Nuna, Medela and Owlet.
If you find a cheaper price at Target, Pottery Barn Kids will give you Target’s price.
5. Get small kitchen appliances for less than a buck at Kohl’s and Macy’s.
When Black Friday rolls around, you’d better add Kohl’s and Macy’s to your itinerary! KCL consistently finds killer deals every year on slow cookers, blenders, hand mixers and other small appliances.
At Kohl’s, it’s all about stacking coupon codes — you can use up to 4 offers per transaction — with mail-in rebates and Kohl’s Cash. Do this and expect to pay less than a buck (we get them for about $0.33 apiece)!
Macy’s usually offers rebates on select small appliances like coffee makers and slow cookers on Black Friday. After the rebate, these items are free.
6. Find name-brand items at Ross and T.J.Maxx for half-price.
You can save big bucks on popular name brands like The North Face, Coach, Nike, Adidas, Marmot and a whole lot more when you hunt for a deal at Ross and T.J.Maxx.
Of course, stock is inconsistent, but is there any better feeling than finding a jewel at one of these stores and then paying almost nothing for it?
7. Know which store-brand items are actually made by name brands.
You can save 20-50% by buying generic over name brand without coupons, but is the quality worth the cheaper price? It is if you buy these generics!
The packaging may be different, but each of these off-brands is made by name-brand manufacturers:
- Trader Joe’s Pita Chips = Stacey’s Pita Chips
- Trader Joe’s Mac and Cheese = Annie’s Mac and Cheese
- Trader Joe’s Creamy Tomato soup = Pacific Creamy Tomato soup
- Kirkland Signature batteries = Duracell batteries
- Kirkland Signature tuna = Bumblebee tuna
- Great Value spices = McCormick spices
- Great Value canned vegetables = Green Giant
- Great Value frozen whipped cream = Cool Whip
- Kroger American cheese = Kraft American cheese
8. Buy name-brand products for cheaper than generics with the Krazy Coupon Lady app.
You guys. . . KCL has a team of dedicated shopping experts who match coupons with sales and promos for you — for free! Download the app and use it to create shopping lists and print free coupons right from your Apple or Android phone.
You’ll regularly score name-brand grocery and retail products like Tide, Bounty, Carter’s, Pampers, Gap and more for cheaper than generics. Plus, KCL will alert you right on your smartphone whenever a great deal comes along so you’ll never miss another hot price again.
9. Get free food when you download the McDonald’s and Chick-fil-A apps.
Both the McDonald’s and Chick-fil-A apps are legit. Downloading them is the easiest way to score free meals regularly.
At McDonald’s you can expect freebies like BOGO Happy Meals, and at Chick-fil-A, get free food when you earn points. The more you spend, the more freebies you get.
10. Get $1 or $2 drinks at Applebee’s every month of the year.
Applebees was our Happy Hour jam this year. Every month there was a new super cheap drink.
- January: $2 Blue Moon beer
- February: $1 Bahama Mama (DollarMama)
- March: $2 Absolut Vodka Lemonade
- April: $1 Margarita (Dollarita)
- May: $2 Dos Equis beer
- June: $1 Long Island Iced Tea
- July: $3 Grey Goose and Cranberry
- August: $1 Strawberry Margarita
- September: $2 Sam Adams draft beer
- October: $1 Zombie Drink (rum with pineapple, cherry and lime flavors)
- November: $1 Long Island Iced Tea
- December: $1 Long Island Iced Tea
11. Score free fresh fruit and veggies with Ibotta and Checkout51.
Freebie veggie and fresh fruit offers consistently appear on rebate apps like Ibotta and Checkout51. When you see these offers in the apps, head to the store, buy the produce, and show proof of purchase with a photo. Within a day or two, you’ll get money deposited into your account.
12. Receive dozens of rare, high-value coupons by asking manufacturers directly.
Ask and you will receive. . . sweet discounts and freebies!
Head to these 16 companies’ websites and click the “Contact Us” link. Write a short email (complimenting them and requesting coupons), and within a few weeks, you should receive physical manufacturer coupons that can be stacked with sales and store offers!
13. Get a price adjustment on plane tickets if you see a lower fare after you’ve booked.
Finding a cheaper flight after you just booked airfare is the worst! Luckily, you can ask for a “price adjustment” if you booked with Southwest.
Sign in to your Southwest account to view the flight reservation, and select the “Change Reservation” link. Follow the prompts to choose your new flight. If you paid with points, the difference will be returned to your account immediately. If you used cash, you’ll receive a voucher for the difference.
Originally booked over the phone? You’ll have to call Southwest at 1-800-I-FLY-SWA to have your flight adjusted.
Alaska Airlines and JetBlue also offer the fare difference back in airline credits.
14. Make sure you get all the travel freebies possible.
Travelling is expensive and there are definitely ways to travel cheaper (like learning how to hack the credit card system), but in the meantime, console yourself with freebies like free airfare refunds through Yapta, free passport photos, free tour guides and more.
15. Turn unused gift cards into cash with Cardpool.
Sell those gift cards you know you’ll never use to Cardpool, and get 92% of the balance back. Their new self-serve kiosks make the exchange easier than it’s ever been!
Check here for a location near you.
16. Let Trim cancel unwanted subscriptions and negotiate bills for you.
Ever sign up for a free one-month trial and forget to cancel before the subscription fee kicked in? Yeah. . . me too. And that’s why Trim is life-changing.
Trim is a free app that will scan your bank account (totally secure, by the way) and inform you of any recurring payments you make via text. All you have to do is respond with “Cancel Spotify” or “Cancel Netflix” in a text message, and Trim will contact the company and cancel your subscription for you.
Become the professional free-month subscriber you’ve always wanted to be.
17. Add any beauty product to your online Macy’s order to get free shipping.
It works every time.
Macy’s requires customers to spend at least $99 on their order to get free shipping. To get around this, add any beauty product — even a $4 eyeliner — and you’ll qualify for free shipping!
Thirsty for more Macy’s tips? We got you: 43 Must-Read Macy’s Store Hacks.