Here’s a snapshot of how it works:
- Download the free Pictorama application at the iTunes App Store by clicking here. Currently, the Pictorama app only works with iOS devices (iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch), although an application for Android devices is currently in the works.
- After downloading the app, take pictures or upload your current pictures from your iOS device's camera roll. Your pictures must include time and GPS tags since Pictorama will only sell pictures with time and GPS tags.
- After uploading pictures to Pictorama and tagging them with a descriptive keyword or two, wait for feedback from other users in the Pictorama community. Once your picture has received enough feedback, a Pictorama photo expert will check to see if your picture meets all of Pictorama's required standards.
- If your picture meets these standards, it will be published on the Pictorama marketplace where it will be available for purchase by other registered Pictorama users. Each time your photo is sold, you will receive 50% revenue sharing (you get half of what Pictorama sells it for). According to the company co-founder, user-uploaded pictures on Pictorama are currently selling for an average of $3 to $6 and in the near future will be priced between $5 and $10.
- If you sell a photo on Pictorama, you can collect payment by going to "My Account" and "My Sales" and then submitting a payout request via PayPal. You must make a minimum of $5 in sales before making a payout request.
- Bonus opportunity: The first 25,000 photos that are uploaded (and approved) to the Pictorama system will receive a $0.25 bonus payment in addition to the money earned through sales of that photo.
In addition to selling photos on Pictorama, you can also buy photos. If you need stock images, be sure to check out the library of images available on Pictorama as most currently sell for less than stock photos available on popular stock photo sites such as iStockPhoto or Getty Images.
Sell Your Photos on Other Stock Photography Websites
If you don't have a iOS device or aren't having too much luck selling pictures on Pictorama, check out these other sites where you can also sell your personal photos:
- Shutterstock: ShutterStock is a huge stock photography website that offers over 14.3 million photos from 280,000 contributing photographers. To become an approved contributor photographer on ShutterStock, you must undergo an application process as well as an identification verification process (you will need a government issued form of identification) and then upload ten images. To be accepted as a contributor photographer, ShutterStock must approve at least seven of your ten uploaded images. If at least seven of your ten uploaded images are not approved, you can submit ten more photos after waiting 30 days. It's free to contribute to the site, and you can earn anywhere from $0.25 to over $75 each time one of your images is sold. To sign up to become a ShutterStock contributor photographer, fill out the application form here.
- Dreamstime: Dreamstime is one of the most searched stock photography sites on the Web. To sell your photos on this site, you must undergo an application process and upload a designated amount of your personal photos to be reviewed by Dreamstime staff. If approved, your images will automatically go up for sale on the website. Depending on the image and your status on the website, you will receive 20% to 50% revenue share each time one of your images is sold. To get started, you must first go register for free on the site by clicking here. Once registered, go to the “Upload Files” option under the “Photographers” tab and follow the instructions for uploading your personal photos for consideration.