These days, sometimes it feels like Earth is not rotating around the sun anymore. Instead, we are rotating around Google. Google just keeps growing, adding new services, and becoming more essential to everyday life. Now, Google has introduced Helpouts so you can learn and earn without leaving your house!
How you can learn
Helpouts offers eight niche categories of professionals for hire via live video sessions. From therapy sessions to cooking classes, music lessons to image consulting, each professional sets their own rates and policies.
- Google's cut: Google will take a 20% cut from whatever you earn per Helpout session. However, in certain categories (such as healthcare advice) no fee will be deducted.
- How you get paid: Through Google Wallet, of course!
How you can earn
Since Google Helpouts permits you to set your own rates, this is really up to you and what your particular market will bear.
- Setting a per-minute rate.
- Setting a per-time block rate (such as per 15, 30, 45 and 60 minute intervals).
You may also consider:
- Offering your first Helpout session free of charge.
- Including reschedule/cancellation policies (with fees if needed).
- Setting up package deals for a certain number of sessions paid in advance.
Before you set up shop
There are a few pre-requisites to consider before you get started.
- You must have (or set up) a Google account.
- You must be at least 18 years old.
- You must have a webcam-equipped computer (read technical requirements HERE).
- You must be comfortable interacting via webcam.
- You must be willing to market your own services (Google will not do this for you).
How to set up shop
If you can meet these qualifications and feel like virtual work is something you would enjoy, the next step is to set up your Helpout(s).
What to do:
- Visit https://helpouts.google.com/interested.
- Request your verification code (it will arrive in your Gmail account).
- In the meantime, set up your Google Wallet Merchant account (to take payment).
- You will also want to set up your Google+ profile if you haven't already done so.
- And you may want to download the appropriate free Helpouts apps (iOS, Android).
- Once your invitation code arrives, you can begin setting up your provider profile.
- Your Helpout profile will need to be approved before you can begin.
- Once you receive approval, you can set your availability and rates and begin!
Note: The entire process is outlined HERE.
How you can save
Google Helpouts makes it easy to save money on lessons in several ways. The two examples offered here can serve as a guide for how to make Helpouts most cost effective for your needs.
- No drive time or gas expense driving to/from lessons.
- No down time while you struggle through problem resolution (computer bugs, kitchen messes, confusing homework, etc.) on your own.
- No waiting for an appointment—you can now access live video help on demand from anywhere in the world (at home or on the go with the Helpouts apps).
- Lower prices than what you would pay for brick-and-mortar based services.
- The ability to search Helpouts profiles to find the exact professional you need (you can watch intro videos, read about credentials, read reviews from other clients and more).
Example 1: Your child needs math tutoring—asap. The test is next week and there’s lots to learn and master!
- You could attempt to be your child's tutor (even though math isn't your strong suit).
- You could pay for a private in-home session (average rate $15-$50/hour).
- You could enroll your child in a tutoring program (average rate $50-$95/hour).
- You could schedule a Helpouts tutoring session for the exact time you need and even pay by the minute! Some tutors offer the first session free (which might be all your child needs) and other tutors have rates as low as $5 for 15 minutes of math tutoring.
Example 2: You’re hosting an engagement dinner for your younger sister, her fiancé, and your two families. You are not a confident cook and feel nervous about the menu.
- You could "wing it" on your own or with a friend's help for extra support.
- You could enroll in cooking classes ($75-$200 for one class) and do your best to tailor what you learn to what you need to prepare.
- You could schedule a Helpouts session with an expert chef on the exact menu you have planned, with rates as low as "free" or $2 per 15 minutes.