We're reader-supported and only partner with brands we trust. When you buy through links on our site we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date and time indicated and are subject to change.
You’re already familiar with free streaming services, but now you may be able to get a free TV, too. After weeks of rumors, the tech startup Telly — created by Pluto TV co-founder Ilya Pozin — has officially announced they’re giving away ad-supported TV units.
So, would you accept a free TV if it meant 24/7 advertising? Here’s what to know about the new Telly device, which it claims it is “the biggest thing to happen to TV since color”. Spoiler alert: It’s a smarter-than-average smart TV.
They’re only giving away 500,000 of these free TVs to start, so if you want one, read on.
For more ways to save on, well, everything, download the KCL app.
The free TV will have a second screen and a soundbar built in.
- The Telly television unit starts with a 55″ 4K HDR display. It comes with a 4K streaming stick, but you can connect your preferred streaming device (like the Amazon Fire TV Stick or a Roku). The TV also comes with a built-in sound bar that has five drivers — which are like little speakers that work together to produce sound, particularly focused on bass.
But in addition to that main screen, Telly has a second, 9″, integrated Smart Screen that has permanent ads on the right side of the screen, and a bunch of other tools on the left side — things like video calling, instant news updates, video games, a fitness studio, and more. (You’ll also come across sponsored news feeds on the left side of the display.)
Whatever you watch on the primary TV screen will impact the ads you see on the second screen.
The free TV also offers videoconferencing, online games, and a smart assistant.
In addition to just functioning as a standalone smart TV, Telly offers a bunch of other features, including:
- Home: Telly’s Home feature is like a dashboard on your TV screen, giving you the latest news, sports scores, weather updates, and more. Telly’s AI even suggests content based on your preferences.
- Video Calling: You can make video calls on the big screen, using a built-in camera.
- Game Room: To start, Telly comes with 40 different games.
- Music: Put that soundbar to good use, since Telly can access popular music services like Spotify.
- ‘Hey Telly’ Voice Assistant: Take control of your TV experience with ‘Hey Telly’. Just say the magic words, and you can set timers, ask questions, and navigate the TV’s features.
- Fitness: Telly has free advanced motion-tracking fitness programs.
Telly has started accepting applications for their free TVs.
The Free Telly website is live, and they’ve begun accepting applications for people to reserve the free TV.
To be one of the 500,000 people to get a free Telly, visit the official website, and give them your name, email address, and phone number. Then, they tell you to download the free Telly mobile app and follow the instructions to create your Telly profile “to complete your reservation”. There’s no official email or anything letting you know you’re on the list, but from all appearances, just creating an account with Telly puts you on the list.
Telly will begin shipping TVs to pre-order customers in the summer of 2023.