One of the silver linings of seeing events cancelled, stores closed, and trips postponed is the abundance of incredible, never-before-released recipes that have been shared.
Now, Ben & Jerry’s has shown up to the party, giving away the recipe for their very popular edible cookie dough.
Here’s what you need to do to make egg-free cookie dough that won’t upset your stomach (or get you sick):
Assemble 7 pretty standard ingredients.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 8 tbsp. unsalted butter (1 stick), room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tbsp. heavy cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup chocolate chips
Don’t forget to heat-treat your flour.
Normally, the baking process kills any bacteria hiding in flour, but if you’re gonna eat the cookie dough raw, you’ve gotta kill the germs another way — heat-treating.
The point is to heat the flour to 165 degrees; this can be done via microwave or in the oven (spreading the flour across a cookie sheet, cooking in 2-minute increments at 300 degrees). Regardless, a food thermometer will tell you when you’ve hit the magic number.
The dough-making process takes only about 15 minutes.
Here’s how to make the cookie dough:
- Gather the ingredients.
- Make sure your flour is heat-treated.
- In a stand mixer or using a hand mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla, cream, and salt. Mix to combine. Then add the heat treated flour and mix to incorporate.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
The dough lasts up to a week refrigerated, up to 6 months in the freezer. Make sure you put any uneaten edible cookie dough in an airtight container.
Ben & Jerry’s also released a (baked) chocolate chip cookie recipe.
You could bake the cookie dough you just made, but Ben & Jerry’s has a different recipe for that. The Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie is a much-loved vegan treat, containing 11 different ingredients:
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 1/2 cup Ben & Jerry’s Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Non-Dairy ice cream, melted
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, melted
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 10 oz. vegan mini chocolate chips
Check out the whole Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe. Total time from prep to cookies is about 30 minutes, and the recipe makes 28 cookies.