We're reader-supported and only partner with brands we trust. When you buy through links on our site we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date and time indicated and are subject to change.
One of the silver linings of seeing events cancelled, stores closed, and trips postponed is the abundance of incredible, never-before-released recipes that have been shared.
Now, Ben & Jerry’s has shown up to the party, giving away the recipe for their very popular edible cookie dough.
Here’s what you need to do to make egg-free cookie dough that won’t upset your stomach (or get you sick):
Assemble 7 pretty standard ingredients.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 8 tbsp. unsalted butter (1 stick), room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tbsp. heavy cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup chocolate chips
Don’t forget to heat-treat your flour.
Normally, the baking process kills any bacteria hiding in flour, but if you’re gonna eat the cookie dough raw, you’ve gotta kill the germs another way — heat-treating.
The point is to heat the flour to 165 degrees; this can be done via microwave or in the oven (spreading the flour across a cookie sheet, cooking in 2-minute increments at 300 degrees). Regardless, a food thermometer will tell you when you’ve hit the magic number.
The dough-making process takes only about 15 minutes.
Here’s how to make the cookie dough:
- Gather the ingredients.
- Make sure your flour is heat-treated.
- In a stand mixer or using a hand mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla, cream, and salt. Mix to combine. Then add the heat treated flour and mix to incorporate.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
The dough lasts up to a week refrigerated, up to 6 months in the freezer. Make sure you put any uneaten edible cookie dough in an airtight container.
Ben & Jerry’s also released a (baked) chocolate chip cookie recipe.
You could bake the cookie dough you just made, but Ben & Jerry’s has a different recipe for that. The Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie is a much-loved vegan treat, containing 11 different ingredients:
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 1/2 cup Ben & Jerry’s Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Non-Dairy ice cream, melted
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, melted
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 10 oz. vegan mini chocolate chips
Check out the whole Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe. Total time from prep to cookies is about 30 minutes, and the recipe makes 28 cookies.