Now, IKEA is sharing the recipe to make their much-loved Swedish meatballs — and the instructions are pretty familiar to those acquainted with the build-it-yourself furniture seller.
You’ll need 8 pretty-standard ingredients.
To make 16-20 meatballs, you’ll need:
- A little over 1 lb ground beef (500 grams)
- A little over ½ lb ground pork (250 grams)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 crushed/minced clove of garlic
- 3.5 oz breadcrumbs (100 grams)
- 1 egg
- 5 tablespoons of whole milk
- Salt and pepper
- Cooking oil
Combine the ingredients to make the meat mixture.
First, mix the beef and pork together thoroughly, breaking up any lumps. Then mix in the onion, garlic, breadcrumbs and egg. Add milk and season well with salt and pepper.
Shape the meat into small, round balls.
Place them on a clean plate and refrigerate for two hours — this will help them hold their shape while cooking.
Use a frying pan and the oven to cook the meatballs.
In a frying pan, heat cooking oil on medium heat. Add meatballs to the hot oil and brown on all sides. Then put the browned meatballs on a covered, oven-proof dish in an oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Like IKEA’s cream sauce with your meatballs? You can make that, too.
- Melt 40g of butter in a frying pan
- Whisk in 40g of plain flour and continue cooking, stirring for 2 minutes
- Stir in 150ml of vegetable stock and 150ml of beef stock
- Stir in 150ml thick double cream, 2 tsp soy sauce and 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Bring to a simmer and allow the sauce to thicken; keep stirring
Rather not cook? The meatballs are available in stores.
You can always get yourself a bag of frozen IKEA meatballs — beef or chicken — from IKEA, provided yours is open and it’s safe enough to go. The cream sauce is there, too. Normally, though, it’s also available online.